Complaint Review: Ohio University

1 Ohio Univeristy Athens, Ohio USA

Ohio University Withdrawal Ripoff Athens Ohio

*Consumer Comment: comment

*Author of original report: Ohio University Rip Off

*Consumer Comment: What did you expect?

I withrdrew two days late from Ohio University and they still took my money.  I was a first time online student and only attended for two weeks.  When requesting to drop to my advisor he never mentioned I would lose all my money, that there would be no refunds.

What kind of University takes all your money for only attending two weeks?  There should be some kind of forigveness for a first time student who did not know the rules and was not advised by their advisor.  They are ripping people off!! $700 for only attending for two online sessions!

Additionally, while waiting for my appeal decison, they sent me to collections.  Even after I made a $100 payment so this wouldn't happen!!!

I am attending another Univeristy that treats it students as business professionals and does not rip you off.

STAY AWAY FROM OHIO UNIVERSITY!!!!!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/08/2014 10:42 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Ohio-University/Athens-Ohio-45701/Ohio-University-Withdrawal-Ripoff-Athens-Ohio-1168403. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Ohio University

AUTHOR: Jeanski - ()

I've worked in higher ed all my adult life so I can speak to this. Yes, the policy helps the University. Even a non-profit entity has to make enough money to cover expenses.

At what point would a "forgiveness policy" become a losing proposition for them? Should every first time student get a full refund because they didn't check the published academic calendar for relevent dates?  What if you were only three days past the published date? Their eCampus website has a link to "Important Dates" and the academic calendar. The information is there if you look for it.

Sorry, but this one is on you.

Ohio University Rip Off

AUTHOR: MadStudent - ()

Hmmm...Are you on the board at Ohio University?  Seems like this "policy" only helps Ohio University, not the student.  I don't want it both ways, I only missed the deadline by two days...not mentioned by anyone I spoke to.  This "policy" is very stringent and should be made aware before you enroll in any classes. I have a right to voice my opinion of this unfair policy and yes, I hope many prospective students see this before they have the misfortune of going through this themselves.

What did you expect?

AUTHOR: Crucible - ()

"  I withrdrew two days late from Ohio University and they still took my money.  "

The whole point of having a withdrawl deadline is that after the deadline, you have to pay for the class.  This is not rocket science.    Did you think you could withdraw at any time and get your money back?  Did you bother looking into the policy before withdrawing?

"   There should be some kind of forigveness for a first time student who did not know the rules and was not advised by their advisor.  "

In other words, you're pleading ignorance.   That usually doesn't work very well.  Good luck with your appeal and I hope the people making the decision do not happen across this report.   I think it would make them much less inclined to excuse your ignorance.   You've basically acknowledged that they are following their policy as written, yet calling the school a ripoff.   Can't have it both ways.