• Report: #203708

• Submitted: Mon, July 31, 2006
  • Updated: Sat, April 12, 2008

• Reported By:Montain View California
Olive Garden
9465 West Post Rd Las Vegas, Nevada U.S.A.

Olive Garden, Darden Co. Garden of Hell. Sexual harassment by managment, unprofessional managment. Palo Alto California

*UPDATE Employee: Fired because You were late not once, but three times!

*UPDATE Employee: you should have reported it to your regoinal vp

During the two years I worked for the restaurant Olive Garden, I experienced sexual harassment from two different managers. I was a part-time server while I was studying at the local junior college.

During the first year, one of the managers continuously asked for my number and actually gave me his to "spend some time" out of work. I never called him for I wasn't interested at all. I had co-workers who where offered to "have a date" with the same manager, but where very afraid to speak and being fired. Back then I was a shy teenager and I was very afraid of losing my job as well. During the same period, other manager continuously made comments about the size of my breasts. Eventually, both managers got fired. But sexual harassment for me and my co-workers didn't stop. Servers, bartenders, and kitchen crew used to harass female staff.

Also, it was well known by most of the kitchen workers that one of the "main" chefs was a drug dealer and was selling drugs at the end of his shift. This specific employee worked for Olive Garden for about 5 to 6 years. I am sure that at least one manager knew about this and never report it to the local authorities. After several months, I learn that one of the best chef's at this location was finally caught up by the cops. It is just hard to believe that so much corruption was going on in a branch of this type of restaurants located in such posh area: "Palo Alto", ten minutes away from Stanford University.

I would say working for Olive Garden was a torture for management and crew in general was extremely unprofessional. Managers would pick their favorite employees and form their little "mafia" if you were out of it; you were pretty much destined to be fired more sooner than later. For some reason managers were continuously fired and new ones were hired. Any kitchen employee would last longer than any manager. I have to mention the reason why I believe I got fired, although it might sound very stupid. The sexual harassment I experienced for over two years brought the jealousy of the culinary supervisor. The culinary supervisor was very upset because I was the target of all this unpleasant attention. She was acting rude, mean and bossy towards me. One night, I found her on my way while I was walking towards my car, after my shift. I asked her about the reason of her behavior, and she punched me on the face with her fist and said that we were out of the restaurant so she could do whatever she wanted to. I walked away, but right into my manager's office and filed a complain. Even before this incident happened I asked my managers to help me find a solution. The General Manager found my complain ambiguous and confusing, so he pretty much did nothing for me. Two months later, the manager who was sexually harassing me fired me because I was late for the third time in four months. I knew he really fired me for more than just that. In conclusion, it was a terrible experience for me to work with such people. It was a traumatizing experience, and I just wish for employees who work in this type of environment to speak up and quit. There are better jobs in much better places.

Anonymous
Montain View, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/31/2006 03:29 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Olive-Garden/Las-Vegas-Nevada-89148/Olive-Garden-Darden-Co-Garden-of-Hell-Sexual-harassment-by-managment-unprofessional-ma-203708. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Olive Garden

Fired because You were late not once, but three times!

AUTHOR: Jeffrey - (U.S.A.)

I read your caustic and exhausting report. For a college student your diction and grammar are very sub-par. I do not believe anything that you wrote, and obviously your manager did not either. You were fired for being late on three occasions, as you admitted yourself. Perhaps your acidic personality also may have contributed to this factor (by reading your post I can tell you are not a guest favorite). You are the one that has mentioned your female parts (breasts) as a factor - whatever, move on and shut it down! Darden is a huge corporation with many levels of mangers both in store and corporate to file complaints. I find it strange you were hit in the parking lot just because you mentioned you felt that you were violated by management. Keep in school, you need it.

you should have reported it to your regoinal vp

AUTHOR: Lucrecia - (U.S.A.)

darden has a strict "manager/ hourly employee fratinization" policy as well as a strict "no drug at work" policy. Check your employee handbook as it would have instructed you to contact your general manager or your regional vice president in regards to all of these situations and made a formal complaint through corporate channels.

I have had to file a complaint on one occassion and I can assure the corporate office takes complaints of these natures very seriously and they act very swiftly in finding a solution to the problem.

target