Complaint Review: Neptune Society

5400 Ward Road Arvada, Colorado United States of America

Neptune Society Purchasers Beware of this practice Arvada, Colorado

*Consumer Suggestion: Urn Returned for Refund

*Author of original report: Update to Channel 7 airing of Neptune Society

*Author of original report: To previous author

*Consumer Comment: Returning Urn?

*Consumer Comment: Neptune legal and ethical

*Author of original report: Update to this report

For all of those that may consider purchasing a pre-need cremation plan, be very aware of Neptune Society.  You need to research this company along with reviewing their business practices.  It is not sufficient only to obtain posting on the internet, you need to refer to DORAs website and search and locate the stipulated agreement of agency order entered into by Neptune and DORA.  Please read this article carefully, for those that may consider purchasing a plan, always insist on having the merchandise at time of need.

This company is still skirting around the law by not offering or allowing the consumer the option of obtaining the urn and merchandise at time of need.  This option would require Neptune to place the amount paid on retail merchandise agreement into trust similar to the 75% required on pre-need funeral agreement.  Rather, they present the option of delivering the urn and merchandise within 15 days.  They only present this option as this option does not require placing the amount in trust.  This is evident resulting from requiring you to place your initials in the box acknowledging urn and merchandise will be delivered via courier.  In essence, a plan costing $1,716.95, (this amount excludes the transportation and relocation coverage) less than is placed in the trust fund.

Those that have already purchased a plan, refer back to your memory, while sitting with a sales representative with Neptune, there was never a mention of receiving the merchandise kit at time of need.  They spun it by saying, we want you to have the merchandise to prevent any kind of up selling.  Up selling has nothing to do with this omission, by accepting the urn and merchandise via courier this is Neptunes method of avoiding trust fund requirement.

I recently discovered this requirement while researching other issues on DORAs website with respect to Neptune.  I immediately brought up this issue to management and their in-house General Counsel (along with making them aware that I was never informed or trained to offer this) to determine the merit prior to continuing to sell the Neptune plan.  They responded by saying there was no merit in my inquiry, and subsequently I was served with a termination notice that day.

For those that have purchased a plan with me or any other reps.  Look and review the retail merchandise agreement to gain a further understanding of what I am addressing.  Then, visit DORA website to gain a copy of the stipulated agreement to corroborate this willful omission by Neptune.

Ask yourself, if the option was presented to you to secure your investment, would you have taken the option?  Of course you would of, price was still the same and your money would have been trusted and protected.  I have contacted Channel 7, the investigator to expose Neptune and this violation.  I will keep all of you posted on when I am to meet as a date has not been determined.

Please keep checking back to this site as I will announce the date to which it will air on channel 7.  Any rebuttal should be made directly to this article.  I will reach out to all that may have lingering questions.  I have contacted DORA to alert them of Neptunes practices, have confidence that they will perform their own investigation.  There may be other remedies available to past customers.  You can also file a complaint directly with DORA. Please keep checking back to this website as I will provide periodic updates.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/27/2011 10:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Neptune-Society/Arvada-Colorado-80004/Neptune-Society-Purchasers-Beware-of-this-practice-Arvada-Colorado-757416. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Neptune Society

#1 Consumer Suggestion

Urn Returned for Refund

AUTHOR: anonymous - ()

Beware of what Neptune representatives try to sell.

Prepaid my final expenses on a very tight budget.  I heard of Neptune Society.  The representative told me the best price was their Neptune Memento Package.  This includes a cherry finish box with the urn inside and had to be delivered to me within 15 days of payment on the contract.  From the beginning of our conversation I told him I did not want the box.

Since my ashes are to be be scattered at sea by Neptune, San Diego.  At my passing, who would deliver the urn to the crematorium if I didn't have family or passed away in another state.

His answer was if no one brought the urn to the crematorium then another one would be furnished in San Diego. That was never in writing.  It makes no sense to pay for something that may never be used. I sent e-mails and made phone calls to the representative for clarification.

Finally, I went in person.  The representative told me that selling the merchandise is how they make money.  He never showed me a price list or offered options to the Neptune Memento Package.  Turns out I could pay for the options I want.

When I returned the urn to Arvada office and requested a refund for the box the representative told me I had to cancell the whole contract to get a refund for the box

I insisted on keeping the services excluding the memorial box.  Only then did he show me a price list and I chose the Neptune Direct Cremation Package plus Transportation and Relocation Protection Plan, excluding the memorial box.  We cancelled my original contract and executed a new contract . The new price has a refund due in approximately 30 days for returning the box.

I hope that my experience will help others when pre-planning their cremation.  Insist on a price list and choose what services you want not what Neptune insists you buy.

Update to Channel 7 airing of Neptune Society

AUTHOR: Gdenver - (USA)

I am currently working with a television station in Colorado Springs to update the segment aired on Channel 7 in November 2011.  A follow up interview is to take place to reveal the Attorney General's investigation status on Neptune Society.

Additionally, an interest from NBC Dateline has been expressed.  I was contacted from a producer of the show expressing interest in shedding more light on Neptune Society.  I am following up with their producers and will post my updates on this site.

To previous author

AUTHOR: Gdenver - (USA)

You apparently mis read my article.  I agree with you with respect to allowing a company to keep its doors open.  This was not what my article was addressing.  It was merely pointing out the fact that future potential customer should be offered the options of accepting the urn at the time of enrollment or at time of need.  Currently Neptune is only limiting it to accepting the merchandise at time of enrollment only.

Certain stipulations from DORA exists when urn and merchandise is accepted at time of enrollment versus at time of need.  When Neptune is not allowing customers to accept urn and merchandise at time of need, it is limiting customer's options and enhancing their own position by not placing the amount paid for  urn and merchandise into trust.  Read the aricle again.

Returning Urn?

AUTHOR: lostdutchmangold - (USA)

There is never a requirement to return the urn you purchased. It is the customers urn, bought and paid for. Absolutly Ludicrous!

Neptune legal and ethical

AUTHOR: lostdutchmangold - (USA)

Since the money for the actual services go into a trust account and every state has a different percentage (usually 75% or more) Neptune Society has a right to offer a product that helps them keep their doors open. Can you tell me of any funeral home that doesn't sell caskets, flowers, memorial services to stay in business? Neptune does this on a much, much smaller scale than those companies. And how can a company offer a product and expect that product to be in circulation in 5, 10, 20 years? That is why it is required that any product purchased if it's in-stock with any company has to be shipped to the consumer who purchased it within a reasonable amount of time. Have you ever heard of Amazon.com holding a book for a customer for 10 years? You sound like a disgruntled ex-employee, oh I see you do say you worked for them...hmmm.

Update to this report

AUTHOR: Gdenver - (USA)

For points of clarification with respect to requesting the urn and merchandise at time of need rather than having it delivered via courier.  Neptune did not offer this option when I was selling for them.  I found another article that reveals the company's practice of "constructive delivery", this allows them to avoid placing the amount into a trust fund.  However, they dont tell you this, they only say that by having the merchandise delivered, it prevents any type of "up selling".

No "up selling" would take place regardless if you accepted the merchandise via mail or at time of need.  By accepting the urn and merchandise via courier, it only benefits Neptune.  The consumers is at risk resulting from less than 1/2 of the amount paid being placed in trust.  Under the current scenario, when death occurrs, they are going to provide an urn to place the ashes in and will require you to return the urn that was sent to you in the mail.

By requiring that Neptune provides you with the urn and merchandise at time of need, it would eliminate for you to return the urn.  The remaining merchandise is not required for the cremation process and a person can afford to wait to receive it at time of need.  Again, as I indicated, they did not offer this option while I was selling.  This may change soon as this deceptive practice will be exposed once I meet with Channel 7.