We are trying to buy property in Chicago and Michael Ramstedt is the realtor for the owner. Michael, so far, has hampered our negotiations in the following manner:
1. Michael misrepresented the property in the listing in several ways. He indicated that the property: had oil heat (it has a gas); had a wood-burning fireplace (it has a broken inoperable fireplace); had fireplaces in all three units (there is one 'inoperable fireplace'); had dishwashers in two units (it had a dishwasher in one unit).
2. Michael did not inform us (the buyers) that one of the furnaces in the building was broken.
3. Michael refused to produce a disclosure statements within the specified time, and, when reminded that this could cause legal problems for him, threatened to stop negotiations.
4. Michael indicated that the owner would perform several repairs that the owner later indicated he knew nothing about (e.g., stabilizing the back deck, performing ceiling repairs in one unit). Although the owner later agreed to perform the repairs, Michael initially misrepresented the information and, as a result, damaged our belief that he will perform his duties in a conscienious manner.
5. Michael, acting as the owner's agent, accepted deposit money from renters that he knew we, the purchasers, would not approve. This act was not in compliance with prior agreed-upon terms between us (the buyers) and the owner. Although Michael was told by the owner that these terms should be accepted, and Michael was in the room when these terms were discussed between all of us, he claims he "forgot" when accepting the rent deposit.
6. Michael, also a tenant in the property we are trying to purchase, indicated that he would send a copy of all the leases in the building to our realtor and/or our lawyer in order for us to secure a loan with our bank; however, when he did not forward the leases when he promised to, he admitted that he did not have the kind of lease he told us he did, and that he wanted to rewrite the current lease to better protect himself prior to giving it to our realtor. This action will delay and possibly prevent us from obtaining funding to purchase this property.
Michael Ramstedt's attitude throughout this process has appeared to be arrogant and his actions counter-productive and destructive. We do not trust his ability to perform as a realtor and we do not recommend him as a real estate agent.