Complaint Review: Mike's Garage

• Submitted: Tue, December 11, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, October 27, 2008

• Reported By:Vero Beach Florida
Mike's Garage
596 Old Dixie Hwy Vero Beach, Florida U.S.A.

Mike's Garage Tried to sell me a new engine because vehicle wouldn't start Vero Beach Florida

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: once again

I recently had my vehicle towed here after it stalled because AAA uses them for their towing service. The mechanic told me that I needed a new engine because it was losing compression into the radiator because there were bubbles blowing into the radiator. Keep in mind that at this point the engine does not start, so I asked the mechanic how he could tell there were bubbles blowing into the radiator if the engine was not running. I told him I didn't believe him and wanted my vehicle outside their gate.

At this point they charged me $40 for their "diagnosis" because I didn't want their services anymore and told me that I had been a problem customer ever since I had walked in the door and I shouldn't question their mechanic because he had 35 years experience. Even after I paid the $40 they didn't want to put my vehicle outside their gate, and told me to call AAA again if I wanted it towed. Well, finally it did get towed to another mechanic.

Well what do you know. It didn't need a new engine. The distributor cap had gone bad, that's why it had stalled and would not get a spark to restart, not because there were phantom bubbles blowing into the radiator. These scammers thought I would not get a second opinion because they effectively had my vehicle hostage inside their gates and would not release it without me calling AAA to have it towed. I reported this to AAA, but they said that they had no control over the garage, just the towing service.

STAY AWAY from this garage.

Harkfu
Vero Beach, Florida

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/11/2007 06:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mikes-Garage/Vero-Beach-Florida-32960/Mikes-Garage-Tried-to-sell-me-a-new-engine-because-vehicle-wouldnt-start-Vero-Beach-Flor-290773. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mike's Garage

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

once again

AUTHOR: Maricia - (U.S.A.)

the customer was given options of where he wanted his vehicle towed to. he picked our garage our of several options. when the van got here, a mechanic quickly diagnosed the problem...there was no compression in the cylinder heads, which meant the head could be cracked, bad head gasket, ect... the customer was told it was a possible motor but needed to be taken apart the rest of the way to see if that was exactly the problem. the customer did not want us to finish disassembling the vehicle and told us to put it back together and he was going to have it towed somewhere else. our garage charged him 40.00 for the mechanics 90 minutes he had on the vehicle, which the customer thought he shouldn't have to pay anything. it's just like going to a dealership, if you have them diagnose a problem, but not fix it, you have to pay for the mechanic's time. Also, when you go to the medical doctor, he diagnoses you with a ailment, you decide to go to another doctor for a second opinion, you still are required to pay the first and second doctor.....