Complaint Review: Meerkat Construction, Inc.

• Submitted: Thu, January 22, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, June 11, 2010

• Reported By:Huber Heights Ohio
Meerkat Construction, Inc.
4819 AIRWAY RD Dayton, Ohio U.S.A.

Meerkat Construction, Inc. FRAUD,SCAM,THIEF Dayton Ohio

*Author of original report: Half Truths and misinformation

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: How Meerkat Construction Did The Right Thing

*Author of original report: Updated Business Information

*Author of original report: *UPDATE ..

Do not hire this guy Kevin Thomas. He will take your down payment and run off with it. He never does the job. You don't need to take my word for it. Check the Montgomery County PRO system online. Just Google it if you don't know this system. If you have been scammed by this guy skip small claims and file a grand theft report with your local police. This guy needs to be shut down permanently.

Tag123
Huber Heights, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/22/2009 09:43 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Meerkat-Construction-Inc/Dayton-Ohio-45431/Meerkat-Construction-Inc-FRAUDSCAMTHIEF-Dayton-Ohio-414802. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Meerkat Construction, Inc.

Half Truths and misinformation

AUTHOR: anonymous - (U.S.A.)

In response to the previous post by exemployee I must say that your response is full of half truths. I did find the business add in the Q-pon book as I do many reputable businesses. However, Meerkat Construction turned out to be anything but this in my experience.

The check from the insurance company, which was written to my wife and I only was never the issue. We did endorse the check to Meerkat Construction but not the insurance company as stated above.

Our original issue with Meerkat was the delay in starting the job. We where told the crew would begin one day only to have nobody show up to begin working without a phone call. This is completely unprofessional and unacceptable. After several weeks of excuses we decided to terminate the work order.

It is also true that Meerkat contacted the Oho Attorney General but again you couldnt stick with the full truth. Kevin didnt contact them on his own accord. I had contacted the Ohio Attorney General for assistance in the matter since Kevin refused to refund the monies we had paid. After the Ohio Attorney General got involved Kevin finally decided to work on resolving the issue. Again, I want to thank the Attorney Generals office for their wonderful assistance in this matter.

When a contractor is hired and paid either in full or part and refuses to refund the monies when no work has been completed it is considered grand theft by law. This is why I was instructed by an officer to file a grand theft charge against Kevin Thomas many weeks after requesting a refund. I have never had an issue like this with any business ever before.

The bottom line is this. I hired Meerkat Construction to work on my home and they came up with excuse after excuse of why they never showed up to do the job without even a courtesy call. We gave them several chances over many weeks to begin the job but they never did. At some point enough is enough and you have to make the decision of putting up with this kind of crap or not and we chose not to. We terminated the work order and requested our monies to be returned. After this request wasnt respected we turned to the BBB and the Ohio Attorney General for assistance. When this wasnt yielding the results we expected we contacted the Police and reported the situation. Following their advice we sent a letter to Meerkat Construction informing them they where committing Grand Theft for not returning our monies as we have requested. We requested the monies be returned within the time advised by the police and again we hadnt received our refund so we contacted the police again and filed a Grand Theft charge against them. The whole process we had to go through just to get our monies refunded was ridiculous to say the least. To say Kevin Thomas is an honest man after all this is unacceptable. I stand 100% behind my advice to hire another company than this one. What anyone chooses to do is up to them but I have warned everyone. I am happy to report that within 1 week of receiving our monies back we hired a contractor who did show up and begin the work as agreed. The job was finished ahead of time and surpassed our expectation. Its a wonderful thing when you hire someone to do a job and it is actually done as it should be.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

How Meerkat Construction Did The Right Thing

AUTHOR: SL - (United States of America)

I used to work for this company and I want to say this is a scam on the customers side that went wrong for them.  They hired Meerkat Construction to replace a roof on their house.  This was an insurance claim from a storm.  They contacted Meerkat through an add ran through the Q pon book.  It would not surprise me if the owner of the Q pon book was in on this scam.  After hiring the Meerkat Construction the insurance cut a down payment check in the name of the home owner, Meerkat Construction and I believe the mortgage company.  Once all signatures were signed Meerkat Construction deposited the check.  With this being an insurance check, the check may take up to (10) for the funds to be available.  After about (3) days the home owner begin daily calling to see if the funds were available yet.  Once the funds became available the home owner no longer wanted Meerkat Construction to do the job.  They asked Meerkat Construction to refund the funds.  However they wanted the funds to be refunded directly back to them and did not want Meerkat Construction to put the Mortgage Company on the refund check.

For those of you reading and don't see what is going on here.  The home owner has to have a reputable company put a bid on the roof.  The insurance cuts check including the contractor on the check.  This assures the roof will be completed and if it is not they can go after the contractor.  This also secure the mortgage company if they have to forclose on the property they repairs paid for by the insurance company has been completed and limits the home owner from taking the money and running. This has been a growing problem in insurance fraud.

While the customer was demanding the monies back.  The husband begin threating the owner saying his wife worked for the sheriff company, which later on we found out she does, he also called the BBB and filed the complaint, after the BBB checked into this they found what the customer was complaining about did not add up, and last he filed a report with Ripoff Report.  At any time Meerkat Construction was willing to refund the funds back to the customer as long as they could list the mortgage company on the check.  The way this was solved the owner of Meerkat Construction called the Ohio Attorney General and they told him this is a growing fraud practice with home owners.  They suggested Meerkat Construction contact the mortgage company an make them aware of what the home owner is doing.  After they contacted the mortgage company.  The mortgage company told them to get a release from the owner.  Once all this was completed Meerkat Construction refunded the monies back to the home owner.  As far as the Q bok Meerkat Construction received (2) other calls asking for bid and then wanting the monies back after the checks clear.  Meerkat Construction during this time did alot of advertising with alot of companies and the only calls requesting the funds back came from the customers who called out of the Q bok.  This just seems funny.  Also in regards to Kevin Thomas he is an honest guy.  His company has doubled in the last year and most of this is from referrals.  If you want to know why I wrote this about a past employer is because he hired me when nobody else would for reasons I would not like to disclose. He let me work part time and sent me back to high school to get my degree.  After high school he sent me to Sinclair to get my associates degree.  What ever money my assistance did not pay he paid.  I know have a job in which I am making double the monies I did with Meerkat Construction.  It was hard to leave but Kevin and I both knew it was for the best.  I am not the only one Kevin has and I am sure till helps out.  He is a good guy and as far as Meerkat Construction they are top notch.

AUTHOR: anonymous - (U.S.A.)

Meerkat Construction, Inc has changes their phone number and address to the following:

*UPDATE ..

AUTHOR: anonymous - (U.S.A.)

Update:

Meerkat Construction Inc. has fulfilled our request for a refund which brings my dispute to an end with this company. I still stand by my previous statements and that I have nothing positive to say about my experience with this company however, I leave the decision to do business with them up to anyone who reads this dispute. For anyone ever hiring someone to do any type of work I highly recommend that you NEVER put any money down until the project is completed. As for any contractors/businesses who may be reading this I recommend that you focus on the following issues. Clearly communicate your customers to insure there are no misunderstandings. Always follow through with your word because once the trust is lost between the contractor and the client It is near impossible to maintain any type of business relationship. Treat people with respect just as you would like in return. Be prompt in starting and finishing the job and never continually miss a start date or appointment. If you follow these basic values the business deal should end satisfactory for everyone involved.

I am requesting this complaint be removed as requested by Meerkat Construction Inc. I read an article on this website about how a business with a complaint such as this one can turn the complaint against them into a positive example of how they can handle a difficult situation. However, our experience with resolving our complaint only made it more evident of Meerkat Construction Inc, Kevin Thomas's lack of communication, punctuality, and trustworthiness. I hope Kevin can use this complaint to better his business ethics and practices to become a better businessman in the future.

I want to give a special thanks to everyone at Rippoffreport.com for all the information you provide and helping to give us a voice to educate others of our experiences.

unlike