Complaint Review: microsoft

• Submitted: Wed, January 04, 2012
  • Updated: Wed, January 04, 2012

• Reported By: hulio — Alabama United States of America

microsoft xbox live over-charged charged twice charged for bogus points claim to have been hacked will not delete Internet

*UPDATE Employee: This is hilarious.

I was chared for over $125 worth of points for a soccer game through xbox live two weeks after I gave microsoft my credit card number for a $1 promotion they had for a month of xbox live. I have a years worth of cards but figured hey you can't beat a dollar.

I called microsoft explained and in the first phone call found out the same thing had been happening for several months with the same game. You would think the game would be a flag for them now for suspicious activity when you email adress and password change the same day you make a purchase.

Anyway I asked that my info be deleted so that no further charges be made and asked to dispute the charges. before I got off the phone I asked how long it should take and was told up to 10 days. I called back the next day after I had got the information they needed to complete the dispute.

The first time I started to get angry with microsoft is when the person on the phone asked four the last 4 of my cc again for verification. I explaine that my information needed to be removed and was told that she could not do that but that my account had been locked. At this point I got agitated and began a discussion about how my account was hacked in the first place during which I found out you can guess at your account password all day and it won't lock but that microsoft has very secure servers and they can not be hacked and was told that they must have gotten my info from somewhere else.

At this point she told me that their investigation had been completed already. I explained that there was no refund in my account so the investigation could not be complete and that I was not happy with their "investigation." She explained that it could take up to 2 MONTHS for me to get a refund.
Now I get decent interest on the account that this money came out of and if it had been a credit card that microsoft gave to someone to use I'm sure I would be paying the interest on that.

I told her that I wanted to pursue it further or reopen it and press charges and that I wanted my info deleted immediately. I was told that my credit information could not be deleted until I got a refund which wold be who knows when "literally."

Anyway I would like to file a class action against microsoft for all of the fraudulent charges they have made, which until they prove otherwise is what I consider mine because my statement says microsoft and they  seemed very uninterested in pressing charges against whoever has been doing this since at least 6 months ago and it was just a little to convenient on the timing of the whoe thing. (the account has been open 4 years but it wasn't hacked until two weeks after they got my credit card.)

For the trouble they offered the 1 month temporary account, please if it is going to take at least two to straighten out?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/04/2012 02:28 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/microsoft/internet/microsoft-xbox-live-over-charged-charged-twice-charged-for-bogus-points-claim-to-have-been-817924. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on microsoft

This is hilarious.

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (USA)

Your account is your responsibility. Investigations take time. You can't expect to be put ahead of everyone else. Microsoft did not decide one day, "Hey! Let's charge this person for some random video game! That will be sooo cool!!" Someone with the password or access to your account purchased a game with your information through Microsoft. We can't lock and investigate every single account that chooses to purchase a game. That's absurd. Also, the terms of use state you cannot sue. You couldn't sue over that anyway... seriously. Your password got cracked... not Microsoft's fault. There are tips on the website to help keep your account secure. We will ask for the last 4 of the CC on your account regardless if you deleted it or not.. it's a way to verify that it's you. The computer prompts us for it and will match it to what was on file. Would you like someone else to call in with your name and information and get your email address, steps to reset your password, address, etc? No? Then don't whine about having to verify who you are on the phone. We do our jobs to protect you. Like.. remove your credit card from the account when you call to report any unauthorized activity. That's done immediately per standard procedure to protect you. Like I said, we still need to verify it to make sure it's you. Secondly, we can tell if you made the charges or not. Well, you or a child.. Whoever. We can see exactly what console made what purchase when and from where. Also, to press charges, you have to go through your law enforcement agency. We aren't cops and we aren't authorized to give you any information. We never will be. Would you want us giving your address and information to some stranger? Didn't think so. Have the police call if you want to press charges. Don't whine when we do our job to keep your information safe. Passwords get cracked all the time, no matter where or on what. I've had my email and yahoo passwords cracked before and some video game accounts even when I thought they were impossible. You have to change it regularly, and even then, you're always at risk. You can't blame Microsoft or sue Microsoft. We aren't Sony. We don't get hacked and have your billing information stolen. The worst someone can do is guess YOUR password, after which they can do what they please. You can call and report it, we can fix it, but it takes time. You're not the first person, nor the last. There is no way to completely safe guard an account. If you don't want your stuff at risk, don't put it online, ever. Ever. Don't use online banking, don't use email, don't play games.. Or go strictly prepaid cards. Even then, you're still at risk. It's a risk you take on the internet. There are bad people out there. Microsoft is not one of them.

continuous