Complaint Review: Miva Merchant, Inc.

• Submitted: Fri, October 04, 2013
  • Updated: Fri, October 04, 2013

• Reported By: About to Become a Former Miva Merchant Hosting Partner — Boston Massachusetts
Miva Merchant, Inc.
San Diego, California USA

Miva Merchant, Inc. Miva Merchant Miva Merchant Steals Customers from Hosting Partners San Diego California

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: This is an odd use of Rip Off Report

I have been a Miva Merchant reseller and hosting partner of over 15 years. As a Miva partner we are issued licenses from Miva which we pay for and the cost of which is included in our customer's hosting fees.

About 18 months ago they started raising their license fees at an alarming rate, about 300% in several steps over about 1 year. This caused many of our hosting and web design customers to seek other solutions costing us a lot of lost business. Customers were very upset over the increases.

After dealing with all that, we starting having to absorb much of these increases ourselves eating into our profits just to keep customers who were protesting the price increases from walking away.  Afterall they are our customer and although we explained what Miva was doing we ultimately got blamed becuase they were doing business with us and we recommended Miva to them. [continued below]....

.....

Today, I discovered the ultimate insult! A customer asked me to help them with some updates. I logged into their Miva administration panel and I found a BIG message filling most of the window telling MY Customer which I originally sold, developed, and supported over many years that is they leave my hosting and swith to their hosting Miva will give them FREE hosting until 2014. Talk about corporate greed, biting the hand that feeds them and tryin to cut their partners out of the picture.

I have been in the hosting business since there was an Internet and never experienced anything like this in over 20 years. I will contact my customers that are still using Miva and encourage them to get them to leave Miva for another solution we have started to use.

People should keep in mind that if Miva will try to seal their partner's customers, imagine what they may eventually do to their stolen end users down the road.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/04/2013 04:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Miva-Merchant-Inc/San-Diego-California-92112/Miva-Merchant-Inc-Miva-Merchant-Miva-Merchant-Steals-Customers-from-Hosting-Partners-Sa-1089574. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Miva Merchant, Inc.

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

This is an odd use of Rip Off Report

AUTHOR: Rick W. - ()

While it's not clear to me which partner is writing this, I find this to be an odd use of Rip Off Report. As I understand it, Rip Off Report is designed to share your grievances when you pay for a service and it's not delivered as expected.

In this case, we have a partner who's making no such claim, they're simply upset about our switch from being a distributed software company to a Software as a Service company.

With that said, there's a lot of background that should be added for anyone reading this.

We began selling licenses to web hosting companies back in 1998 and in 2009 we switched the focus of our company due to changes in the market and begain offering our service directly to our customers instead of via a third party.

We find this is a far better experience for our customers as we're the unparalleled experts at deploying our software, we use the highest quality infrastructure to do so, we're uniquely able to deploy it with PCI (Credit Card) security standards in mind and finally they get much better support and much less finger pointing by dealing with a single vendor (we've all had the experience of multiple vendors not taking responsibilty for service).

So with all of this, in 2009 we made a public announcement at our annual users conference (and then directly to partners via email and phone) that we're going to start competing with them (for all of the reasons I outlined) and that instead of being competitors we'd prefer to be partners.

We've offered without exception to purchase these customers from our partners at market rate for hosting companies and have given them almost 5 years to make a decision.

We warned them back in 2010 that at some point we'd start soliciting our clients directly as without exception we provide a much higher quality service for our product than any of our partners.

So to suggest that we're going to someday screw our customers because of this borders on liabolous.