Complaint Review: Oak Creek Ranch School

• Submitted: Sat, June 20, 2009
  • Updated: Fri, March 23, 2012

• Reported By:Davis California
Oak Creek Ranch School
P.O. Box 4329 Sedona, Arizona U.S.A.

Oak Creek Ranch School They take your money and kick you and your kid to the curb Sedona Arizona

*General Comment: Head master Theif

*Consumer Comment: Oak Creek Ranch School: Changed My Life

*Consumer Comment: Please Read

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: Former Student?

*Consumer Comment: Inside perspective

*UPDATE Employee: Oak Creek Ranch School is not a rip-off!

This school has poor academics, cannot handle kids who have troubles or are badly behaved. There are some people it works for but is hungry for money and will take anyone who can write the check. They promise everything and deliver very little. All the things you send your kid there to get away from are rampant. Drugs, alcohol, etc. are available on a thriving black market there.

They expel kids who are causing trouble there sometimes (not much consistency). However, they seem to wait until the parents have paid the tuition prior to doing so. I was informed of my son's expulsion from someone who left a phone message telling me that (real professional) who was virtually giggling as he left his message.

Then they refuse to refund the tuition, with their only justification being that they can. When I asked for a refund Mr. Wick told me he would present my request to the Board of Directors but thought they might object. Sensing his insincerity I sent him an email several weeks later reminding him of our conversation and asking for contact info for board members so I might state my case directly to them. I never heard a word from him.

Bottom line, they will promise you anything to get your money (Mr. Wick told me "I guarantee if your son spends a year here his behavior will improve") and kick you to the curb if things don't work out. There is no exit plan, no recommendation, just a very unprofessional call telling you they want your kid out immediately. Your kid will get an inferior education there and be exposed to all the bad influences you worry about.

Phil
Davis, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 06/20/2009 09:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Oak-Creek-Ranch-School/Sedona-Arizona-86340-4329/Oak-Creek-Ranch-School-They-take-your-money-and-kick-you-and-your-kid-to-the-curb-Sedona-A-463359. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Oak Creek Ranch School

#1 General Comment

Head master Theif

AUTHOR: John Olin - ()

Do not believe what Wick will tell you .. Ask how many students were kicked out this semester alone 2013. My son was kicked out for eating peanut butter in cafeteria. and a staff member walked in . That staff is allergic to peanut butter.. My kid came within 10 feet of the staff in the cafeteria.. He was expelled then put in juvenile hall for 3 days.. This place is a total scam do not go there. If this is not made right by the school I will fight to prove to the DA and the media this place is a scam and a rip off.

My job enables me to work with law firms 5 days a week They are in a world of Sh*t..

Oak Creek Ranch School: Changed My Life

AUTHOR: Rich - (United States of America)

To whom it concerns,

I graduated from OCRS in 2005 and, while I understand that OCRS is not perfect, it is also not a "magic cure" for a teen, who is simply (for lack of a better way to put it) out of control (and/or beyond help). The student in question must desire to make adjustments to himself/herself in order for the quality education at OCRS to be effective.

Take me for instance; when I first arrived at OCRS in 2001 - I had no desire to do well scholastically, and I essentially was a "trouble maker." If I remember correctly, my highest grade at the school, which I previously attended, was within the C range. Moreover, I did things that I am not terribly proud of during my high school days, as I am sure the records at OCRS make evident. Nevertheless, by the time I walked off that campus for the last time in 2005, not only had I become a better person, but my academic performance had improved so drastically that I was awared Valedictorian of my class. I then went on to graduate Magna Cum Laude at Union College (#40 US News) majoring in Russisan and Eastern European Studies. I am currently finishing up my MA in Russian, Eastern European, and Eurasian Studies at the University of Texas at Austin, and I plan on going on to Law School next year (with the ultimate goal being a career in International Law). The point I am making here is simply: While OCRS lacks the ability to force the necessary choices on your child, it provides an exceptional environment, full of opprotunities and possibilities, where he or she can decide to do well.

To quote Shakespeare: "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves..."

I think the overly critical students and their parents need to take a good hard look at themselves before they cast the blame onto OCRS. Again, at the end of the day, it's the students who decide to succeed... nobody else. All OCRS can do is provide them with the opprotunity for success.

Sincerely,

-Richard J. Paikoff '05

Please Read

AUTHOR: helenaucoin - (United States of America)

In reading the negative comments and lies about the school posted here I honestly got sick to my stomach. I went to Oak Creek for my junior and senior year and would not be the person i am today without the help of that school. If you are sending your kid to oak creek because they are bad and you can deal with them, why would you expect a school who knows nothing about them to do the same. oak creek isn't for screw ups, it's for kids who just need a little push academically. the education i received there was amazing and the teachers were wonderful. sure the counselors were a little bridge and tunnel and yes some of them sold us cigarettes, and were promptly fired because of that. in all my time there i saw drugs on campus twice and both times everyone was drug tested and the supplier was found. all in all oak creek was the best place i've ever been too. i've deff. never heard of sweeps week and yeah the tuition is pricy, its privet boarding school, handle your kid yourself if you don't want to pay. please don't listen to the negative comments of poor parenting and fake students and really give this school a chance.

helen aucoin, new orleans la, 2009 graduate.

#4 REBUTTAL Owner of company

Former Student?

AUTHOR: David wick - (U.S.A.)

My name is David Wick, Jr. and I am responding to the accusations posted by a so-called former student. The supposed student did not provide his name, address or telephone number and so has no credibility.  He stated that drugs were easily gotten here from some personnel or my son.  These allegations are absolutely false.  In the first place, I have two sons ages 37 and 33.  Both are successful adults and live in Texas.  They haven't been on campus here for many years.  Secondly, I have never heard of "Sweeps Week".  That is simply not true.  Thirdly, we do not have a "smoking pavilion".  In fact smoking is not permitted on campus at all.  That includes faculty, staff, administrators or students.  My guess is that the comments were written by a disgruntled former employee or immature former student.  None of the allegations are true.  I invite any reader to visit our campus and see for yourself!  We have a great school!

Inside perspective

AUTHOR: Concerned Individual - (United States of America)

I am speaking as a graduate of Oak Creek Ranch school.

During my stay at OCRS, I have seen a lot of good, and a good deal of bad.

The authors accusations of tuition scamming is right on the money.  This was common knowledge on campus among the students that expulsions come right after parents renew there tuition's.  We called it "Sweeps Week".
e
Drugs were easily gotten on campus from the counselors in the after school program, and Mr. Wicks son who often visited!  However i did enjoy the school's instituted cigarette smoking pavilion.

Oak Creek Ranch School is not a rip-off!

AUTHOR: David Wick - (U.S.A.)

My name is David Wick and I am the Headmaster at Oak Creek Ranch School. I read Mr. Davis' report and would like to simply reply.

Oak Creek Ranch School is a private boarding school for underachieving, undermotivated teens and for teens diagnosed with ADD and ADHD. We are not a therapeutic school and are not equipped to work with kids who have more severe behavioral issues. With all enrollments parents are given a contract to read and sign. In bold letters it states that in the event a student leaves for any reason prior to the end of the school year, the entire tuition is due and payable and will not be refunded. Our budget is based upon enrollment. Parents read, sign and initial the agreement. Mr. Davis signed this agreement. If parents do not agree or wish to sign they are free to enroll their student in another school.

It is an extreme case when a student is expelled from Oak Creek and it does not happen often. The behavior must be very serious. Some examples are, bullying, drug or alcohol use, theft, fighting, destruction of property or continued disrespect of faculty and staff. In every case students are given every chance to change their behavior and are not expelled on the first offense. The exception is bringing drugs on campus and distribution to other students.

We are not in this business for the money. My father started this school to try to help kids and I continue this tradition. We are not 100% successful just as parents are not always 100% forthcoming regarding their children's behaviors. We do our best. Are there drugs on campus? Sometimes. We are no different than any other school in that we constantly fight this scourge. I think we do a good job and the incidence of drugs on campus here is much lower than on most other school campuses.

I have many parents who act as references for our school because of the work that we have done with their children and the success they are having. If anyone would like these references you can call me at (928) 634-5571. I will be more than pleased to answer your questions and tell you the truth about our school. Our website, www.ocrs.com, has a great deal of information for your review.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I know it's always more sensational to read about the rip-offs. When someone says a school is a rip-off, there is always another side to the story.

David Wick