• Report: #120245

• Submitted: Mon, November 29, 2004
  • Updated: Fri, August 18, 2006

• Reported By:bronx New York
New York State Child Support
P.O. Box 830 Canal Street Station New York, New York U.S.A.

New York State Child Support rip-off! Let me make a living, I need to support my new family. Bronx New York

*Consumer Comment: Wait a minute..........

*Consumer Comment: Child Support

*Consumer Comment: NYS Child Support

*Consumer Comment: I'm glad I read of your problems.

*Consumer Comment: I do have sympathy for Paul - shut up Matt - We women need to stand up and start being responsible.

*Consumer Comment: DON'T LET HER GET AWAY WITH IT

*Consumer Suggestion: You have to live the expierence

*Consumer Comment: She's really right

*Consumer Suggestion: Take her to court...

*Consumer Comment: Re; Rebutal

*Consumer Comment: Get A life Idiot

*Consumer Suggestion: Be A Man

I am a divorced father of two. I have one child with my first wife, and now a 2nd child with my 2nd wife. I am currently paying $816.00 monthly for one child for my first ex-wife who decided that she would live her life off of the welfare system until the next sucker came along. My 2nd wife and I get along just fine and I pay her $500.00 a month and I pick up my son every weekend and I also spend money on buying him what he need's above and beyond what I provide his mother who has a job.

My first wife now owns a home in New Jersey. She works, her new husband works, and they pay their mortgage with my hard earned money. They all have medical insurance, and even though she has medical insurance the state of New York has seen fit to send a order of medical coverage that will cost me an additional $120.00 even though she does not live in New York State and will never use this medical insurance. Yeah sure this is very fair.

I live in a furnished room because it's all I can afford. The only other alternative would be to quit working and become a homeless bum. The government is not looking into the situations, how does a woman that lived on welfare most of her adult life go from being on public assistance to owning a home? Meanwhile I pay her mortgage and I live in a room with minimal space. Where is the justice?

Paul
bronx, New York

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/29/2004 10:21 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/New-York-State-Child-Support/New-York-New-York-10013/New-York-State-Child-Support-rip-off-Let-me-make-a-living-I-need-to-support-my-new-famil-120245. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on New York State Child Support

Wait a minute..........

AUTHOR: Dani - (U.S.A.)

Ok so I am a single mother with an ex boyfriend that is over 2 years behind on child support. I think you are doing exactly what you should be doing in this situation, but.........you state that her and her hubby both work so how do you figure that YOUR hard earned money is being spent on the mortgage rather than theirs? And even if you could prove that it was your money, isn't that just your money paying for the roof over you child's head? Isn't that what child support is for? Why are you bitching about that?

Child Support

AUTHOR: Ivonne - (U.S.A.)

I agree that you should go back to court and try to get a modification. I am also a woman and think the system is sometimes unfair to good men and women. I took the father of my son to court and I was told that I would get $360.00 biweekly for one child, the father was not making much money and even though that was his only child it seemed excessive, but he had disappeared when I was 7 months pregnant and I had to track him down and put him in jail because he would not show up in court..by the time I got any money my son was 2.

During all that time I worked til the day before I gave birth and went back to work 6 weeks later. I had to pay for formula, childcare, etc. it can be very expensive. You people forget about furniture, birthdays, activities, etc. I told him we could have worked something out but he just kept doing this. I wished for my son to have a relationship with his father but once again he disappeared after seeing him on a semi-regular basis and my son has not seen him since he was 4 and now he is 7.

I do receive child support when he surfaces working somewhere, but I have to be the one finding out where because child support in NYC takes very very long in finding him. In the mean time I have to support my son alone.

Unfortunately, good men and women get screwed financially, but the most important ones that get lost in the shuffle are the children! Keep seeing your children and try not to make them feel like it's their fault. You sound like a good father.

Ivonne
Ridgewood, NY
USA

NYS Child Support

AUTHOR: Jennifer - (U.S.A.)

You think $816 per month is bad, try $1249 per month for one child! That's what my husband pays.

Here is the way NYS child support works. Both parents income is taken into account (but not any new spouse they may have). The court adds up the gross income of each parent and calculates the support. 17% for one child, 25% for two (with the same spouse) and then each parent is responsible for their pro-rata share. So, if the father makes $40,000 per year and the mother, $20,000, the amount of support is based on $60,000. 17% of $60,000 is $10,200. The mother's pro rata share is $3400 and the fathers is $6800 per year or $566.00 per month. Anything above that goes according to the stipulation agreement signed when you were divorced. Some stips include insurance coverage, half of tuition, half of uncovered medical expenses, etc.

Unfortunately for you, your children have two different mothers so the formula is the same each time.

If you feel that, based on this formula, you are entitled to pay less, you will need to file a "downward modification petition" at the court the child support order was issued. You do not need a lawyer to do this, you can file pro se. The court will supply you with instructions. If you feel you can't do this yourself, the courts do have people to assist you but they can be very busy and you may have to wait. Be prepared to have all your financial documents. W2's, tax returns etc.

As a disclaimer, I'm not a lawyer, just an educated consumer!

I applaud any man who wants to do the right thing but I do hate money grubbing women who see their child's father as nothing more than a cash cow. I would like to see them spend a day in court and hear the stories of women (and men) who can't get a dime of support!

I'm glad I read of your problems.

AUTHOR: Marc - (U.S.A.)

Because if this stuff ever happens to me, I'd rather take the money for the lawyer and pay someone to throw acid in the bitche's face. I'd still be paying, but at least the money wouldn't be buying some guy new cd's, dope, or a new car.

AUTHOR: Carol - (U.S.A.)

I'm a woman who understands what men go through and let me say this Matt - why don't you "be a man" you little p***k. Lesson one, learn it from me honey - don't you ever tell another man "if you can't afford kids don't have them" IT IS THE WOMAN WHO SPREADS HER LEGS - getting this? If SHE can't afford kids (on her own) then SHE shouldn't let them slip through that same vagina and into the world.

We women need to stand up and start being responsible. I have pets, not kids, and guess what? Can I introduce myself to people as "a single pet-owner" like "single moms" do and hear violins play a sad song? Aw you poor thing. Hell, these are my ex's pets too. He's gone, I chose to keep them and NEVER complain one day that I have to support them. (We're talking expensive like horses etc.) Yet how is it that these so-called "great moms" b***h and complain about money and act like kids are such a burden! My friends ex b***h makes $100K a year, he makes $20K and she's hounding him. He finally said look, If the kid's a burden I'll take her and you owe nothing. The woman had a FIT! because she'd been called out.

Face it - no longer are women making less money. If ya can't support the little bastards, then give them to their fathers and quit the whining.

YES men deserve to move on and start new families. Its not always that the man left the woman - my friend's b***h was cheating on him the whole time - he doesn't even know if the kids even his? And people want to call him deadbeat. He pays what he has and for what? No visitation, harassing emails, defamation? Meanwhile the mother of his alleged kid is always broke because of her cocaine habit? The kid is spoiled and bought everything because Mom neglects her? And people think women deserve support. They are held accountable for nothing.

Who's anyone to "own" another or take their hard earned cash? Its like saying a guy is never truly divorced then. So Matt you make no f**king sense at all. You wait until you're on the other end and see what a smartass you are. Moron.

DON'T LET HER GET AWAY WITH IT

AUTHOR: Shannon - (U.S.A.)

DON'T LISTEN TO THESE IDIOTS BLAMING YOU FOR IT ALL JUST BECAUSE YOU ARE THE MAN.

I AM A WOMAN MYSELF AND BELIEVE YOU ARE DOING A FINE JOB.

MY HUSBAND AND I WENT THROUGH THE SAME THING WITH HIS EX GIRLFRIEND, "EX-TWO WEEK FLING" MORE LIKE IT. WE WERE PAYING SUPPORT ON ONE CHILD AND YET SHE STILL COULD NOT KEEP HER RENT PAID, SHE COULD NOT CLOTHE THE CHILD AND SHE WOULD NOT TAKE HER TO DOCTORS.

SHE SPENT THE MONEY AT THE BARS AND NEVER HESITATED TO CALL CHILD SUPPORT IF THE PAYMENT WAS A DAY OR TWO LATE. NOW THAT THE TABLES ARE TURNED, THIS WOMAN IS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND. WE NOW HAVE THE CHILD, I HAVE ADOPTED HER AND THIS WOMAN OWES ARREARS.

MY SUGGESTION IS THIS....CHILD SUPPORT LAWS CHANGED AS OF THE FIRST OF THE YEAR. IT IS NOT 21% OF INCOME ANYMORE. IT IS NOW 50/50. WHEN YOU GO TO COURT, YOUR EX WIFE WILL ALSO HAVE TO PROVIDE PAY STUBS. IT IS COMPLETELY SPLIT DOWN THE MIDDLE NOW.

I WOULD CHECK INTO YOUR STATE'S CHILD SUPPORT WEB SITE AND GET SOME KNOWLEDGE ON IT FOR YOURSELF. GOOD LUCK AND DONT LET THESE IDIOTS GET TO YOU. AT LEAST YOU ARE PAYING FOR YOUR CHILD UNLIKE SEVERAL "DADS" AND "MOMS" OUT THERE WHO WILL NOT ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY.

IT IS JUST FRUSTRATING WHEN YOU KNOW THE MONEY IS NOT GETTING THE CHILD ALL HE/SHE NEEDS. THAT IS ALOT OF MONEY PER MONTH.

#7 Consumer Suggestion

AUTHOR: Julie - (U.S.A.)

Child support is based on the income of both parents. So, if she is working now, they base it on her current income. Don't listen the woe is me people, it can be lowered. They usually can't use the 2nd child's support against the first (check your state laws), BUT, they do base it on both parents income as is only fair. (Her spouse's income doesn't come into play, except for the fact that they consider his income to defray her living expenses, thereby freeing up more of her money).

As to what she spends it on, unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about that. I am not saying I agree with that, but she isn't required to account for any of it. The way the courts look at it though, paying a mortgage with it is acceptable. The child has to have somewhere to live and if she didn't have the child, her living expense could be less (maybe it wouldn't be, but it could be). She would need one less bedroom, one less bed, the utilities would be cheaper, the laundry is cheaper, etc.

#8 Consumer Suggestion

#9 Consumer Suggestion

#10 Consumer Suggestion

#11 Consumer Suggestion

You have to live the expierence

AUTHOR: Dabomb - (U.S.A.)

I'm With Joe, Marcie & everyone else that suggests "TAKE HER BACK TO COURT".
"BUT", They have to live the Situation.
I filed My Own Report, About Patricia Abel, In AUBURN, NY.
To Drag These women Back into Court is like taking The Virgin Mary into the NYS Family Court System for Pre-Marital Sex.
You Don't stand a Chance !!!!!!
YOU WILL BE HUMILIATED !
YOU WILL BE BERATED !!!
YOU WILL WASTE YOUR TIME !!!
& YOU Will GET NOTHING, ( Except MAYBE a Lesson IN the feeling of SEX with-out a KISS.)
There is ANOTHER Altenative !
Write To The GOVENOR !
Be Prepared to write several letters, Wite To the LT. GOVENOR !
( Copies do Work )
Write to them Once a week.
YOU WILL GET A RESPONSE.
WRITE OFTEN, Even if You do get your day in Court, You will have to start ANOTHER, Letter writing Campaign !!!

AUTHOR: Dawn - (U.S.A.)

I have to agree with Marcie (?) and the guy from Canada. You should take her back to court and it doesn't cost that much to support 2 children, well, not if you're supposed to be splitting everything 50/50.

I myself have 2 children and used to be a single mom until I married my wonderful husband who refuses to let me work and takes great care of my two children and I.

Total cost of daycare (now I did go with the cheapest I could find and couldn't be happier) only cost TOTAL $600/mo for BOTH kids. Now they do eat alot but they're growing kids and yes they go through clothes out the wazoo but I shop at Walmart. (For them and ME) You are REALLY GETTING SCREWED! You definately need to take her back and have the fin. situation re-examined. My ex would have only ended up paying a total of $350/mo for both kids if I didn't speak up. I saved my money and took him back to court. He now has to pay $500/mo for BOTH kids.

Considering he is a bum and should be homeless, he lives in his parents basement (26 years old), drives mommy/daddy's car, pays NO BILLS and borrows gas and cig money. I think he should pay what you are as he has no overhead as REAL adults do.

I do have sympathy for you living in a tiny little place. I was young when I had my children and if it weren't for my parents helping me out, we probably would have lived in a shelter. Until I met my husband who does bring home the bacon, I was pretty broke too. My bum don't pay his child support so it was up to me to provide 100% of everything. He's now been in jail 2 times in less than 4 months for nonpayment but they keep letting him go because his parents are stupid enough to pay for him to get out to do it all over agian.

I do have to commend you for being a man and taking care of your responsibilities. That guy earlier really p'd me off by saying you need to step up and be a man because you REALLY are. I can understand where his frustration comes from as I've been in those shoes but you do take care of your children.

Please do me a favor (and yourself), just take her butt back to court. Make things right for you and not for her. I really do sympathize with you. Hang in there and good luck!

#16 Consumer Suggestion

Take her to court...

AUTHOR: Marcie - (U.S.A.)

It sounds to me like you are doing everything a good father should do and still getting screwed. How often do you get to see your child with this hag of an ex-wife? She sounds like a real class act. My advice would be to take her a*s back to court and demand that they re-examine your financial situation AND hers to determine how much in support she is entitled to. If you can, maybe get your 2nd wife to speak on your behalf (if thats allowed) so that the courts can see that this isnt about you not wanting to pay support. This is about a lazy a*s woman who knows how to work the system and you're being punished for it.

If she's married, she cant hide the additional income and cry poverty. If she does, call the IRS on her a*s and get her where it counts. Hiding income is a no-no. I'd be interested to see how much this woman actually spends on this child, out of the support money. 'I dont have any kids, but I DO have friends that have been on both sides of the child support screwing. A friend of mine's husband pitched a real fit and STILL only pays support for one child, another male friend pays out the wazoo because his exwife is a creep.

You are doing the right thing by your kids that thats what's important, but it sounds to melike you have a good reason to have your support amount reexamined by the courts. Good Luck!

Re; Rebutal

AUTHOR: Joe - (Canada)

You are doing a fine job and keep it up, The guy who thinks he is god that rebuted you does not realize one thing that you guys have in common.

A woman has twisted the facts and a bias judicial system has let her get away with it, hell the justice system even supports this type of bully behavior towards men. Before god rebuts me I ask him this where is your child support, don't go and say some stuppid comment like I don't want her money either, simple as this she is a woman she don't pay plain and simple ehh, this is how you get screwed.

Now, the author of this report string, you are being sucked dry yet another way a woman is supported in the courts to ruin a man. I have two children and a beautifull wife now but life was not always so peachy, I know and understand what you guys are going through. since when does it cost 800 dollars a month to support a child, I would be happy with 150, 200 bucks buys school clothes and food all year long. 800 is excessive period so is 500 no child cost that much to raise unless the child needs special medical care(this cost should be divided equal), you did not mention this so I am assuming they are fine.

Don't fight each other guys take a good look at your situations and fight the bigger evil the judicial system that condones the sytamatic social destruction of men one way or another.

Get A life Idiot

AUTHOR: Paul - (U.S.A.)

First, I do not have any issue's paying child support, I have been paying since day one and I have never missed a payment! 2nd As for te medical insurance, the child lives out of my state and has coverage. Even if the state makes me pay to get a family coverage plan the chid would not benifit from the coverage. so I would just be paying an insurance company money just because.

Today I went to court and it was found that the request for the insurance coverage by the state was un-called for and even illegal,after I submit some paper work the insurance execution should be dropped.

As for stepping up, all I've done my entire life is step up. You need to get a life, I was venting, your being bitter. Who need's to be a man.And as for the money being used for a mortgage payment well, that is a complaint I recieved from the child being supported, as she is in need of clothing and other things that are not being provided from the money I pay!!!

I have a good relationship with my 2nd ex-spouse and she also get's her money and I have my son every weekend. You are the one who need's to be a man and stop being bitter because your ex-spouse left you high and dry with a child who need's extra attention. Get a life and get a better job shmuck.

#19 Consumer Suggestion

Sorry... No sympathy here.

If you can't afford children, you should have taken precautions so you didn't have them. It's kind of like crime: If you can't do the time, don't do the crime. Not only did you not learn this lesson after your first wife, but you did it again with your second.

As a man who has been a single father to a little boy with emotional and psychological issues, and have not received a dime in child support from the boy's biological mother, you won't get any sympathy from me.

You created a child, so that child is YOUR responsibility until s/he is 18 years old. How your ex-wife spends the money is not the issue. You say she has health insurance-- good on her, but that costs money too. By law the non-custodial parent is responsible for providing health insurance for the child, IN ADDITION to the regular child support.

How did she go from welfare to owning a home..? I don't know the details, but perhaps she married a good man who brings home the bacon..? Maybe she got her "stuff" together and is making something of herself... She could be a millionaire, but you still have a financial responsibility to that child.

#20 Consumer Suggestion