Complaint Review: Mission Yamaha, Inc.

• Submitted: Mon, September 24, 2001
  • Updated: Tue, August 17, 2004

• Reported By:Mission Viejo CA
Mission Yamaha, Inc.
25891 Crown Valley Parkway Laguna Niguel, California U.S.A.

Mission Yamaha, Inc. & Yamaha Motor Corp. USA/ product ro[-off misrepresentation

*Consumer Comment: Yamaha is not getting anymore of my business

*Consumer Comment: TEST YOUR BOAT BEFORE YOU BUY

*Consumer Comment: I will no longer do business with a company that does not believe in customer service.

*Consumer Suggestion: Learn To Drive Your Boat.

*Consumer Comment: Nature of a 2 stroke

*Consumer Suggestion: Same engine as the Waverunner

*Consumer Comment: Large Ogar???

*Consumer Comment: if you wanted a boat buy a boat

*0: Mission Yamaha & Yamaha Motor Corp. USA/Product Mis-representation

On August 27, 2000, I purchased a model year 2000 Yamaha LS2000 boat from Mission Yamaha, who is an exclusive dealer for Yamaha products in Mission Viejo, CA. This is a jet boat which was promoted as a ski and recreational boat by the dealers whom I had spoken to prior to purchasing the boat, and also in the factory literature and promotional video that I had viewed.

I bought the boat on the premise that I would be using the boat to tow skiers and wake boarders. The first time that I used the boat to tow a skier was when I was towing my adult son. When I hit the throttle the first time, one engine died. I tried again, then the other engine died. On the third attempt, the boat surged forward so abruptly that it nearly pulled my son's arms from his sockets. Luckily he wasn't seriously hurt. We took the boat to a local Yamaha authorized boat repair shop (we were out of town/on vacation). The repairman told us he needed to make adjustments. He further told us that our boat dealer should have taken the boat out on the water to test it and make any adjustments necessary prior to releasing the boat to us.

The next time we took the boat out for water-skiing, we noticed that the engines would either lose power or surge forward for no apparent reason. This would cause the skiers we were towing to lose their balance and cause them to fall. Luckily, the injuries suffered thus far were only moderate.

We have tried NUMEROUS times to have this problem fixed, but to no avail. Finally, I was told first by Mission Yamaha, then by a Yamaha Motor Corp. technical rep, and finally Yamaha Motor Corp. customer service, Mr. Jim Moore, that this boat has a "trait" whereby the motors will increase or decrease 500-1000 rpm's without notice when trying to operate the boat at 23-30 mph while towing a skier or wake boarder in the water. In other words, this boat cannot be used for what it was advertised to be used for. I was told that I could compensate for this "trait" by running the engines at two different speeds, but then it would be very difficult to keep the boat moving in a straight fashion.

I've tried both personally and through my attorney to resolve this matter with Mission Yamaha and with Yamaha Motor Corp., with no results. I've literally been told that this "trait" cannot be "fixed"--that this is inherent with these motors.

I've begged, pleaded, reasoned, and threatened. All I am asking for is to return the boat and get the purchase price for the boat back. I am not asking for any other expenses. Both companies have put me off, saying that this "trait" is inherent to the type of engines in this boat, yet there is nothing in the owner's manual that states this, nor was there a disclaimer given to me. If this is the case, this boat should NEVER have been promoted as being a ski boat. This is an obvious case of misrepresentation of a product. Furthermore, these companies basically said I am stuck with this boat. These companies know that for me to pursue this case civilly would probably cost more than what the boat is worth.

If there is anything you can do to help me, I would surely appreciate it.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/24/2001 12:00 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Mission-Yamaha-Inc/Laguna-Niguel-California-92677/Mission-Yamaha-Inc-Yamaha-Motor-Corp-USA-product-ro-off-misrepresentation-6763. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Mission Yamaha, Inc.

Yamaha is not getting anymore of my business

AUTHOR: Jordan - (U.S.A.)

I also bought a LS2000 from yamaha in the summer of 2001. When I bought it, it came with a three year warranty. The first season I used the boat it worked great, then I took it in at the end of the season to have them store it. The first time that I put my boat in the water, it kept stalling. The gas gage didnt work anymore, and there was something obviously wrong with the boat.

I got the boat to stay on and gave it full throttle. One engine would go up to half power and the other was at full. I took it in to have it fixed. THEY HAD MY BOAT FOR TWO SEASONS AND COULDNT FIX IT!!! The would call and say that they had it fixed and i would drive two and a half hours and try it out only to have the same problem. I recieved "its fixed" calls seven of eight times. I tried to contact yamaha several times, but they suck in my opinion.

I finally got in touch with them after two seasons of wasted warranty and no boating time. Those great guys at yahama, do you know what they did? Yes, they did the cheap thing and paid for a tech to fly to Mississippi where my boat was and work on it personally. That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard of and if i ever was to buy a boat again(which seems to be soon)it will NOT be with the lazy, ignorant people from yamaha. Oh yeah, by the way....my warranty expired at the beginning of this season...about a month after i got my boat back. Thanks Yamaha!

TEST YOUR BOAT BEFORE YOU BUY

AUTHOR: TROY - (U.S.A.)

I HAVE OWNED AN LS200O SINCE MAY OF 2000 AND HAVE EXPERIENCED THE STALING THAT IS MENTIONED HERE. BASICALLY THE LS2000 IS A GOOD SKI/WAKE BOARD BOAT, BUT YOU HAVE TO GET THE ENGINES WARMED UP BEFORE YOU START TO SKI. IF YOU KEEP THE ENGINES RUNNING WHILE YOUR SKIER IS GETTING READY YOU SHOULDN'T EXPERIENCE NEAR AS MUCH STALING. IT'S A REAL PAIN TO FIND THIS OUT AFTER YOU'D PURCHASED SOMETHING,BUT IT IS ALWAYS THE BEST POLICY TO TEST DRIVE SOMETHING FIRST. I DIDN'T KNOW UNTIL AFTER I BOUGHT MINE, BUT HAVE LEARNED TO ADJUST MY DRIVING HABITS.

AUTHOR: Laura - (U.S.A.)

Apparently the two proud owners of the LS2000 did not read the report. I would suggest you read the report before you criticize another person.

The gentlemen was told by a technician that adjustments needed to be made and then at a later date, from multiple "Yamaha" parties, he was told that the problem is a "trait" problem. Hopefully the owner got this in writing! If he didn't get this in writing then it is your word against their word and unfortunately it looks as if Mission Yamaha is going back on their word.
What ever happened to Customer Service?

Thank you to the gentlemen who wrote this report for other consumers because I will no longer do business with a company that does not believe in customer service.

The reality is you just lost another sale!

#4 Consumer Suggestion

Learn To Drive Your Boat.

AUTHOR: David - ()

Hello, I am a proud owner of an LS2000. I think your problem is how you drive your boat. I have been wakeboarding behind my boat and have been pulling wakeboarders. When you pull a boarder out of the water you must give your boat much more power in order to go to a "plane". Upon reaching cruising speed, you must adjust your throtltle to compensate for less power to cruise at about 30-35 mph. For example if you need 5000rpm to pull your son out of the water, you dont keep it at 5000rpm if you reach your cruising speed. Pull the levers back about half way, and adjust accordingly. If you leave the throttle as is, that will cause your boat to lunge forward because your boat needs less power after you plane. It also helps to make sure the engine is in operating temp before you pull a skier to avoid the engine shutting off.

Nature of a 2 stroke

AUTHOR: CJ - ()

I am the PROUD owner of an Yamaha LS2000. I recently purchased it even after reading the rip-off comment. I believe his problems to be operator error and poor judgement. The Yamaha LS2000 is a twin engine, 2 stoke setup. It has different characteristics then a four stroke motor. Much more power-for-weight, and very fast revving. 2 strokes also have some things that need to be understood.

He states the engines died when hit the throttle for the first time. Normal operation is to slightly rev the motors for a few seconds. 2 strokes tend to load up fuel and oil in the cylinder, and need to be revved up a few times after idling for any long period. This cleans the plug and cylinder. He did not mention anything about his break-in period.

He is also correct in that at around 4000 rpm, it tends to jump up to around 5000 rpm...it is called a powerband. Every engine has one. On a 2 stroke, it tends to be more noticeable.

It is also true that the easiest compensation is to leave one motor at 4000rpm and the other at 5000rpm(if you need to be that precise with your speed). With the engines set like that, and a slight turn of the wheel, it moves forward very straight indeed.

This boat works very well to pull even two skiers, and has great power. It planes within 2-3 seconds, even with 5 passengers. It handles amazingly well, and is very easy to operate.

Continue to reasearch this boat, and you will find out the truth behind this awesome machine!!

#6 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Brett - ()

This boat has the same engine(s) as the Waverunner, known as the best PWC in the industry. Its' ironic that I can pull a skier with my Waverunner (albeit a small skier) which has only one of the engines in this gentlemens boat. I'm not sure of the dynamics of this whole situation but I'm quite sure this boat should perform as a "real boat", which it is. I believe you have a lemon and should be assisted by the factory and not the dealer. I have been a customer of Mission Yamaha since 98 and then again in 99. I wouldn't have bought a second Waverunner if they were ripping people off. In any business, I think this issue is isolated. I also think that it is harsh criticism to call another man Shrek!

#7 Consumer Suggestion

#8 Consumer Suggestion

Large Ogar???

AUTHOR: Terry - ()

Whom ever called him a large ogr. Thats funny. It is the ignorant like you whom make things like this difficult. Look at power to weight ratio. These "little boats" should have no problems what so ever in pulling skis or wake boards. Get real. I have never heard of these boats having this kind of problem.

if you wanted a boat buy a boat

AUTHOR: gordon - ()

you are a large ogar if you think a little ass boat is going to pull a skier if you wanted that you should have bought a real boat instead of trying to drag the names of the great guys at mission yamaha through the mud

#11 0

Mission Yamaha & Yamaha Motor Corp. USA/Product Mis-representation

AUTHOR: - ()

If, at all possible, please help me get my money back.