Complaint Review: MKM Acquisitions LLC

MKM Acquisitions LLC
575 Underhill Blvd. Suite 224 Syosset, New York USA

MKM Acquisitions LLC Coming after me for account from 1995 Syosset New York

*Consumer Comment: file a complaint with CFPB

I received a letter from MKM today (8/23/2014) for a debt from 1995 (last payment 1/1995).  According to the notice, MKM purchased the debt in April 2000.  This is the first I have heard of the account.  Statute of limitations in my current state (DE) and where I lived when the account was allegedly opened (MD) is 3 years.

I have not contacted them at this time as they are closed on Saturdays.  I hope they don't try to use the excuse that  it took this long (almost 20 years from opening, 14 years from the date of purchase) to find me.  The previous address that is listed on the letter is (was) my grandmother's address for over 25 years (until her death this year).  Any mail that was addressed or sent there would have been kept and given to me the next time I visited.

What options are there if they try to tell me that the debt is valid AND that I have to pay?  I mean- who is going to have receipts from 1995?  Anyone  else have any issues with this company?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/23/2014 11:09 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/MKM-Acquisitions-LLC/Syosset-New-York-11791-3416/MKM-Acquisitions-LLC-Coming-after-me-for-account-from-1995-Syosset-New-York-1171811. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on MKM Acquisitions LLC

file a complaint with CFPB

AUTHOR: tom - ()

I am not an attorney.  The advice I give comes from my experience.

I would suggest that you file a complaint with the

Federal Trade Commission, Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and your State Attorney.  Provide them a copy of the letter.  Usually you can do this online and upload a copy of the letter. You can also contact a NACA Attorney.  They sometimes take cases on a contingency basis.

Do not fall for these clown tactics.  Collecting on a debt from 1995 violates the FDCPA.  When you file your complaint.  Be sure to mention.  That you want the debt not sold again.  Keep the letter just in case forever.

Good luck to you.