Complaint Review: Nationwide Collections

• Submitted: Mon, November 05, 2007
  • Updated: Mon, November 05, 2007

• Reported By:Wichita Falls Texas
Nationwide Collections
805 Virginia Ave, Suite 1 Fort Pierce, Florida U.S.A.

Nationwide Collections Threatened litigation if I didnt respond to this phony debt within 30 days Fort Pierce Florida

Ive recently received two elaborate collection notices from this company stating that they are attempting to collect a debt for Columbia House in the amount of $15.40. My account with Columbia House was successfully closed nearly 10 years ago and I dont owe them anything.

The very threatening letter suggested that:

We are a debt collection agency. We now own above the debt originally owed by you to Columbia House. Unless we receive payment, we are ready to consider the issue of legal proceedings in the county court. Any court judgment could make it difficult for you to obtain future credit. You might have to pay additional court cost. Such a judgment could also go on your credit report, affecting your ability to get credit, buy a home or a car. The default has not yet been reported to the Credit Reference Bureaus.

My take on this scam is that due to the threatening nature of the letter and the relatively small amount owed, theyve assumed that I would pay to make it go away. I attempted to call this company and was connected to voice mail asking me to leave my name, etc.

Im also writing to the Texas Attorney Generals Office to report this fraudulent harassment.

Wichita Falls, Texas

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/05/2007 09:12 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Nationwide-Collections/Fort-Pierce-Florida-34982-5881/Nationwide-Collections-Threatened-litigation-if-I-didnt-respond-to-this-phony-debt-within-283162. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Nationwide Collections