Complaint Review: On Rebate - Tiger Direct

• Submitted: Mon, January 30, 2006
  • Updated: Thu, February 02, 2006

• Reported By:Iowa City Iowa
On Rebate - Tiger Direct
PO Box 3028 Miami, Florida U.S.A.

OnRebate - TigerDirect Unresponsive customer service, failed to honor $300 worth of rebates, 5/7 rebates rejected for unknown reasons. ripoff Miami Florida

*Consumer Comment: TigerDirect uses Rebates to secure an order with NO intention of Honouring Rebate Process

I have been a customer of tigerdirect for over 3 years and have made over $2,000.00 in purchases from them but I have had difficulty receiving rebates they advertise. Onrebate.com handles many of Tigerdirect's advertised rebates and I have had less than a 30% success rate of getting rebates from this company. More recently I have purchased a laptop with $150.00 in rebates and a few hard drives and an mp3 player. They have rejected nearly every rebate saying that "Conflicting Data - Rebate information does not match Invoice." I provide them with the invoice TigerDirect provides me, so either Tigerdirect has misled me into buying products that don't have rebates, or OnRebate.com is trying to swindle me out of my rebate money.

Currently they have denied me over $340 in rebates that they advertised. TigerDirect is not a company I trust anymore after reading the BBB report on them I found that they are under an FTC court order monitoring them until 2019 for misleading warranty practices. If I could find more people with similar problems as I've had, I'd like to get a class action lawsuit in motion against OnRebate.com/TigerDirect Inc.

I have well documented my communication with the company. In December I called OnRebate.com about a rebate that was denied and the service representative told me that the UPC information wasn't updated in the system so the rebate was denied, but she fixed it for me. It is very inconvenient for me to have to call them to authorize my rebates everytime.

I just called them today 1/30/2006 at 12:40pm and I was on hold for 50 mins and then I was hung up on. As a last resort I am filing this report. I hope OnRebate.com uses this to help solve my issues as a customer and fix future flaws within their company. If anyone is interested in joining my class action lawsuit please contact me by using the rebuttal box below. Thanks.

Thomas
Iowa City, Iowa

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/30/2006 12:38 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/On-Rebate-Tiger-Direct/Miami-Florida-33144/OnRebate-TigerDirect-Unresponsive-customer-service-failed-to-honor-300-worth-of-rebate-173910. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on On Rebate - Tiger Direct

AUTHOR: Dana - (U.S.A.)

I have been a customer of TigerDiect for many years. I have received no more than 25% of the rebates I have applied for. Either the rebate is ignored or the rebate is rejected. Usually the rebate is rejected due to "Postmark not within dates required". I am very conscientious of mailing rebates in promptly but this doesn't matter.

Even though we all realize most of the rebates offered are by the manufacturers and not TigerDirect, the manner in which TigerDirect gives the purchaser information that is required by the manufacturers and the convoluted instructions supplied, implies that there may be collusion between the manufacturers and TigerDiect to reduce the amount of Rebates successfully processed. This may be an informal understanding between the two similar to the understanding between the heads of the major oil companies not to lower gas prices.

Recently TigerDirect has implemented a Guarantee that Rebates will be honoured. This is probably a response to the number of unsatisfied customers that have not received their rebates. To utilize this so-called guarantee, you need to secure a US Post Office proof of mailing certificate. That can amount to an hour or more of time travelling to and from the Post Office and standing in line. My feeling is this "Guarantee" was structured so that the purchaser is not expected to read the fine print. The purchaser will buy the product without realizing the impossibly of complying to the Guarantees parameters. By the way, my first attempt to use the TigerDirect Guarantee was ignored and never responded to!! How is that for icing on the cake?