Complaint Review: national union fire insurance company

• Submitted: Thu, February 02, 2012
  • Updated: Thu, June 28, 2012

• Reported By: noname — reseda California United States of America
national union fire insurance company
175 Water Street 18Th Floor New York City, New York United States of America

national union fire insurance company NUF INS New York City, New York

*Author of original report: US Bank satifies complaint

NUF is an insurance sign-up scam that involves your bank.  They claim that they have a "phone authorization" to begin a life insurance policy and make automatic deductions from your bank account every month.  These payments can be anywhere from $5.99 to $33.99.  Sometimes even more.  It doesn't matter if you told these people "no" or never received the phone call at all.  Suddenly your "one free year of coverage" is over and these deductions start showing up on your bank statement.  The ambiguous item on your statement is listed as:  Nuf Ad Insr 888 and the amount of the withdrawal.  It is easy to miss when reviewing your statement.  NUF never sends any information about their insurance.  You never receive a policy explaining the type or amount of coverage you are paying for.

If you didn't order this insurance, how did they get your information to authorize the automatic payments?  From your bank.  If you bank at US Bank, they will sign you up and pass on your information authorizing the deductions for you.  US Bank's parent company is the insurance giant AIG.  I understand that Wells Fargo has facilitated this scam also, as well as some credit card companies, other banks, telemarketers selling life, auto, home, business, or any other type of insurance

If you call your bank about the charges, they say it is not their problem.  You have to call the insurance company.  Oddly enough, the bank has the phone number to NUF.  There are several phone numbers and none of them get you much of a response.  Sometimes they are disconnected, or on an endless loop of automated menus.  If you do finally get a live person they transfer you around from person to person then put you on hold for another department and wait until the system hangs up on you with a dial tone.

Call the Better Business Bureau, Department of Insurance (in your state), the Banking Commission, the fraud department of your bank and threaten to sue if they refuse to give you back your money.  You have only 60 days to report this fraud but if you act quickly you may be able to get a full refund.  Demand that you get satisfaction from your bank.

Remember: Always check your bank statements carefully.  If there is ever any charge or withdrawal on it that you can not account for, call your bank and ask to whom the payment was made.  It doesn't matter how small or large the amount is--you have a right to know and the bank must give you the information.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/02/2012 01:12 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/national-union-fire-insurance-company/New-York-City-New-York-10038/national-union-fire-insurance-company-NUF-INS-New-York-City-New-York-832642. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on national union fire insurance company

US Bank satifies complaint

AUTHOR: noname - (United States of America)

After filing the report about US Bank and their rip-off scam with National Union Fire Insurance Company (NUF) and continuous phone calls to the bank and NUF, they settled the case.  It wasn't easy and took a lot of non-stop effort, but they finally capitulated.

To recap:  US Bank claimed they had "expressed authorization" to make withdrawals from my bank account for NUF Insurance.  This was the result of a phone call they made trying to get me to sign up for the insurance.  After seeing withdrawals on my bank statement for $29.99 for something notated as "NUF Ad Ins 888" I called the bank.  I was never asked for any account information and wondered how this company got the information to make these withdrawals.

I started calling the bank and they told me I had to call the insurance company.  I did that, too.  In the end, I called every day for over two weeks, made four trips to the bank in person, called the bank's fraud division, called the Better Business Bureau, wrote a couple of letters, filled out two forms and faxed them to the bank and NUF, and got receipts for everything I did in connection to this, took notes and found out who I was talking to every time I made a call.  I was rudely spoken to when I went into the bank for a face-to-face, transferred to 5 to 8 diffferent people/departments during almost every phone call, always talked to people who didn't either know the answers to the questions I was asking or wouldn't answer them, was told it was my fault on several occasions, and hung up on five times.

But I stuck with it.  I asked to hear this recording they had where I gave my "expressed authorization".  They finally produced it after two weeks and not at any time during that conversation where NUF was trying to get me to sign up for their insurance did they ask specifically, "Do you want to buy this insurance?" nor did I ever say, "Yes, I want you to sign me up for it."  In fact, every time they remotely hinted about my desires, I kept saying, "No, I'm not really interested." or "I don't think so."  After listening to that recording, US Bank and NUF decided they could not "conclusively say that I agreed to buying the insurance" so they refunded my money.

Not only did NUF return my money, but US Bank refunded the overdraft fees for non-sufficient funds that resulted from their withdrawals that I didn't know was happening.  I want to let everyone who has had problems with this type of scam run by their bank to not give up.  They just want the problem to go away--meaning you.  If returning your money will get you off their backs, they will finally give in but YOU have to be PERSISTENT!

I want to thank US Bank for seeing things my way and doing the right thing, but it was nice to be recognized by name every time I called or went into the bank.