Complaint Review: Mediacom

• Submitted: Tue, November 26, 2002
  • Updated: Sat, October 25, 2003

• Reported By:Dubuque Ia
Mediacom
PO Box 119 Dubuque Iowa 52004 Dubuque, Iowa U.S.A.

Mediacom the ripoff business that doesn't give a dam Dubuque Iowa

*Consumer Comment: Have Mediacom Cable and Internet.. Horrible

*Consumer Comment: I have mediacom cable and internet there service sucks.

*UPDATE Employee: Mediacoms not THAT bad

Mediacom has to be about the worst type of compnay to deal with. They hold our small city and even more me in a monopoly. This all starts with their outrageous rates. They charge 38.00 per month for their basic cable here and that is the lowest you can go. You can no longer get the premium channels without subscribing to digital cable with packages starting at 48.95 per month which includes no premium channels.

Now i say they have a monopoly because we live in a hilly area with no nearby local tv stations the only way to get any type of reception at all (even one channel) you must either subscribe to cable or satellite tv. They know this so being the only game in town they raise their rates at least three times per year. I just today tried to go with satellite (sacrificing my local networks in favor of a lower bill) but alas because of the bluffs in my area I soon found that even that is impossible.

So cable it is. I wish someone would tell Mediacom about themselves and get them to straighten up. My second gripe with them is my bill. In october I sent them a money order for 60.00 to pay my bill as usual (it was actually 43.00) and figured that it would go on through as usual. Around the 11th of November I received a phone call from them that I had a past due balance of 43.00 and that my cable would be cut off on the 24th unless they received prompt payment I informed them that I had paid it they so much as said i was lying. So, armed with my money order receipt and verification that my money order was cashed I called them back.

They informed me that they probably had cashed it but had possibly posted it to the wrong account, so I figured this meant that they would say sorry and they would do whatever they could to correct the error, NOPE the snide little man on the other end of the line informed me that it was my duty to find out where the money had gone and my responsibility to get the money back to pay them with. Now since I had written the money order out to Mediacom I could not stop payment nor recoup any of the money paid out (cant' really blame Traveler's Express for that) so i end up stuck paying someone else's cable bill Merry christmas to them! in short, Mediacom sucks and should be rode out of town on a rail!

Randy
Dubuque, Iowa

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/26/2002 07:24 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mediacom/Dubuque-Iowa-52004/Mediacom-the-ripoff-business-that-doesnt-give-a-dam-Dubuque-Iowa-36393. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mediacom

Have Mediacom Cable and Internet.. Horrible

AUTHOR: Christina - (U.S.A.)

We have had three bill increases in a year, poor picture quality, and our High speed cable only works part of the day. We are buying a home next year and we will drop them for Satelite then. We live in Columbia, Mo so the statement of the rebuttal "Yes we tend to raise our rates alot BUT and thats a big BUT, if you look at where Mediacom delivers service you'll see its the markets that NO ONE WANTS! Mediacoms nitch market is RUAL MARKETS!" is wrong! We pay $42 a month for just cable internet with our own modem (yes we would have to pay them for not having cable) but we have to pay over $80 a month for both cable and internet. Mediacom took over AT&T cable and I wish they had not. We had better quality channels, lower prices, and we could get online all the time and with faster speeds than mediacom. Get Sat. It's better.

I have mediacom cable and internet there service sucks.

AUTHOR: Shaun - (U.S.A.)

they are always very rude when you call them to ask about anything.i was charged 50 dollars when i moved and i called up to ask about it and was treated very rudely and they said i was lucky i wasnt charged 75 but when my brother and sister moved in the same area they were only charged 25.

my internet only works right about half the time with there supposed upgrades,that do no good,it gets slower all the time and in there comercials they say it is so fast and the cable vs sattelite saying you dont have to pay for local channels hmmm what do you think basic cable is and you cant get expanded without basic so how are you not paying for local channels and local channels are only 6 dollars with satellite, basic is far higher. and they always go off on satellite well how do you get your channels,a magic wire that runs all across the usa no it is through satellites bigger and better but still influenced by the same problems.

one last note digital cable is horrible compared to sattelite the channel line up is horrible just left over crap to get you into it and make you want to upgrade to the better more expensive packages that are rediculous if it wasnt for internet mediacom would have no customers and if the internet keeps going this way they will be out of business.

mediacom please rebutle everything here is 100 percent true and i would love to give you dates examples addresses etc and please say some of those stupid employee training things that make you look even more stupid and trained i would like that thank you

Mediacoms not THAT bad

AUTHOR: THE CABLE MAN - (U.S.A.)

I work for mediacom in customer service. And I have to say I am sorry. Yes we tend to raise our rates alot BUT and thats a big BUT, if you look at where Mediacom delivers service you'll see its the markets that NO ONE WANTS! Mediacoms nitch market is RUAL MARKETS! Ones that no other cable company wants to spend the time trying to keep up and then pay the money to update to the latest and best tech. Yea the rates are high and there was another rate increase effective FEB 1st. But thats just the cost of doing business and providing our SUBS with quality service and timely service calls.

Im sorry bout your problem with the billing. But its the only thing around so guess you will have to deal with it!.

Have a nice day