Complaint Review: Navy Federal Credit Union

• Submitted: Sun, January 14, 2007
  • Updated: Thu, July 02, 2009

• Reported By:California Maryland
Navy Federal Credit Union
820 Follin Lane Brunswick, Maine U.S.A.
  • Phone: 800-336-3333
  • Web:
  • Category: Banks

Navy Federal Credit Union Ruined Credit Report Because They Made Error! Ripoff Brunswick Maine

*Consumer Comment: YOUR MESSAGE GIVES ME STRENGTH TO FIGHT BACK!

*Consumer Suggestion: NFCU no angels either

*Consumer Comment: Credit Report

This contact letter is in regards to my consumer loan accounts **********-01 and **********-02. I just recently checked my credit report because I am in the market to purchase my first home in Lexington Park, Maryland, and I noticed some disturbing information.

It seems that ythe company reported my on numerous occations for being 30 days late on each loan account. This information is false, and the company is in direct violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

The reason these accounts were reported as late, according to the customer service, is this at the time that I requested a one month grace period because my mother died in September of 2004, and I had to pay for the funeral service. My father passed on a few months later in February of 2005.

I notified all my creditors and told them of the situation and was given a payment plan. The extention from the company was granted from the Branch Manager in Brunswick, Maine. All the payments that I made after that were paying the previous month, while I thought I was paying the current bill.

The fact that I did not receive any notice of delinquency either by mail, email, or telephone highly disturbes me. On most occasions I paid in person at the Branch Office, so why couldn't the say anything when I was physically there?

When my mother's estate settled, I paid off as much as I could on each loan, and later paid off the motorcycle loan more than a year early. The auto loan that is outstanding is currently paid beyond it's requirement and will be paid off when my father's estate settles.

The fact that these reported late payments are an error on the company, and not myself, I request that all reported late payments be removed and letters affirming this sent to each credit reporting bureau.

These are the only negative entries on any of my reports, and I demand that they be made right. With these negative entries, I will not qualify for the mortgage that I deserve, and I will not be using Navy Federal to obtain that mortgage. I was under the impression that navy Federal was there to help Servicemen and women, not give them unjustified negative entries.

Just for your information I went from a 735 score to 580. The report is from when I was stationed in Maine, I am now stationed in Maryland.

Robert
California, Maryland

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/14/2007 10:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Navy-Federal-Credit-Union/Brunswick-Maine-04011/Navy-Federal-Credit-Union-Ruined-Credit-Report-Because-They-Made-Error-Ripoff-Brunswick-M-230489. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Navy Federal Credit Union

YOUR MESSAGE GIVES ME STRENGTH TO FIGHT BACK!

AUTHOR: Ms. Pam - (U.S.A.)

I agree with you 100% Wally. Thank you for your story as I am having a very difficult time with NFCU's practices and procedures as well and am seeking a class action suit against them. Having read your report and others from this website and others I know now that I am not alone. It is extemely diffuclt to keep your check book balanced and ATM purchases documented as NFCU continually change the dates and balances, holds outside deposits so that if know that you should have a deposit on a certain day and you write a check for that day or the day after and a merchant tries to cash that check this check is bounced and only then do they deposit your check and attach a over draft fee to it. I have numerous nightmare stories regarding NFCU that have only come to light in the past two months. I have closed my account but will darn well pursue the matter until they repay me every single piece of copper off of every penny they have bilked me for. I suggest everyone do the same. Its ashamed that NFCU gives the false impression that they are here to help military personnel as well as civilians when they are only out to use as many Bush-type-tactics to pillage both communities. NFCU was not always like this (I was a member for over 20 years) but since the steady downturn in the economy over the past eight years they seem to have taken on these improper and immoral attitudes towards their customers. Again, I thank you for your story and others like yours which gives me other areas to check to see where they robbed me including probable collusion with the credit reporting agencies and credit card agencies!

#2 Consumer Suggestion

NFCU no angels either

AUTHOR: Dixiedooh - (U.S.A.)

NFCU als has the habit of violating the Fair Debt Collections ACT, Truth in Lending Act, and encourages their collection agents to strong arm their account holders. The only guidelines they have is "don't get caught" violating the consumers rights, colluding with the personal banking division (strictly prohibited and criminal in nature), and wait until the last minute to work 'with' the customer if you think you got caught.

My complaint with the OCC of Corruption, Fraudulent Activity, Collusion, violations of the Fair Debt Collections Act, and violating the Truth in lending Act was upheld. SO don't even suggest that NFCU employs angels or that their tactics aren't somewhat brutal in some cases. (They actually tried to blackmail my wife and collude against her. She had her own separate account, had nothing to do with a debt I had and was late on after a heart attack, and they tried to harm her financially in an attempt to force me to make an immediate payment.).

Sometime people have other crisis' going on, and it's up to NFCU to realize that every share holder (member owned remember?!) has to be awarded the same rights and considerations. Anything less is an outright civil rights violation, if not totally against the priciples of good faith.

Question....If I owe NFCU money, am late on a payment...can they come burn my house down? Hey ..I owe them money right....so why not burn a "deadbeats" house down. The ends doesn't always justify the means!

PS: this is a venue for complaints...not a place for people to be beat into submission.

NFCU deserves the complaints it has filed against them.

Credit Report

AUTHOR: Wally - (U.S.A.)

Robert,

It seems from reading your post that you think NFCU reported bad information to the credit reporting agency. You stated that this was done on numerous occations for being more than 30 days late on each loan account. That statement would be an admission of guilt on your part. How could this information be false, and that Navy Federal be in direct violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act? If you were late on several occasions then it is fair that they report you to the credit reporting agency for being delinquent on your accts.

You state that the reason these accounts were reported as late, according to the customer service person, is at the time that you requested a one month grace period............Then you changed the subject and never finished what you were going to say.

You also stated that you notified all your creditors and told them of you situation and they put you on a payment schedule to get the accts cought up. You also mentioned that the extention from Navy Federal was granted by the Branch Manager in Brunswick, Maine. Per my knowledge with regards to Navy Federal and their processes, no manager in any branch can grant such a request. Such request have to be granted thru the collections department. That would be why all the payments that you made afterwards were simply paying the previous month that was past due, eventhough you thought you were paying the current months bill.

Navy Federal will not attempt to make contact with you unless your accts are at least 15-30 days past due. That would be why you didn't receive any notice of delinquency either by mail, email, or telephone. You state that on most occasions you paid in person at the Branch Office. You also asked, so why couldn't they say anything when I was physically there? That would be because all they are doing in taking a payment and as long as you are giving money to pay a loan and not going past the 15-30 time frame they will not normally say anything unless you inquire on the acct specifically.

Why do you feel that these reported late payments are an error on Navy Federal, and not you? If you want any action with regards to your credit report you may want to contact the credit reporting agency and file a formal dispute and try to get this issue resolved, instead of allowing it to further damage your credit. Keep in mind that the Credit Union or any financial institution isn't a reporting agency and will direct you back to the credit reporting agency for action on corrections.

You then went on to state that you were under the impression that Navy Federal was there to help servicemen and women, not give them unjustified negative entries. You are correct that NFCU is there to help all persons in the service, but you also have to keep in mind that you have to take on responsibility for your actions. NFCU will not mother you like the military sometime will do. You have to be held accountable for your own financial decisions/actions that you make, just as the military will hold you accountable for any bad actions you take part in while serving in the armed forces.

I hope that this information will assist you.