SBA

• Submitted: Mon, June 03, 2002
  • Updated: Fri, April 01, 2005

• Reported By:Griswold Connecticut
National Magazine Exchange
PO Box 9086 Clearwater, Florida U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-235-2796
  • Web:
  • Category: Media

National Magazine Exchange ripoff deceptive company Clearwater Florida

*UPDATE Employee: A lot to learn! All of these people who are writing this website are wrong? That doesn't pass the giggle test!

*UPDATE Employee: as a new employee ..I'm sure that some complaints are justified.

*UPDATE Employee: this place is a rip off

*UPDATE Employee: they rip off their own employes as well as the public

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Greg but you don't really have the facts.

*UPDATE Employee: Yeah it's telemarketing and it's misleading

*Consumer Comment: There is no need for name calling

*Consumer Suggestion: For Greg-Largo,fla idea of consumers

*UPDATE Employee: The Truth ..Todd, great salesman that you were, you weren't following the script, thats why you were terminated

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: ANOTHER #

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Special Data Processing and MMC corp are the same company. I worked for MMC corpas a sales rep.

*Consumer Comment: NME Great for Me

*Consumer Suggestion: Here's the correct information on Nation Magazine Exchange

*Consumer Comment: This is not the correct 800 phone number

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: national magazine exchange/special data processing: a shady company

They keep annoying us with "Free Subscriptions" to magazines, stating they are a Thank You for participating in some survey. Never have we participated in an surveys! Basically, they send you a couple free magazines then start billing you! I continuosly call and cancel the subscriptions and DEMAND they remove our address from the mailing list.

Unfortunately, the only people you can contact is their Subscription Fulfillment Center. Mr Helpful John stated he would put a request in to have me removed from "That List". I said NO - ALL LISTS! He said he would request it. I demanded a number to National Magazine Exchange since he claims he company is the distributor and he stated that there wasn't a direct number.

Stay away from this company - it's obvious if they are sending you something "free" there is something they want in return - surprise surprise - it's your money.
Thankfully, I have been able to cancel all this trash but a "free" subscription keeps finding it's way to my mailbox. I want this company to take our address off their lists but so far I have been unsucessful.

Michele & Aaron
Griswold, Connecticut

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/03/2002 08:11 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/National-Magazine-Exchange/Clearwater-Florida-33758-0086/National-Magazine-Exchange-ripoff-deceptive-company-Clearwater-Florida-22010. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on National Magazine Exchange

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

Hey Floyd, for being an old man, you still have a lot to learn! "Thank you Mr. Hood?" What are you his valet? Give me a break! All of these people who are writing this website are wrong? That doesn't pass the giggle test! Good luck, I hope you CAN sleep well at night, dreaming of your next victim! Where is Ralph Nader?

as a new employee ..I'm sure that some complaints are justified.

AUTHOR: Floyd - (U.S.A.)

As a new employee of SDP / NME I wanted to check out more info concerning the company. I came across this site by doing a web search.

It really amazed me, that so many people could have so many different opinions about the same thing. Of course, perception is reality.

The strangest thing I noticed, was that people complained about receiving a sales pitch when they only called to register for a sweepstakes. Now, really! When was the last time someone offered you something for free?

The other strange thing was that people complained that they were harrassed and badgered by an SSA who wouldn't take no for an answer. OK. You called us. It's your dime. How hard is it to just hang up the phone?

Other posts were from ex-employees. The key here is X. I've been a member of the work force since 1967 and I've yet to find many ex-employees who had anything good to say about a company from which they were terminated, whether or not it was their choice. SDP is no different from any other company. Follow the rules or leave. If you don't like what you are doing, find something else. Sure, they have a high turnover. Not everyone is meant to work in sales. My wife works for a major phone company. They have a high turnover rate. I worked in the food service industry for 25 years. They have a high turnover rate. You just need to find a career with the right comfort level for you.

I'm sure that some complaints are justified. We receive 40,000 calls a day. When dealing with that many people, there are bound to be mistakes.
And within a company of this size, there are bound to be a couple bad apples; they usually don't stick around long.

As a new employee, I did my reserch. I'm comfortable with the sales aspect. I don't feel that anything that I tell a customer is untrue or unethical. I'm not pushy, but if a customer stays on the line, I'll continue to do my job in the way I was trained to do so. I'll earn my wages and commissions and I'll sleep well at night.

Thank you, Mr. Hood.

this place is a rip off

AUTHOR: Cheryl - (U.S.A.)

the biggest problem i have with this company is the fact that they dont even tell the employees the truth here i am telling my customers i am a mother of 3 and would never rip anyone off because i belive what comes around gose around and i find this website talking about how bad they are and i belive the reason they dont tell you the truth is becuase if you think everything is great you will act that way and this makes you a better sales person becuase if you belive in what you sell your better at itand i do think it is agreat deal but if people arent getting what they pay for the hell with sdp/nme they suck i dont want to work for a company that uses such antacts and the worse thing is they act like they are so great code of ethics no cursing police etc.......... and its all a bunch of BULLSHIT if you ask me and i wont be wasting my time anymore and by the way i came across this website and many others like it when doing reasearch for a customer who wanted to know if they could place there order online the only reason i even work here is becuase they have a home agent program work from the comfort of your own home who wouldnt love that i also want to say that i am disscussed by the people that work there and know the truth how can you live with yourselfs even if it dose pay the bill.. what comes around gose around all dogs get it in the end and i dont want that weight on my shoulders

AUTHOR: Jim - (U.S.A.)

this is the way the companey looks at the public.yes they train us or brainwash us for two weeks, one week class room to learn the script then one training week on the phones. we are trained not to take no for an answer,they want us to push a customer to hang up.if we do that we are doing our job to the fullest. i sold magazines for the first 3 months i was there and could not find it in my self to push people once they said no. i did transfer to another dept. that dept was much better but again you must get that sale. most people get paid less than 8.50 per hour if you make your scheduled adhereance which is approx. 85% of your schuled time. if you don't make that you lose 50 cents off your pay per hour. so you can see they rip off their own employes as well as the public.yes there magazine offers can be good if you read them. as far as the million dollar pay off we have seen payoff but still question if these are real people or put ons by SDP-NME, your guess is as mine.in my opinion yes this company is a big rip-off.

#8 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Greg but you don't really have the facts.

AUTHOR: Todd - (U.S.A.)

Greg...when I worked for MMC corporation I was the only person to deal with the customer. There was no Verification officer. I was the first and last person to deal with the customer and their payment method (Credit card digits). And yes it is true that I was fired because I did not follow the Misleading script, that lied about the prices of the packages(they were not magazine subscriptions) It was Travellers Advantage, and Shoppers advantage. The truth is that most of the people that called in are not aware of the fact that they signed up to receive the information and the solicitation, but when the employees are told NOT to accept NO as an answer thats when its Harassment. I simply changed some of the wording to answer the most frequent questions that the consummers had, and in turn Sales increased! And thats why I was fired...because the truth was not supposed to be known to the consummer.

Yeah it's telemarketing and it's misleading

AUTHOR: Sean - (U.S.A.)

I am a recent employee of SDP. I knew what I was getting into when I accepted the job. It's everything everyone has said in the other rebuttles. I know that most telesales companies are not honest and mislead, misrepresent and sometimes scam consumers. If Greg did'nt want to lose his job he should of kept his mouth shut, but I can't see why anyone would care too much about losing their job at a place like SDP. I'm there while I'm looking for better employment. I know what they do and I guess I'm part of the problem but I really don't care. Should people buy from NME, yeah if they want to. Thats their own initative, if they feel scammed afterwards they should have thrown the mailer away and never called the number. I think most consumers are lazy and don't want to take the time to find out the truth of what they are getting into and want to blame someone else other than themselves when they realize they made a stupid decision.
Hopefully some of them will read this and make a better decision next time. Yeah NME/SDP is what it is. But I'm not going to try and stop them. The best way to stop them is to ignore them, plain and simple.

AUTHOR: Greg - (U.S.A.)

OK, seems some folks here think I am a bad person for defending a company that sells magazines over the telephone.

Here's a tip, not interested? Hang up the telephone. Wasn't that easy? Remember, you called us, we didn't call you. But you want in on the sweepstakes, don't you?

News Flash, most Telemarketers outfits operate in similiar fashion. An enticing offer to sell you something, Satellite TV, Low Interest Mortgage, Debt Consolidation to name a few. But they call you, in this case, YOU CALL US. See the difference?

National Magazine Exchange offers a Million Dollar sweepstakes, like Publishers Clearing House (except PCH throws away all the entries who didn't order magazines) and then offers a discounted magazine package. Current rate is $.99 a week for up to 5 magazines. That's a ripoff? ridiculous, do the math, see the savings.
That's .99 x 52 weeks = $51.48 = $10.29 per mag per year. Go read the subscription postcards in the magazines at the supermarket checkout.

My attitude about Americans hasn't changed, I've been chatting with a couple hundred everyday for the last four months. This is a country full of stupid, mean people, you haven't spoken to them, I have, ok?

Ever wondered why magazines are located at the supermarket checkout lines? Because magazines are an impulse buy item, we know it, so do the supermarkets and so does the lady consumer college grad who can't explain why she accepted the offer.

Welcome to the reality.

There is no need for name calling

AUTHOR: Sarah - (U.S.A.)

I came upon this website by googling the national magazine exchange. I am currently a subscriber and was looking for the website for more information. First, I've noticed that Greg has been responding to many posts. I am surprised that he keeps calling customers stupid and keeps reiterating that he is a "honor student" in computer science. Good for him, but I don't quite see what that has to do with anything. In fact, I don't quite see what intelligence has to do with any of these. Being a very intellegent person does not necessarily make you a savy consumer. Nor does being intellegent make you a good customer service representitive. The name calling on this site is appalling.

However, I wanted to add that I have been happy with this company, but I can see how individuals may be tricked or bullied into purchasing magazines they do not want. I ended up calling the company when I moved. Apparently they are in partnership with the U.S. Postal Service (can anyone verufy this?) There was a number on the US Postal Service website that I was asked to call to change my address on a subscription to Time. They changed my address and then offerred me the magazine deal. I thought it was kind of odd, but at the same time it seemed like a good deal. The customer service rep explained everything to me, I knew exactly what I was getting. However, the pitch came so fast and I wasn't expecting it (I was just expecting to change my address) and I didn't have a lot of time to think about whether or not I REALLY wanted these magazines. I still wonder if I REALLY want them, so I may try to cancel soon. In which case, we may see if my opinion of the company changes.

In sum, I can see why people may be upset with this company because they get you with an element of surprise, you think you are calling for one thing (like changing your address or entering a sweepstakes) and you get hit with an unexpected pitch, that sounds like (and probably is, if you enjoy reading magazines) a good deal. I am sure that there are some reps who are less strait forward, but honestly you find that in every company. I worked in retail through college and we had to try to get customers to enroll in the store's credit card. I observed one of my coworkers use aweful tactics to get people to sign up. Sometimes it seemed just like she was tricking people into getting the cards. But is she or her practices a representation of the company? I don't think so. It just shows that she is a bad person herself.

#15 Consumer Suggestion

For Greg-Largo,fla idea of consumers

AUTHOR: Dan - (U.S.A.)

Just called the company again to see how things have changed or not changed. Greg- Largo,Fl seems to believe we are "stupid people", a sales mentality that still permeates this sham company. Indeed, consumers are screened by a sales rep, who WOULD NOT take "NO" for an answer, and put me through to her supervisor who then repeated back the mis-information I had agreed to purchase something. Only when I stated for the 4th time I was NOT making a purchase did this "supervisor" drop the phone connection with a thank you and "I don't know why the sales rep put you through to me". Seems even if one of us "stupid people" says No Thanks- they have a hard time accepting the final answer. I'd like to thank Greg-Largo, Fl for his insight into how he and many other telemarketers really think of customers- as "stupid people". Good work Greg!

AUTHOR: Greg - (U.S.A.)

I went thru 30 hours of training before I answered even one live call. During that time a strict code of ethics was taught and a copy given to each trainee. We are also given a script to read, so we don't make things up and misrepresent the sweepstakes or product offers.

Todd, great salesman that you were, you weren't following the script, thats why you were terminated. Sounds like you were a Subscription Sales Associate. Thats means you forwarded the prospective buyer to a supervisor who Verified the magazine selections, billing policies and procedures with the caller. The Verifier is the person who completely explains the magazine package and details, not the SSA.

Now anyone who calls and goes thru two people who both verified the caller wants magazines and has a credit card or wants to pay by check, cannot claim they were ripedoff. How did N.M.E. get your credit card number if you didnt read it to us over the phone?

This goes to show America is full of stupid people.

They also need to ask themselves why they called in to enter a sweepstakes. While a purchase or payment is not required, we will still offer to sell you some discounted products. The caller is always welcome to say no thanks and hangup the phone.

#17 UPDATE EX-employee responds

ANOTHER #

AUTHOR: RONNIE - (U.S.A.)

ANOTHER PHONE NUMBER THAT MAY BE HELPFUL 7275243600

#18 UPDATE EX-employee responds

AUTHOR: Todd - (U.S.A.)

I was actually in the top 5 in the company before I was Laid off because I tried to change the sales presentation so that it was more honest. The Presetation actually misrepresented the package we were selling. When I changed the presentation my sales increased actually 10 fold, and consummers were appreciative of the explanation. So rather that pay me the commissions that I earned through being the top salesman...I GOT FIRED....Stay away from this Company!!! You never get something for nothing. ASK LOTS OF QUESTIONS ALWAYS!

NME Great for Me

AUTHOR: Tracy - (U.S.A.)

I just looked up the National Magazine Exchange on the Internet after speaking with them and changing my service slightly. The first thing I saw was this rip off report site, and obviously I was curious. I read the reports.

I have been using the NME for a year now. I have had nothing but satisfaction. I was very skeptical at first making 3 payments of $68 totaling more than $200.

But, if you figure the # of magazines for the length of time that you receive them (most 4 years), then that is WAY below any sales that the individual magazines offer. When I just called to change a mag, they added two more for free! WOW! Customer service was fast, easy, and very courteous.

#20 Consumer Suggestion

Here's the correct information on Nation Magazine Exchange

AUTHOR: April - ()

I looked up the BBB's info on this company for another report recently. I too have gotten so many of these bogus phone calls and papers saying I won some sweepstakes. My 6 year old sons and my 19 month old even get this crap. Amazing, huh?

Anyway, so that you have the correct information it is as follows:

Their main phone number is 800-310-6247, they also use the numbers: 800-235-3630, 888-326-2738, 800-316-6247, and 727-815-8196.

They have two addresses: 1) 16120 US HWY 19 N Ste 400 Clearwater, FL 33764 and PO Box 9084 Clearwater, FL 33758-9084

For future references they also use the following names: Clearinghouse Magazine, Million Dollar Sweepstakes, Nation List Exchange, INC., National Publishers Exchange, INC., National Telemarketing Exchange, INC., NME, Special Data Processing, INC., and Stike it Rich 2 Sweepstakes.

Funny, though, the BBB states that all their complains have been addressed and satisfied. We all know taht isn't true. Trust me, the first time this happened to me was about 10 years ago, I feel for it and was told that I'd won several FREE subscriptions, a month later, no magazines, but I recieved a bill for $793. And people get scared and pay when they start getting harassed by their collecters. Amagune how much they've scammed from people. They've been in business since 1985, under numerous names. I just throw this crap away amymore. It just goes to show, once again, that you can't trust the BBB for crap anymore.

#24 UPDATE EX-employee responds

national magazine exchange/special data processing: a shady company

AUTHOR: sean - ()

I worked for this company briefly as a customer retention representative (crr) and was terminated for complaining when I tried to pick up my paycheck on my day off. Apparently, SDP expects new employees to stand in line for an hour every Friday to receive their pay. Of course, they fail to mention this upon hiring! Furthermore, due to being terminated within six weeks of hire, my final paycheck was shorted $200 as I was only paid $5.15/hr instead of the $12.50/hr I deserved.

As a crr I was expected to talk customers out of cancelling their magazine subscriptions. Many customers with whom I spoke were complaining about the billing practices (usually a 3 month spread pay for the entire length of service in years). I suspect (but can't confirm) that sales reps were not forthcoming or specific about how much and/or when customers would be billed.

SDP is a HUGE call center with many departments that don't communicate with each other; so, as a crr I had no way of verifying the integrity of a sale nor did SDP seem to care. Quickly, it became obvious to me that in order to make my quotas and to keep my job, I would have to lie to customers or talk them in circles until they frustratingly hung up the phone.

Another one of my duties as a crr was outbound collection calls. The phone numbers of people who owed SDP money were put into a database on an automatic dialer. The problem here is the system doesn't differentiate between a delinquent payment that's a day overdue or one that's months overdue! Most credit card companies don't even call you the DAY after a payment is due!

SDP does NOT value your privacy. If a customer asks to be "no called/no mailed", reps are supposed to fill out a form and post it by their stations. (Most veteran reps won't even fill it out.) The floor supervisors are supposed to pick them up at the end of the shift. Mine usually sat there for days!

SDP is in the business of strongarming the public, especially the elderly, over chump change! It also is sees a high rate of employee turnover, because they're a lousy employer!