Complaint Review: New Directions For Young Adults

• Updated: Mon, May 12, 2014

• Reported By: James — New York New York United States of America
New Directions For Young Adults
3275 Hillsboro Blvd. Deerfield Beach, Florida United States of America

New Directions For Young Adults New Directs South Florida Scam, Abuse, Lies, Overcharging Deerfield Beach, Florida

*UPDATE Employee: Testimonial

*UPDATE Employee: Ripoff report wont pull review

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: False Allegations and Reports

*UPDATE Employee: New Directions

Be very wary of this program.  It is not at all as advertised.  They seem to spend more time on advertising then helping the actual kids.  Dr.  Rubin is a consistent liar to parents and seems to be more interested in money than your child's safety.  He puts kids with Autism and other mental handicaps in significant danger, by putting them with drug addicts and gambles, by not being selective and specializing in what they treat.  This leads to many of the lower functioning kids to be abused verbally and peer pressured into crime, I saw multiple shop lifting first hand that led to an arrest of a student there who was doing it on behalf of another person.
Dr. Rubin realized on the unfortunate mental disabilities these kids are given to lie and manipulate them because they do not understand social cues, and when they are being lied too.  In the new directions building the phone number that is required to be posted in all mental health facilities in Florida, is hid behind a do, and also has the number partially worn off, so that no one will see it.  If they do take the time to look close enough and this hidden mental health abuse number they would be seen by staff and I'm sure degraded.
Confidentially is a major issue at this program.  Considering it is mental health, you can hear and are told by the stay about everyones business and also there personal information.  I was in there building and literally heard a whole therapy session in the room next door.  They do not have the facilities to support this program.  My information was revealed to other patients as well, leading to significant damage, when i would express issued with another patient that patient was told, and some of the patients don't like "snitches" so you are effectively then treated poorly by people you could be in group therapy with because they do not want to do the right thing. When I raised concerns about certain participants in the program abusing people without the mental capacity to deal with it they told me, they were going to kick those individuals out, and then go on to tell me there whole story and mental diagnosis in some cases unsolicited.
The programs services, are not at all as advertised.  They significantly exaggerate the extent of services to which they are able to provide.  For example, I was told I would have regular meetings with a therapist.  This did not happen.  They were frequently cancelled due to the unorganized nature of the program.
  Dr. Rubin will run up your bill significantly if you do not watch him closely.  He will add service charges that would never performed.  He is a scam-artist at heart.  I was told by a family member of his that worked there he was a "hustler" by nature.  I was also made aware Dr. Rubin spends most nights at the casino until very late and never gets to into his office until ten the next morning.  This led to some of my appointments that I was later charged for.  Along with running this program he also is a professional poker player.   He made his money to start this program through playing poker.
Warning, do not bring anything valuable or a cell phone or computer that other patients know about.  Some kids there are not allowed to have cell phones or computers in their apartments as a restriction.  Which means they are constantly trying to come to your apartment and sit on your computer all day, and or using your cell as if it were there own.  While I was attending this program one of the participants in the program actually stole another participants car, multiple students repeatedly broke the drug policies and pressured those with lower mental capacity to do so as well. Dr. Rubin also employs multiple family members including his girlfriend on his staff.  This is a definent conflict of interest as she does not have a psychology degree and is significantly younger, it is an uneasy situation, as they make obviously sexual references while at work.
Another major problem with this program is there abuse of internet review systems. Look in the filtered reviews on Yelp.  I wrote a perfectly legitimate review that was negative.  I was contacted immediately by another ex-client of the program, thanking me for my review and saying her review had been censored some days after she posted it also.  Then two days later my review was also sensored.  They then add obviously fake reviews to the filtered section to improve there star rating.  They seem to be more computer savvy than in psychology.
I know personally, from being in contact with other people who were ripped off that law suits are beginning to be pursued.  Save yourself some time and money and avoid a florida get rich scam from a poker player.  Most of all do not risk your child's life by putting them in an unsupervised setting with people who are con-artist, when your child is most vulnerable.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/14/2012 08:41 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/New-Directions-For-Young-Adults/Deerfield-Beach-Florida-/New-Directions-For-Young-Adults-New-Directs-South-Florida-Scam-Abuse-Lies-Overcharging-982343. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on New Directions For Young Adults

Testimonial

AUTHOR: BobbyJ1978 - ()

I have worked for New Directions for Young Adults for 5 years and I can say without equivocation that I know of no other program that cares about its clients more than New Directions. We strive everyday to make sure that our clients succeed in their transition to independent living. Our culture of caring for the clients we service and making sure they succeed comes from our Executive Director Dr. Andrew Rubin. He started New Directions out of a need to help young adults that have had difficulty transitioning into independent living. His passion for helping others has created a program that has helped countless young adults live health independent lives.

Ripoff report wont pull review

AUTHOR: Kent Grelling - ()

I am a clinical psychologist, a longtime colleague of Dr Andrew Rubin, and I have seen first-hand the positive impact this program has had in the lives of many young adults. Dr Rubin also has numerous parents, educational consultants and colleagues who have seen the effectiveness of his program and are responsible for its continued success, in spite of the clear negative impact this false Ripoff Report review has had on his program. In fact, I feel strongly enough about the impact of this program that I have joined with Dr Rubin to develop and direct a second New Directions site.

This single review has likely cost this program dozens of referrals, despite the fact that the original poster of this report has admitted in a lawsuit that this review and other allegations he posted on the internet under various names are entirely untrue. Dr Rubin has legal documents attesting to this, but Ripoff Report will not remove this review. However, they say they will lower its appearance in search engines, if Dr. Rubin pays them thousands of dollars to "arbitrate" the dispute, or pays them on an ongoing basis to become part of their "corporate advocacy program". In fact, this is Ripoff Report's business model - they solicit negative reviews and then extort the target companies for money. Why doesn't Dr Rubin sue them directly? Because, for understandable reasons, consumer advocacy organizations are shielded against lawsuits for the allegations they print. Ripoff Report hides behind these laws and uses them to blackmail companies.

If you do not believe this, I urge you to google "Ripoff Report Forbes" to see the article Forbes magazine wrote about Ripoff Report and their business model. And if you are interested in the New Directions program, I urge you to call their offices and ask for referrals to one of the parents thankful for the work they do. You will be glad you took the time to check them out thoroughly.

#3 REBUTTAL Owner of company

False Allegations and Reports

AUTHOR: New Directions - ()

There have been numerous false accusations, communications, allegations and representations of a defamatory and disparaging manner concerning New Directions for Young Adults, Inc. and Dr. Rubin. New Directions regularly provides references to all our prospective clients. Please feel free to contact us for information at (954) 571 5102.

New Directions

AUTHOR: NDFYA - (United States of America)

New Directions and its employees always strive to achieve the highest level of customer satisfaction possible. We handle any grievances with the utmost seriousness, to ensure that our program continues to provide the best services possible for our students and their families.

Because we are a program that helps young adults transition to independence, we sometimes face resistance from our clients who experience discontent. The goal of our program is to teach young adults how to live a healthy, happy independent life. For students who struggle with independence, facing reality during this process can be frustrating. Just as a student may act out in class or refuse to do work when facing a challenge, our students often struggle, especially in the beginning stages.  Transitioning to adulthood can be difficult and some students can get overwhelmed during the learning process but we always try to achieve the highest level of care possible.

That being said, this negative report posted by James comes as a surprise to us. We all work so hard each and every day to help our students, and we work to make everyone's experience as positive as possible. This also surprises us because we are a relatively small program and we have only had a few students named James. None of our students named James were from New York City, and more importantly, we could not imagine any of them writing this. They were both very happy with our program and their time here.

This review posted by "James" contains multiple misleading statement and many false claims.

We understand that "James" may want to keep his anonymity but New Directions appreciate it if he would contact us through our website NDFYA.com. This way we can personally assist him and understand why he would post a review like this.

We sincerely hope that this negative and erroneous report will be removed by the poster.

New Directions for Young Adults