Complaint Review: my computer career

• Updated: Tue, September 10, 2013

• Reported By: nerd alert — Columbus Ohio
my computer career
2400 corporate exchange drive columbus, Ohio USA

my computer career Falsifying Information in order to sign you into a contract with no intention of fulfilling obligation columbus Ohio

I am currently attending mycomputercareer in Columbus, Ohio. As in other stories I've read, I was brought in and told classes start in a few days and didn't have much time to think it over. Also in my case I was told that there would be a significant $5,000 price increase in tuition after this enrollment. The labs we are told to do are not user friendly. They have a completion rating and some labs just don't ever reach 100%. The teachers read straight from a power point for ten minutes to an hour and a half and then we're told to do our labs for the day.

When my virtual machine unregistered its key somehow, I asked two seperate instructors what I should do in order to fix it. One told me "I dunno", the other said, "I don't know what to tell you, I don't know what you did." I have called the front desk multiple times when not at the facility and not once have I recieved an answer, nor gotten a return phone call from the voicemails I've left. Many people feel abandoned in about every faccet here.

The amount of learning here is very little. Memorizing questions from our testing software is where you get most of your knowledge. If the labs would work they would be somewhat helpful too. You can purchase a key for a virtual machine online, all the testing engines and resources, and get access to everything they offer minus the instructors that offer literally zero help for under $600 for a years lease on all programs and virtualization tools. There is absolutely no hands on learning. The first day we disassembled and reassembled a desktop PC and that was the only thing I've ever touched aside from my laptop. Which is about a $700 ASUS A8 supplied by the "school".

I went to a "job fair" last week. The lady glanced at my resume and then went into her well recited speech about how in the IT field you need to have experience in a call center. Although I wasn't looking for a position like that and it wasn't exactly related to the field, employers really want you to have call center experience. The commercials Darron the guy who I first talked to when I came in to have my initial meeting said with just a few certifications, I can expect to make between 60 and 100K a year and even more if I really got into it. Also advertising that it would be good for my growing family as it would be a Monday through Friday 9-5 type position. The recruiter who I was set up with through My Computer Careers job fair offered $12 an hour for a job that was Thursday through Monday from 10 A.M.- 7 P.M. The job was taking complaint calls for Big Lots in a call center which has not one bit of IT involved and could have gotten that particular position walking in off the street.

When asked about how to get a better paying job the job placement people say you need experience. You have to work at one of these call centers, or as they so elegantly call them, "introductory level positions". A woman was getting upset last week asking why there is no hands on and why they're setting us up with recruiters for customer service jobs in call centers and they got pissy with her and refused to answer the questions she was asking. Then asked if anyone had any other concerns related to resumes or job fairs. No one said anything and they quickly grabbed their computers and left.

Literally not one thing here has any validity in calling it an education. They get government funding through FAFSA and do not provide said education, and definitely do not offer the results as far as job placement and implementing a career path. The education, the career, and your destiny is all in your hands. Just as it was before you signed up to pay them $20,000 to help you better your life. Not once have I been excited to have been here. Everything I do here I could do more productively at home. I can read a power point on my own, I don't need someone to stand up in front of me and read it for hours taking a fifteen minute break every 45 minutes. Not one thing about this experience has bettered my position. Althouh I'm keeping up with the requirements and have earned a few certifications, I'm still working in a restaraunt at the job I had when I started, making a better wage than what they are offering at the "hiring events".

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/10/2013 09:38 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/my-computer-career/columbus-Ohio-43231/my-computer-career-Falsifying-Information-in-order-to-sign-you-into-a-contract-with-no-in-1083255. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on my computer career