Complaint Review: NETFLIX

• Reported By: PoweredByKarma — Florida United States of America
NETFLIX
Fort Lauderdale, Florida United States of America

NETFLIX unannouced price increase scam Fort Lauderdale, Florida

*Consumer Comment: The price increase didn't even affect me and...

*Consumer Comment: Yep..

*Consumer Comment: Why?

*Consumer Comment: Neither

*Consumer Comment: To answer the most important question.

*Consumer Comment: Same thing happened to me

*Author of original report: YOU FAILED TO ANSWER THE MOST IMPORANT QUEASTION;

*Consumer Comment: My response. Now you can call me an employee too.

*Consumer Comment: My Bosses? LMAO!

*Consumer Comment: Ridiculous

*Author of original report: NETFLIX AVOIDED RESPONSIBLE MEASURE TO 60% RATE HIKE!!!

*Consumer Comment: When John Wayne said "You can't fix stupid"....

*Author of original report: NETFLIX DAMAGE CONTROL TEAM

*Consumer Comment: A National problem

*Author of original report: TO THE NETFLIX DAMAGE CONTROL SQUAD

*Consumer Comment: Very amusing.

*Consumer Comment: Netflix just sent me an "e-mail", which I read...go figure...

*Consumer Comment: Okay...

*General Comment: the real issue...

*Consumer Comment: Laughable report

*Consumer Comment: I understand prefectly fine

*Consumer Comment: A 6th Grade Comprehension Level?

*Consumer Comment: Reconcile monthly

*Consumer Comment: If you had bother with balancing your checkbook

*Consumer Comment: I don't believe you

*General Comment: suck it up you didn't pay attention

*Author of original report: NETFLIX CHOSE WORST POSSIBLE APPROACH TO RATE HIKE!

*Consumer Comment: You're absolutely ridiculous

*Author of original report: NETFLIX TACTICS RAISED PRICES ON CUSTOMERS WITHOUT CONSENT

*Consumer Comment: Personal Responsibility

*Consumer Comment: Personal Responsibility

*Author of original report: NETFLIX HAS DEBITED CUSTOMER BANK ACCOUNT FOR UNCONFIRMED AMOUNT!

*Consumer Comment: Notification

*Consumer Comment: It is pretty amazing that you think YOU are somehow special and they should probably send you a Registered letter..

*Consumer Comment: Rant all you want

*Author of original report: WHAT PERCENT GOT SCREWED?

*Author of original report: AUTOPAY SHOULD BE AUTOMATIC

*Consumer Comment: Not a Rip Off

*Author of original report: NOTICE WAS WEAK AT BEST

*Consumer Comment: Amazing

*Consumer Comment: They did inform their customers

It really saddens me to have to be here reporting this.  I was a very happy customer of Netflix since Dec of 2010. The User interface was great, and streaming quality was okay.  Nevertheless, I really enjoyed streaming feature, and could have seen myself a customer for life.  That was until I noticed my bill was increased by 60% without my direct consent or acknowledgment.

I thought Netflix was considered a fair company, so I figured I could call and reason with him about a $8/month adjustment for a total of 6 months.  I explained to them that I was not aware of this increase, nor consented to it, so I would like it either 1) refunded or 2) a credit towards remaining a customer and the whole thing would be behind us.

Wouldn't you know, they refused to accept any responsibility this surprise price increase; and we proceeded to cancel my membership. [continued below]....
.....

How in the world to they explain this policy to their Shareholders??  Between crediting a customer $48 towards their bill to KEEP that customer,   or stealing their $48 and losing that customer for life,  ....they chose the latter!!  What sort of business sense can that possibly make??

I told them,  you know what would be fair; is to FORCE customer to acknowledge the exact dollar increase upon any logging into the account. Then they can claim we were made aware,  but to just bury this fact in a mountain of "TOS details" (which they know, nobody reads), is just SNEAKY and irresponsible.

It bothered me to have to cancel my membership,  but I am a man of principle, and those principle tell me Netflix does not deserve another dollar from me.   What they did was outright deception and fraud!!  Their existing policy on this matter deserve everything that followed with thier stock price.  Disgraceful!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 03/06/2012 02:54 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/NETFLIX/Fort-Lauderdale-Florida-/NETFLIX-unannouced-price-increase-scam-Fort-Lauderdale-Florida-849639. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on NETFLIX

The price increase didn't even affect me and...

AUTHOR: sillyrob - (USA)

...I knew all about it. 90% of America knew about it and was complaining about it because, well, that's what you do in good ole Murica. They didn't do anything wrong, you're just upset that you didn't pay attention, and now you want to place the blame on other people. Get over yourself, it wasn't THAT much of an increase.

Yep..

...but you sound like checkbook balancing losers.
- If balancing a checkbook makes me a "loser" than I must be a "loser"..and proud of it.

Now, that I admit that I am a "loser" how about you admitting you just screwed up.

Why?

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

None of the people responding here work for Netflix - that's well beyond ridiculous and it's the response of a child.

Why we respond and post is completely irrelevant and is an effort to change the subject.  The actual subject is that Netflix changed their rates, notified all their customers multiple times and in many ways.  You are too oblivious, irresponsible, unorganized or whatever to take notice of it and take appropriate action. You are now making a fool of yourself by whining on a public forum and making silly accusations which have nothing to do with your percieved problem.

Admit you screwed up and move on.

Neither

AUTHOR: Mandy - (U.S.A.)

"So are you guys employees or just losers??  Which ONE is it??" Are you suggesting that one has to be either a Netflix employee OR a loser, and there are no other options? Well, if that's the case, which one are you? You're not a Netflix employee, so you must be a LOSER.

See how that works? Nobody stole anything from you. None of us here work for Netflix. If you'd do a little research, you'd know that many of us comment on reports all across the board, and defend both the consumer and the companies, depending on where the fault lies. Heck, I even have my own report posted. But I doubt you'd take the time to figure that out, because you don't even bother to keep up with your own finances.

But you are going to sit there in your imaginary righteous indignation (look it up, smart guy) and continue to believe the world owes you something.

There's no help for people like you. None whatsoever.

I'm done. Have fun with your ignorance, loser.

To answer the most important question.

AUTHOR: Jim Martin - (USA)

So are you guys employees or just losers??  Which ONE is it??

We must be losers since you keep accusing us of working for Netflix and I, among others, have never received any paycheck.

Otherwise, please explain how it makes any sense for 15 of you to be here involved in a topic you were completely unaffected by?  (since you all check every email and balance your checkbook on the same day it debits your account ---  LMAO,  that was a best one)!!!!

Well, I was affected by the price increase because I do pay the new rate that was set 6 months ago.  And I believe almost everyone commenting is affected in pretty much the same way.  Either they pay the new rate or they cancelled their membership when they READ THE EMAIL sent by Netflix.

...but you sound like checkbook balancing losers.

Yep, and every time the numbers haven't matched up right, the issue was resolved.  I even had one month where Netflix sent the monthly fee twice.  All I did was call them up AT 3:00 IN THE MORNING and they immediately reversed the extra charge.

PS, I haven't "balanced" my checkbook since I was issued one at the age of 18.

Well that's your problem, not Netflix.  If you were checking even once monthly like the attendant told you WHEN YOU OPENED THE ACCOUNT, you would have caught it sooner and Netflix may have worked something out with you.

One quick question, just how old are you anyway.  We know you are at least 18 years and 6 months.  So what is your real age?  19? 20?

Haven't had a single problem, that is until NETFLIX STOLE MY MONEY WITHOUT MY DIRECT AUTHORIZATION.  Oh well, luckily it was only $48.

You gave them authorization to send the monthly fee.  Had you read the email, it does state that you have until the rate increase takes affect to cancel your membership, otherwise you accept the new rate.  It is not Netflix fault that you did not read the email.  And it is not Netflix fault that you went at least 5 months without looking at a single bank statement.

Well, judging from the way you have been whining on this forum, if I owned Netflix I probably wouldn't want your business anyway.  The 800,000 others complained and cancelled their memberships BEFORE the price change took affect, why do you think you get to put yourself into the same group as them?

Reputation Management --  WOW, what a concept!  I'm going to post on other boards,  hope to see the whole gang there!  ;)

What sites?  I'll be sure to be there.

Love this banter with you guys!

Right back at ya!

Same thing happened to me

AUTHOR: Stacey - (U.S.A.)

So I called Netflix, explained the situation once I LOOKED AT MY BANK STATEMENT!  They apologized, gave me a month for 4.00 and I got my old rate back and have ever since.  Quick and easy!

YOU FAILED TO ANSWER THE MOST IMPORANT QUEASTION;

AUTHOR: KarmaPower - (USA)

So are you guys employees or just losers??  Which ONE is it??

Otherwise, please explain how it makes any sense for 15 of you to be here involved in a topic you were completely unaffected by?  (since you all check every email and balance your checkbook on the same day it debits your account ---  LMAO,  that was a best one)!!!!

I mean, I don't know ANYONE with a life, that would go though the measure you go though to defend a company they have no connection to! Please answer the question.   It pains me to say this,  but you are probably decent people,  and not losers.

...but you sound like checkbook balancing losers.

PS, I haven't "balanced" my checkbook since I was issued one at the age of 18.  Haven't had a single problem, that is until NETFLIX STOLE MY MONEY WITHOUT MY DIRECT AUTHORIZATION.  Oh well, luckily it was only $48. They lost much more by losing me as a customer and 800,000 others.  But at least you guys benefit from the ordeal!

Reputation Management --  WOW, what a concept!
I'm going to post on other boards,  hope to see the whole gang there!  ;)

Love this banter with you guys!

My response. Now you can call me an employee too.

AUTHOR: Jim Martin - (USA)

"NETFLIX HAS IMPOSED A 60% RATE INCREASE AND DEBITED THE FUNDS FROM UNSUSPECTING CUSTOMER'S ACCOUNTS that did not check their email or bank statement!"

Well, it is your own fault that you did not check your email or bank statement.  I have had an account with the same bank for over 10 years now and have never overdrafted BECAUSE I check my statements.

"FURTHERMORE, NETFLIX DEFENDS THIS PRICE HIKE TACTIC, SUGGESTING IT CAN HAPPEN AGAIN AT ANYTIME!"

We live in an open market.  Every company has the right to charge what they want for their service or product.  This also includes any price changes they want to make.  It is up to you, the consumer, to decide whether or not the product or service is worth the amount the business wants to charge.  If you don't think it is worth the money, then take your money elsewhere.  So, yes, it can happen again, at anytime, provided Netflix notifies their customers BEFORE the price change takes affect.

Now, my question for you is:  If Netflix had sent you a certified letter that you had to sign for and you did not open it, would you still complain about not knowing about the price increase that happened 6 months ago?

I use auto pay for several of my bills too.  I know what day they should be sent and what day they should hit my bank account.  And do you want to know what I do with that information?  On the day it hits my bank account, I log in to this thing they have called online banking and make sure the amount that was sent and the amount that was supposed to be sent match.  If they don't, then someone has some explaining to do.  And you better believe the phone calls to the company start that same day.

Now, accuse me of being an employee so I can go collect my paycheck.

My Bosses? LMAO!

AUTHOR: Mandy - (U.S.A.)

Oh my God, you're an idiot.

Ridiculous

AUTHOR: Mandy - (U.S.A.)

Of course you're not being met with sympathy. You're a spoiled crybaby who screwed up and wants to blame everyone else. I'll bet my favorite pair of shoes that, when you were growing up, all you had to do was whine to your parents and suddenly everything went your way.

Bottom line: we do not work for Netflix, we balance our checkbooks because we are responsible adults, and you're a spoiled brat who doesn't know how to do anything for himself/herself so you point the finger and yell "It's your fault!" just like a child.

NETFLIX AVOIDED RESPONSIBLE MEASURE TO 60% RATE HIKE!!!

AUTHOR: KarmaPower - (USA)

THE GIG IS UP GUYS,  I'M ON TO YOU!
I am now well aware of your industry and it all adds up.

Do Reputation Management Services Work?

Companies like this are designed to mask and drown out the damage caused by companies like Netflix;
The REVIEW BUSTERS!

Your job is designed to drown out customers with legitimate claims. SHAME ON YOU!!!

You make it painfully obvious,  soooooo, take a hike!

BTW,  this is how your client could have avoided this disaster!   Upon login;

"Please take a minute to acknowledge the following scheduled price increase."

Simple as that, I solved this problem! NOT ONE person can claim being unaware, preserving customer satisfaction.  Take THAT to your bosses!

Oh wait, that's a double-edged sword,  bcuz if your clients act responsibly YOU WOULDN'T BE IN BUSINESS.     Hmmm, dilemma-dilemma!    ;)

When John Wayne said "You can't fix stupid"....

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

He had YOU in mind....go figure.

You really are a simpleton.

NETFLIX DAMAGE CONTROL TEAM

AUTHOR: KarmaPower - (USA)

I was just wondering; what are the odds that on a website designed for customer to share they experience of feeling ripped-off,  my post is met not with sympathizers or the countless  Customers that reported their Netflix Rip-Off experience,  ....BUT is rather met with a team of unconditional supports for Netflix???!!   Hmmmmmm

I mean, could it possibly be more obvious that you are team with a specific agenda?!  There is no other explanation to why you guys so vigorously defend Netflix antics. Some of you, admittedly are NOT EVEN CUSTOMERS!  :-O

Now, it all makes sense as to why you guys miss my point entirely!!!   LOL

That is why you SPIN this into an email issue, media issue, etc etc,  and my favorite of all;
Balance the checkbook!  LMAO!!!

So here, I'll have to simplify my point for you, as to not arm you with nonsense to further cloud a valid point;

Bill me the rate we agreed upon, or get my specific approval otherwise

Easily accomplished AND seems reasonable enough to me!
Yet, I already know your team will have something to say about that outrageous expectation, ...so let's hear it?!  :)

A National problem

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

One of our more serious problems is people like you who seem to be constitutionally incapable of assuming responsibility for your own actions.  You then make a fool of yourself by throwing a childish hissy fit.

A very common practice on this kind of site is that if the OP doesn't agree with any of the rebuttals, they accuse the poster of being an employee.  It usually means you have run out of any valid points.

If you read many posts on ROR you will find many of the people who responded to your complaint have responded to many reports for various reasons.  When you post on a public forum you can and probably will get responses you don't agree with.  If you have a problem with that, don't post.

I still like Netflix and many people are pissed - I understand that - the point is that we were all acutely aware of the rate changes and made informed decisions based on our own requirements.

AUTHOR: PoweredByKarma - (United States of America)

WOW, you've assembled quite a team on here!  Amazing how everyone has the same tone, and Talking Points!!   I am sure you're not employed by Netflix directly, so I would say more of a PR firm.

Well, it's obvious what you are trained in;  CLOUDING THE ISSUE!

Twisting little things around enough, to hope the person comes back to address your nonsense.

MY WHOLE POINT IS HOW NETFLIX COULD HAVE ACTED MORE RESPONSIBLE.

YOUR OBJECTIVE IS AVOID THIS RADICAL IDEA, BY POINTING THE FINGER BACK AT THE VICTIMS!

The ONLY way to explain how your losers would be on here defending companies, rather understanding the concerns of customers, is because you have your own agenda.  So why doesn't your team just go praise Netflix on another site, and blow sunshine up people's  a** there. This site is for people who feel RIPPED OFF,  so I can't imagine why else you send your time like this.  Hmmmm,  are you employed or just losers??

Nobody had a single reasonable response to my 3 points,  and of course I never expected you to, because they are clear as day.

So to recap: NETFLIX IRRESPONSIBLE APPROACH TO RATE HIKE

#1 Customers like me heard the buzz about change, but not the exact details. I personally feel when you drastically hike rates 60%, there should be a more formal notification than email and cable news orgs.  That's all!   #2 would be the BEST possible solution to not leave that %age of the customers feeling ripped off and trashing Netflix online.

#2 Price change of this magnitude should require acknowledgment upon usage.  You know how companies put in your face when you miss a PAYMENT.  This concept escaped them. To the one nitwit who questioned this function's difficulty or my experience, I'll have you know I am web developer,  and could have banged out the task to this RESPONSIBLE approach before lunchtime.

#3 Netflix approach to a 60% price hike was IRRESPONSIBLE at best! Considering more effective solutions they managed to avoid, I consider it; Strategic Theft.   And no, I won't go reporting it to the Policy, but I may suggest a policy change to the FTC.  Maybe they should investigate how many VICTIMS Netflix profited from!

The rest of your murky comments are designed to shift topics,  I'm not here for that.

So run along and bust out those checkbooks, start balancing them, and make sure every penny is accounted for,  OR STEP INTO THE 21st CENTURY. I happen to be more efficient with my time,  that is, UNTIL NETFLIX STOLE FROM ME WITHOUT MY DIRECT CONSENT.

Oh well,  that's life.  I'm free to take my business elsewhere, and trash them online for as long as I'm bothered by it and provoked by your Netflix Liberation campaign!

NETFLIX DAMAGE CONTROL SQUAD - GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    :)

Very amusing.

AUTHOR: Flynrider - (USA)

" Too bad for you, I am too sharp this tactic of yours. "

Given your responses in this thread, I would gauge your sharpness to approximate that of a beach ball.

For the record, I am not a Netflix customer, yet I knew all about the service split and the price increases.  It was all over the national news and the Internet for nearly a month.

Netflix just sent me an "e-mail", which I read...go figure...

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

They are asking me to post a rebuttal for them in exchange for a payment.

Okay, here goes, the OP is a narcissitic, egotistical, arrogant, opinionated, semi-literate fool, with excess money.

Alright, Netflix, make sure I get my check, as I only infrequently check my e-mail and delete most of them, unread, when I do.

Thanks.

Here's a freebie comment, Netflix need not pay for....The OP is a total jack@ss.

Okay...

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

Your right your 3 points will be dismissed...because they are easily dismissible.

#1) I NEVER said I expected to receive Certified Mail from Netflix, not even once! If you think so, you should go back and brush up on some 6th grade reading comprehension skills.
You inferred it when you made the following statement in post #5.
I love how they conveniently treat e-mail like it's CERTIFIED MAIL.

#2) NOTHING would have been more affective than Netflix making the Users acknowledge and agree to the new terms upon the next login/usage.  Of course, most companies do it that way only when it is in their favor to have you agree/acknowledge.
- Even if they did that, put it in 72pt text and made a buzzing sound until you re-typed in the new terms word for word, you would be here complaining that "No one ever pays attention to the terms".

# 3) You can speak "Personal Responsibility" from your TALKING POINTS, until you're blue in the face, but his SNEAKY approach still leaves THOUSANDS OF CUSTOMERS SUCKER PUNCHED FROM NETFLIX 60% RATE INCREASE. To truly be a responsible company,  Read point #2 again.
- If you truly had reading comprehension.  You would realize that a few comments(mine included) would even give you the benefit of the doubt if you had found it after the 1st month.  But letting it go 6 months is not "sneaky" and falls to..yep..PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Shall we do another round of this, until you understand the real issue that resulted in 800,000 canceled members??
- Umm...so 800,000 other people got this "sneaky" message and cancelled their accounts.  Perhaps these people were the ones who got a personal visit from a NetFlix employee letting them know about the increase and they just somehow missed you.

#19 General Comment

the real issue...

AUTHOR: Kilrath - (United States of America)

The real issue at hand here is that despite what you want to say you didn't pay any attention and now you're throwing a temper tantrum.  The "issue" that caused 800,000 members to cancel was the issue of price increases, i will agree to that but it happened BEFORE the price increase hit.

Netflix sent out plenty of notice, the media was all over the issue and you just didn't pay attention.

I would suggest that you leave your box more often but you would likely ignore that as well like you ignored the news and your email.

Laughable report

AUTHOR: MochaG - (United States of America)

It is obvious that the person is ignorance and self-righteousness. He blames everyone else for his laziness. This report is NOT a rip off but showing how foolish and lazy he is.

"I was on Auto-payment for a reason,  so that I don't have to check my bill every month."

I will rephrase this for you. "I was on Auto-payment for a reason, I am LAZY!" You do not need to check your bill, but you are responsible to check your current balance regardless. The balance is not for "having enough" but to see "who may be charging without your consensus."

"I love how they conveniently treat e-mail like it's CERTIFIED MAIL."

It is not, but they did not send an email only once either. Besides, other people pointed out that this related matter had been discussed everywhere for a couple of months. Even I who never used their service saw the discussion on technical forums for a couple of times. Your ignorance does not give you the right to say that you are a victim for their changes.

"I, on the other hand, am in no danger of overdrafting my account, so to balance my checkbook would be a moot point."

Bragging that he has "too much" money to waste his time balancing his checkbook. Your attitude shows that you have NO education. Oh wait, you might have an accountant to balance your book for you because you have too much money. Then blame your accountant! =)) If your definition of "balancing checkbook" is to keep yourself to pay day-by-day, you are deserved to be called an ignorance person.

Then what do you expect while you said "I love how they conveniently treat e-mail like it's CERTIFIED MAIL"? A FedEx mail?

#2) NOTHING would have been more affective than Netflix making the Users acknowledge and agree to the new terms upon the next login/usage.  Of course, most companies do it that way only when it is in their favor to have you agree/acknowledge.

It is obvious that you know NOTHING about software/application and usability. What you think is "ME ME and more ME." You have no vision of what can be changed, what should be changed, and what may be changed. What you think is "everything" should be changed to what you think it is convenient to yourself, but may not be for many others. And who knows, there could have already been notification when you log on, but you just DID NOT see because it is "too small" in your opinion to get your attention. You are one of a handful of real pain end-users.

Again, where is "SNEAKY" for others? It is only "you" who believes it because others knew about the changes. And of course, thousands left Netflix, but they did not leave because they did not see the charge after 6 months like someone who is complaining here. =))

I understand prefectly fine

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

why 800,000 users left them. Their product is not worth it at the new price point. I also cancelled netflix versus paying this ridiculous price hike. I do feel the price hike is ripping people off, but that is not the issue here. I cancelled BEFORE I was charged. How did I do such an amazing thing? I read my email. I read a newspaper that talked about the price hike. I watched the news and they talked it about it there. I checked yahoo news and it was all over there. Amazingly enough, I managed to find out about this price hike before it went in to effect and cancelled it!

If there's a manual I'm supposed to be reading from, I would really like a copy. Also, I haven't gotten my paycheck for defending netflix, well, ever. If you know how to contact them so I can get paid, I would love that information.

Bottom line, they were under no obligation to give you a pop up agreement box. The terms of use from teh company simply states that they would notify you of the rate increase. They sent you an email. They legally fulfilled their contract with you. Its not their fault you are too busy to read emails entitled "Important information about Rate Increase"

I understand your issue fully. You don't read your email. You dont read your bank statements. You don't watch the news. You don't read news on the internet. You don't read a newspaper. You don't balance your checkbook. You do blame everyone but yourself for not noticing an 8$ increase in your netflix bill.

A 6th Grade Comprehension Level?

AUTHOR: Mandy - (U.S.A.)

Oh yes, PLEASE talk about education. Shall we do just that?

"...I am too sharp this tactic of yours." Are you too sharp FOR this tactic? Is that what you meant to type?

"...would have been more affective..." Don't you mean effective?

"...Users..." A word does not need to be capitalized unless it is at the beginning of a sentence.

"...Personal Responsibility..." Here we go again with the unnecessary capitalization.

"...but his SNEAKY approach..." His? Who is the individual male you are speaking of?

"...THEY THREE POINTS..." Do I even need to say it?

"...this strategy of their..." *theirs

I'm not sure what you do that earns you so much money (which you obviously feel you need to brag about in order to show your imaginary superiority over those who oppose you), but it obviously doesn't require any writing skills whatsoever.

You're a twit. Everyone can see that but you.

AUTHOR: PoweredByKarma - (United States of America)

It is obvious you guys are trained in distorting the issue.  Too bad for you, I am too sharp this tactic of yours.

THEY THREE POINTS YOU WILL DISMISS AGAIN, BECAUSE YOUR MANUAL INSTRUCTS YOU TO CLOUD VALID ISSUES WITH DIVERSION.

And yes, Mandy.  Since I have one account solely for auto-payment,  where the monthly withdraw is about 5% of the avg balance,  ...I don't need to balance my pennies.  The increase was chump-change,  but NETFLIX WAS MORALLY IRRESPONSIBLE.  I don't deal with sneaky corporations, and so canceled my account.

And tell your employer this strategy of their is only fueling the fire! But hey,  as long as it's keeping you employed with a balanced checkbook, ....more power to you!

Reconcile monthly

AUTHOR: coast - (USA)

That is only one reason to reconcile a checking account on a monthly basis. An account should be reconciled to verify the accuracy of deposits and debits. It should be reconciled to determine what transactions are outstanding and to verify the accuracy of auto withdrawals.

I am not a Netflix customer (or employee) but yet I was aware of the increase because it was splattered throughout the media. Read your mail, email and maybe even pickup a newspaper occasionally.

"We put a MAN ON THE MOON"

How long have you been aware of that?

If you had bother with balancing your checkbook

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

You would have noticed the price increase the first month and been able to cancel and have it removed. The fact that you do not look at your bank statements, do not balance your checkbook and do not read your email places the blame 100% on you.

If you are so well off as to not need to balance your checkbook, I'm surprised you even noticed a paltry $8 charge to your account. I mean, its what pocket change for someone as wealthy as you?

No one is to blam here but yourself. Netflix did everything short of sending a midget on fire with a sign to your house in order to tell you. Why don't you go back and read your agreement with netflix over price increases?

Let's examine the contract that you agreed to when you took their service:

"Billing
By starting your Netflix membership, you are expressly agreeing that we are authorized to charge you a monthly membership fee at the then current rate, and any other charges you may incur in connection with your use of the Netflix service to the Payment Method you provided during registration (or to a different Payment Method if you change your account information). Please note that prices and charges are subject to change with notice. As used in these Terms of Use, "billing" shall indicate either a charge or debit, as applicable, against your Payment Method. "

Notice that you authorized them to draft their monthly fee from your account at the current rate including price increases as long as there was notice. They sent an email out with notice, so their portion of the contract has been fulfilled.

If you did not agree with allowing them to do this, you should not have signed up for service.

I don't believe you

AUTHOR: Mandy - (U.S.A.)

I don't believe for one second that the reason you don't balance your checkbook is because you have way more than enough money to get by. I know plenty of people who are quite well off, who watch every penny that goes in and out of their accounts. Furthermore, how do you presume to know how much money I have in my account

I've tried to get you to man up and take responsibility for yourself but it's obvious that I'm not going to be able to counter stupid with logic. Keep making bad decisions and keep losing money for it. I'm speaking to you as someone with experience making bad decisions, as I used to be far less responsible. I never tried to blame it on others, though. I was raised better than that.

#27 General Comment

suck it up you didn't pay attention

AUTHOR: Kilrath - (United States of America)

Netflix advertised their price increase for nearly 2 months before it actually happened, there was adequate time given for anyone to cancel the streaming, or physical dvd portion of their service.  Just because you didn't pay attention doesn't absolve you of your personal responsibility.

I personally canceled the dvd by mail portion of my service when the price hikes were coming because i rarely used it and i was given plenty of opportunity, opportunity that you apparently want sent your way via certified mail, perhaps requiring that you must sign for the letter at the door so that you know for sure that you got it but given the way that you have been ranting here my guess is that you would have signed for the letter then thrown it to the side and you would have been sitting here ranting anyway.

Netflix gave plenty of warning and in all of the notices that i recall receiving they noted that any lack of action to change the state of your account was seen as acceptance of the coming price changes and you would be charged accordingly.

Also to the note that you don't have to worry about checking your bank balance and balancing your register, i don't have to worry about overdrafting either but i still watch my accounts because it is the smart and responsible thing to do.

Before shooting off at the mouth next time you might want to get your facts straight.

NETFLIX CHOSE WORST POSSIBLE APPROACH TO RATE HIKE!

AUTHOR: PoweredByKarma - (United States of America)

Mandy,  you can balance your own checkbook since you keep just enough money in there to get by. I, on the other hand, am in no danger of overdrafting my account, so to balance my checkbook would be a moot point. The only danger I face is from sneaky companies like Netflix, that chose the worst possible solution to inform people of this 60% increase.  I canceled Netflix on PRINCIPAL alone! Nobody is going to take a one nickel from me that I didn't authorize!

As for the email,  I highly doubt you or anyone else for that matter checks and reads every single email that comes in.  If you do, you have waaaay too much time on your hand.

And if you are not contracted by Netflix for 'damage control',  then, what are you even doing on here?? Is this how you spend your time, belittling people who got (or felt) ripped off by Netflix??  I doubt you are that pathetic. Hope they pay well.  ;)

You're absolutely ridiculous

AUTHOR: Mandy - (U.S.A.)

You're absolutely ridiculous. You think that anyone who disagrees with you must be in the company's employ? Too funny. I'm a medical billing specialist out of Charleston. I'm a Netflix customer and an adult. An adult who understands what it means to take responsibility. I balance my checkbook, I check my emails, and if I fail to pay something, I understand that it's nobody's fault but mine.

Put your tinfoil hat back on and grow up.

NETFLIX TACTICS RAISED PRICES ON CUSTOMERS WITHOUT CONSENT

AUTHOR: PoweredByKarma - (United States of America)

NETFLIX DAMAGE CONTROL SQUAD MEMBER: "Mandy"

I presume you are just following orders with your scripted "talking points"

Your entire team sound like a broken record,  but failed to answer my question.

WHERE MY PREVIOUS COMMENT UNTRUE?

Personal Responsibility

AUTHOR: Mandy - (U.S.A.)

Netflix damage control squad? Boy oh boy, are you off your rocker!

It is called personal responsibility. You should learn to have it.

Responsible people check their email.

I just went back through my emails to find my notification. I had a hunch there might be something in the title of the email that announces the reason for it. Most email services (all of them, as far as I know) show you at least the beginning of the subject line. I'm willing to bet yours does too. Know what the subject of the email was? "Important Netflix Account Info: Price Change and New Plans?". At a glance, you'd know this was an important email.

Stop asking others to be responsible for your lack of attention to your own dealings.

Personal Responsibility

AUTHOR: Mandy - (U.S.A.)

Netflix damage control squad? Boy oh boy, are you off your rocker!

It is called personal responsibility. You should learn to have it.

Responsible people check their email.

NETFLIX HAS DEBITED CUSTOMER BANK ACCOUNT FOR UNCONFIRMED AMOUNT!

AUTHOR: PoweredByKarma - (United States of America)

To the NETFLIX DAMAGE CONTROL SQUAD;  is this fair to say?

I just want to be fair.  Is that an accurate statement?

--------------------------

ATTENTION ALL NETFLIX CONSUMERS; YOU MUST BE AWARE OF THE USE OF SUCH BUSINESS TACTICS! SPREAD THE WORD THAT THIS IS NETFLIX APPROACH TO RAISING RATES! FUTURE PRICE HIKES MAY ALSO NOT REQUIRE YOUR DIRECT ACCEPTANCE. IF YOU DO NOT NOTICE THE CHANGE, THEN YOU HAVE AGREED TO THEM BY DEFAULT! GREAT FOR NETFLIX,  BAD FOR CUSTOMERS!

HOW NETFLIX IS ALLOWED TO WITHDRAW FROM MY BANK ACCOUNT MORE THAN I AGREED TO, IS BEYOND ME!!  :(

AUTHOR: PoweredByKarma - (United States of America)

LOLOL,  you guys can not make it any more obvious that you are here to control the disaster Netflix created.   The fraud and deceptions continues!

Give me a break!  I agreed to one price, Netflix changed the terms WITHOUT MY CONSENT --  END OF STORY!!!   NETFLIX DEBITING MY BANK ACCOUNT FOR AN AMOUNT I DIDN'T AGREE TO IS A "RIPOFF" IN EVERY SENSE OF THE WORD!  THEY COULD EASILY HAVE SUSPENDED MY ACCOUNT UNTIL I ACKNOWLEDGE TERMS.  But nooooooo, surprising the geniuses over there avoided such a logical approach.

So since the NETFLIX  DAMAGE CONTROL SQUAD on here will defend this OUTRAGEOUS business tactic,  only goes to show this company will do it again.

BEWARE OF NETFLIX,  IF YOU DO NOT OPEN EVERY SINGLE EMAIL FROM THEM,  THE ONE YOU MISS COULD BE A WHOOPING 60% INCREASE IN YOUR BILL.  BY DEFAULT, THEY WILL AUTOMATICALLY AGREE TO THEIR OWN NEW TERMS ON YOUR BEHALF.  HOW CONVENIENT FOR NETFLIX!!!  THEY CONTINUE TO SUPPORT JUST BUSINESS TACTICS!  BEWARE!!!

DAMAGE CONTROL SQUAD - GO!!!    ....let's hear the same song and dance from you.

Notification

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

I was actually notified several times about the fee changes.  I say changes because my Netflix bill actually went down. I always read EMails from companies I deal with.  You could have a separate EMail address just for business oriented mail.  If we can send a man to the moon, you should be able to figure out how to keep current on your business EMail.

We never streamed movies so we just switched to DVD only.  Our price went down compared to the DVD price before the change.

The real mistake that Netflix made was to add streaming for free to begin with.  When they first made streaming available they should have charged a small additional fee immediately.  That would certainly have been justified - additional fee for additional capability -. Then this whole thing would not have happened.

It's still very cheap for unlimited streaming.

Netflix is awesome, I love it!

No, I do not work for Netflix.

AUTHOR: Ken - (USA)

to advise you of the rate change.  It is probably "insanely optimistic" to expect YOU to also check more often than 6 months to see WHAT you are being billed.

When you reported this "THEFT" to the police, did they say they would look into it, or fall on the floor laughing their butts off?

Keep doing what you're doing, look how well its worked so far.

Stop bitching and cancel your account with them, they'll be happier too.

"WHAT PERCENT GOT SCREWED?
SUBMITTED: Wednesday, March 07, 2012POSTED: Wednesday, March 07, 2012
How many people do you think open up every piece of email that comes from a particular company?? Let's go with a crazy HIGH value of 80%?? Which is insanely optimistic to begin with. So that leave 20% screwed bcuz they either didn't open email, check spam filter, old email accts, whatever.... Nice perk for Netflix to have such a volume of uncontested customers. Customers that when they discover the THEFT will be criticized for not reading every piece of email that comes in. What a joke!

We put a MAN ON THE MOON; we can certainly MAKE CUSTOMERS ACKNOWLEDGE INCREASES before proceeding to use service.

Plenty of fools that defend Netflix ignorance, that want to overlook this fundamental concept."

Rant all you want

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Responsible people read their emails. Responsible people read their bank statements. You know that thing you get in the mail every single month from the bank? The one that lists off every charge made to your bank account? You know the thing you are supposed to balance against your check register and make sure the charges are correct? Have you ever read it? Clearly not. Much like your email you just throw it away without reading it. There is not ripoff here on Netflix's part. They informed their customers, they just didn't inform you the way you wanted them too. Autopay is no excuse, you should check that every month to make sure it drafts.

WHAT PERCENT GOT SCREWED?

AUTHOR: PoweredByKarma - (United States of America)

How many people do you think open up every piece of email that comes from a particular company??  Let's go with a crazy HIGH value of 80%??  Which is insanely optimistic to begin with.   So that leave 20% screwed bcuz they either didn't open email, check spam filter, old email accts, whatever....   Nice perk for Netflix to have such a volume of uncontested customers.  Customers that when they discover the THEFT will be criticized for not reading every piece of email that comes in.   What a joke!

We put a MAN ON THE MOON;  we can certainly MAKE CUSTOMERS ACKNOWLEDGE INCREASES before proceeding to use service.

AUTOPAY SHOULD BE AUTOMATIC

AUTHOR: PoweredByKarma - (United States of America)

Let's put it like this;  I set things to AUTO pay so that I don't have to check and maintain my statement monthly, ...makes sense, right??  Okay!  With that said, I set it, and forgot it.  Now "sending" notices and "acknowledging" notices are as different as night and day!  Maybe you read every single piece of email in your inbox, (and good for you), but I would say 99% people do not.  So unless the subject was responsible enough to read something like "YOUR MONTHLY FEES ARE GOING UP",  I most likely did not see the urgency to open thier notice.

I love how they conveniently treat e-mail like it's CERTIFIED MAIL.

Let's not play stupid here;  if Netflix reaaaaally wanted to be clear about this whopping 60% increase, they would have make Users acknowledge the increase upon login on any application.  Instead, they sent emails and PLAYED STUPID;  "Oh, you did open your email, sorry we sent it"  --  Give me break with this tacky approach that CLEARLY benefits Netflix over their loyal Users.

FYI,  in those 6 months,  I got 2-3 DVDs by mail.  All I asked for was a credit, or I'll take my business elsewhere.  Which I did.  100000% the most foolish position to take with LOYAL-PAYING customers.  ...now they have one less.

Not a Rip Off

AUTHOR: Mandy - (U.S.A.)

I am also a customer and received the email. I'm pretty sure (though not 100% positive) that I also received a notice in the mail.

Also, the increase was all over the news, the internet, and late-night talk shows for quite a while. This was due to the backlash from consumers who did not want the change to happen. I'm pretty sure those consumers were not psychic, so they must have received some sort of advance notice in order to complain before the change took effect, right?

NOTICE WAS WEAK AT BEST

AUTHOR: PoweredByKarma - (United States of America)

I was on Auto-payment for a reason,  so that I don't have to check my bill every month.  Changing user's terms who are on Autopay should be a CRIME!  If you truly have good intension, this is how you notify someone effectively;  Upon login there should be a message that can't be ignored;  "We are raising prices on [date], check here to acknowledge this notification."    See how simple and effective this would be!  Instead they buried the details in fine print terms,  --  TACKY!!

It's is absurd to assume people open every single email, and then just presume their cooperation if they didn't open it -- how convenient for NETFLIX.

As for all the media/news,  it all said separating DVD from Streaming. Never did I hear all customers will be switched to higher rate AUTOMATICALLY, with no concept required.

Amazing

AUTHOR: Robert - (U.S.A.)

The lack of people willing to take responsibility for their actions on this site always amazes me.

Netflix did send out notification of the price increase.  If you want proof just search this site for people who DID receive the notification and thought it was a RipOff that a company wants to increase the price.

But you don't stop there.  You not only are upset that you think they didn't notify you, but you want them to be responsible for 6 months of charges because YOU didn't notice it on your bank statements.  That is where you loose any remaining credibility.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, perhaps they did have bad contact information.  So had you called them after the first month the increase showed up on your bill, you may have had a valid claim.  However, after 6 months of you not noticing it, this is all on you.

They did inform their customers

AUTHOR: Ashley - (U.S.A.)

Approx 1-2 months prior to the price increase they emailed a notice to the email account listed on your netflix account. Do you regularly check this account? Its likely there, maybe in your spam filter. Either way, a price increase is not a ripoff. Also, have you been living under a rock? This has been all over the media since august about their price increase, you just noticed? That must mean you never check your bank statements either.