• Report: #204518

• Submitted: Fri, August 04, 2006
  • Updated: Fri, August 04, 2006

• Reported By:East Hampton Connecticut
McAfee
3965 Freedom Circle Santa Clara, California U.S.A.
  • Phone: 972-963-8000
  • Web:
  • Category: Software

McAfee Beware of McAfee Upgrade Ripoff Santa Clara California

*Consumer Comment: So... you add memory or you uninstall McAfee.

I have been using McAfee for about one year. I have had several complaints with their customer service department but today was certainly the last time. As usual I had clicked on the update box when offered "updates available". I was told to download the new download manager for McAfee. I did so. Then my McAfee Security Center was upgraded entirely to the new version. My computer came to a stand still. I thought dial up was slow but this was crazy slow. After spending four hours on the live chat with two different technicians and a supervisor I was told that my memory needed to be updated to use this new version. I would have never upgraded had I known that my system didn't meet the requirements for the new upgrade. It was never mentioned during the entire download process. I had explained this to customer service but all they could say was "I understand", "yes Michelle" and "no Michelle". They didn't have a solution other than for me to purchase more memory for my computer. My service with McAfee didn't expire until the first quarter of next year. As I mentioned earlier, I have had nothing but problems with their customer service or lack thereof, in the past. They suggested that I purchase more memory and give the upgrade a chance because the software is "amazing". I explained to them that a product could be out of this world but if it is not backed up with customer service then it is just worthless.

Michelle
East Hampton, Connecticut

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/04/2006 10:05 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/McAfee/Santa-Clara-California-95054/McAfee-Beware-of-McAfee-Upgrade-Ripoff-Santa-Clara-California-204518. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on McAfee

So... you add memory or you uninstall McAfee.

AUTHOR: Thomas - (U.S.A.)

Are there any other choices?

There are other programs available.

The September Consumer Reports has an extensive article called "Best Tools to Stop Viruses, Spam, and Spyware", complete with product ratings.