Complaint Review: Mike Lyons

• Updated: Sun, December 27, 2009

• Reported By: ProMod — NYC New York United States of America
Mike Lyons
203 west 23rd st NY, NY 10010 New York, New York United States of America

Mike Lyons Barry Godin Model Agent Fakes claimed bankruptcy kept Models Money Pro - Scout New York, New York

*UPDATE Employee: My Experience with Barry Godin and Mike Lyons

*UPDATE Employee: My Experience

These people owned R-L Models and chelsea talent. They claimed they were filing chapter 7 bankruptcy and never did they stopped paying their talent and cliamed clients hadn't paid them when in fact they had. This agency number 3 for these people with basically the same outcome.. They then claimed they never really owned the company thus had no responsibility. Mike Lyons is a featured speaker and agent at Pro scout Model Search. He now works at Silver Models who also billed some of R-L jobs booked under R-L .  Mary Lyons works at the Star Ledger newspaper and Barry Godin works for eclectic Props

620 W

26 St NY NY 10001

T: (212) 645-8880    F: (212) 243-6508

. they live together in Rahway with 6 models who pay the rent on a house which ironically burned to the ground. Mike Lyons owes IRS and wasn't claiming a salary instead taking petty cash and rent from Models as payment from the company
Former companies include Lyons group and lights camera flex.  These are people to beware of.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/27/2009 10:41 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mike-Lyons/New-York-New-York-10010/Mike-Lyons-Barry-Godin-Model-Agent-Fakes-claimed-bankruptcy-kept-Models-Money-Pro-Sc-545769. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mike Lyons

My Experience with Barry Godin and Mike Lyons

AUTHOR: Joe - ()

I met Mike Lyons and Barry Godin in March of 2006 when they worked as talent agents within R&L Fitness Models.  I began working with them in my pursuit to break into the modeling/acting industry.  The first job I booked was for a fitness magazine, and I remember it took a few months to get paid for the job.  At that time I began to question the legitimacy of R&L due to the time it took to receive payment.

What I know now because I am a union member of SAG/AFTRA and AEA, is that many non union jobs take up to 180 days to receive payment.  For someone coming into this industry it is important to know that success does not happen over night, and it takes years to become a union member.  I started my pursuit of becoming a professional actor while attending HB Studios in 1997.  I became a union member of Actors Equity Association (AEA) in 2009, and just recently became a union member of Screen Actors Guild/American Federation of Televsion and Radio Artists (SAG/AFTRA) in March of 2013.  That is 16 years!

16 years of disappointment, liars and vindictive people, only to end up in triumph and victory.  Well maybe not 16 years, I did take a small 9 year sabbatical in 1999 to join the Marine Corps, and while on active duty during one of my breaks in service, or while on leave; I met Barry Godin and Mike Lyons in 2006 as I stated in my opening sentence.  Today I am proud to say I still work for them, or even better, they work for me.

When I say they work for me, I do not mean that in a condenseding way, but they work harder for me to get me an audition, than I do for myself.  Guess what?  Rhetorical!  They dont get paid one single penny until "I" book a job.  Barry and Mike work tirelessly submitting me for auditions on a daily basis, and I am lucky if I get 1 audition a week.  When I do get that audition however, it is up to me to book the job so we both can get paid.  And yes, being a union member means you get paid for all jobs within 30 days, but it has always been 14 days so far.

It is not all rose gardens and cotton candy and ice cream with Mike Lyons and Barry Godin.  We have had our differences, and there have been many doubts over the seven years I have known them.  I wonder if other relationships are like that?      If they are not, then I would really question the loyalty of said relationship.  There is a wonderful quote in the Marine Corps. "We didnt promise you a rose garden."  And this business of modeling and acting is one in the same if not worse.  Gotta have thick skin, and I am still developing mine.

Barry Godin and Mike Lyons are two men I call friends, associates and business partners.  Sure they had some issues in the past, just like myself, or like most people, but failure only counts if you stay down.  You gotta brush yourself off and keep leaning forward. I will go to bat for these guys anyday of the week because I know they will do the same for me.  You gotta give to get my friends who read this.

In closing, Barry Godin and Mike Lyons are still my talent managers and agents, and I am proud to say so. I trust them!    We have done very well this year together.  We booked 1 Primetime TV show and 3 feature films, all in which I perform in scenes with A-list actors.  I look forward to the years to come, and if you are reading this rebuttal, my advice to you is this:

Don't listen to the gripes of one or even a few people who lack the wherewithal or intestinal fortitude. Be a "courageous knower," and find out for yourself!

My Experience

AUTHOR: kmilkie - ()

I have worked closely with Barry Godin and Mike Lyons for over a year now and can safely say that these people, indeed, pose no threat to their talent or co-workers. From my experience these are some of the hardest working men around, and, from what I know, speak very straight forward about issues or concerns.  This fact is respectable in a bussiness world that is marred by 'shadiness'.  Also, over the past year I have recieved all payments for jobs booked through the company. This has not been an issue.  I cannot speak for events that occured during 2008, however I can, from my personal experience, help to set the record straight.  I do trust these men.