Complaint Review: one guard home warranty

• Submitted: Mon, January 28, 2013
  • Updated: Thu, February 14, 2013

• Reported By: Jerry — Phoenix Arizona United States of America
one guard home warranty
2325 West Utopia Rd Phoenix, Arizona United States of America

one guard home warranty Service One home warranty Simple Claim Denied on Pool Filter and Equipment Phoenix, Arizona

*Author of original report: What does that mean?

*UPDATE Employee: Misunderstanding

*Author of original report: Contract

*UPDATE Employee: OneGuard Response

*Author of original report: Ripped off and now misrepresented

*UPDATE Employee: OneGuard Response

Its hard to be objective when a claim that should have been covered was denied and no effort was put in on their part to get a 2nd opinion.

To be fair, Ive had this company on one home for 7 years, they covered 1 out of 3 claims, and I saw their point on the 2 they denied.

On my new home (20 yrs old), Ive had 3 claims, 2 were covered, and 1 denied. It is this 3rd denial that caused my opinion of the company to change.

It was a simple claim, I purchased the new home plan which covers pre-existing conditions, and added coverage for the pool equipment. A home inspection showed no issues with the pool equipment, and the pool was sparkling clear. I had the previous owner show me how to backwash the DE filter, and did significant online reading about the maintenance of said filter. This pool was also on a maintenance contract with a local maintenance company with the previous owners, that I continued. I had backwashed the filter extra times, trying to get a feel to the normal pressures etc which never exceeded about 20 lbs. Max pressure on this filter is stated in the manual as 50 lbs.

One Saturday Morning I backwashed the filter again, and prepared to add DE back to the skimmer. As soon as I turned on the pump, the clamp failed and the filter split at the joint (water everywhere). It needed a new clamp, about a $250 part, and perhaps other minor parts inside since the filter was 7 years old I think.

It took them 13 days to finally let me know that it wasnt covered due to lack of maintenance. This conclusion based on a 1-man pool companies opinion, this guy could be older than 25. I asked repeatedly for a 2nd opinion, supervisor, etc, but that fell on deaf ears. During that call I was repeatedly reminded that if I didnt have it repaired myself in a workman like manner, none of the pool equipment would be covered.

I feel like the co pay of $55 will get you a simple repair from their contracted folks, but as soon as they have to start paying above and beyond that co pay, they error on the side of not paying. My other 2 claims they did cover were very simple, washing machine that didnt drain (drain clog), and blower fan on air handler (maybe $150).

I will BBB report them, and small claims eventually, but I bought the warrantee for peace of mind in my new home purchase. Definitely more stress than I wanted.

The company I hired to fix the pool filter to a workman like manner recommended replacing the aged filter, and pump (reasons too lengthy), and some valves that were broken and/or leaking. All these things are supposedly covered by the warrantee.

Im sure they cover some claims, they have to, but they sure denied this potentially expensive one, and that is the one I needed covered.

For example, my dishwasher handle wasnt opening the dishwasher. After fiddling with it for awhile, I got the door opened, and took the panel off to see if it was something I could fix. Sure enough, a few web searches found the part I needed and a local place sold it for $30. Repair took all of 15 minutes, and didnt have to pay the $55 co pay. Just an example of something they probably would have covered, but I fixed it the same day, and cheaper.

I know for a fact that they are using a one man shop for their pool work. I dont know for a fact, but suspect this person is somehow related to the owners. If so, very much a conflict of interest.

Now the A/C company they sent was more than a one-man shop, but have no idea how many employees or if there is a conflict there, they did do the repair, but not before warning us that it may not be covered.

Good luck, I hope everyone figures out the magic formula that allows a home owner to actually be secure in knowing that their claims will be covered, and in a timely fashion.

By the way for those of you with a legitimate claim, I suspect that small claims will find in our favor, and once you have a case number, please post those here and on the BBB website. Currently the BBB site says all claims have been resolved. I dont know what that means, but if you post a case# that you won, well know how it was resolved and may be able to look up the case data online. Thanks for sharing!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/28/2013 08:02 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/one-guard-home-warranty/Phoenix-Arizona-85027/one-guard-home-warranty-Service-One-home-warranty-Simple-Claim-Denied-on-Pool-Filter-and-E-1004634. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on one guard home warranty

What does that mean?

AUTHOR: Jerry - (United States of America)

So, does your last rebuttal mean your going to reimburse me for my repair expenses?

No inspection would have looked inside of a filter, nor taken the nut off to inspect for wear.  Besides, if you require a oneguard inspection to cover anything, then you should do one before accepting a contract.

Misunderstanding

AUTHOR: OneGuard Home Warranties - (United States of America)

We are so sorry! It sounds like we're dealing with an issue that's rooted in a simple understanding. We're very sorry we didn't realize this earlier or we would have immediately provided clarification in hopes of saving you the time and aggravation.

You see "No Fault" coverage means we cover for "Unknown" pre-existing conditions including pre-existing rust and corrosion problems, insufficiently maintained equipment, improper installation or repairs and mismatched systems so long as the mechanical failure was not known, would not have been detectable by a state certified home inspection or OneGuard mechanical inspection, and was not caused by the contract holder. This coverage is not intended to take responsibility for normal maintenance and proper use of equipment by the contractor holder. The contract hold must have all known pre-existing defects correctly repaired by a service professional and deliver to OneGuard any paid invoices evidencing the repairs before the defective item can be covered.

Contract

AUTHOR: Jerry - (United States of America)

Thanks for posting those pictures of the internal part of the filter with the pre-existing conditions!  Remember, I've only owned the house for 1 month at the time of failure.

Contract
A. AZ Guardian Coverage
1. No Fault Coverage
Covered: 1) insufficiently maintained systems, 2) rust or corrosion, 3) mismatched systems, and 4) improper installation or repair so long as the failure was not known, etc, etc, etc.

Note: The No Fault Coverage is intended to cover unknown pre-existing conditions caused by the previous owner.

Come on!  This is the very first paragraph in the contract.

OneGuard Response

AUTHOR: OneGuard Home Warranties - (United States of America)

All of the information that we provided is 100% true and accurate.

OneGuard Home Warranties

Ripped off and now misrepresented

AUTHOR: Jerry - (United States of America)

First off, I wouldn't have filed a rip-off report if ANY attempts at resolution had worked.  Most of this companies response are totally incorrect and not factual, I'll address one by one.

Partially Dissasembled - It blew apart due to the worn out clamp, and starting surge of the pump.  I cleaned it up thinking I would repair it myself until I realized it was the failed clamp.

Screen Crushed - Their conclusion was this only happens upon high pressure.  Fact, dropping it on the screen could also crush it, AND it could have been crushed during the 10 years it was in operation BEFORE I bought the house.  Conclusion - Valid Claim!  No attempt at getting a 2nd opinion were offered, THIS is the main reason they denied the claim.

Build-up Around Filter - Lie, there was no build-up, the filter didn't leak before the explosion, there is no abnormal build-up, and this topic was never mentioned or talked about with me.  In fact, there was no written report of any kind provided as to their findings.

Band Clamp Screw stripped - True, brass nut stripped on it way flying off the bolt during the explosion.

Replumbed Salt Cell - Lie, a pool maintenance company replumbed it, not me, they tested the system and it was working perfectly only 5 days before the explosion.  Also, it was replumbed NOT due to pressure, but because it was in the wrong place in the plumbing, moving it didn't change anything, and the pressures were always well within spec.

Had been Leaking from the band clamp - Lie, never said that and nothing was leaking since I purchased the home.

Attempted to tighten - Lie, I didn't, and we never discussed this.

Anything wrong with this filter had to exist before I purchased the home, comon sense dictates that a brass nut that is 10 years old, and is required to be removed and replaced and tightened as part of the normal maintenance schedule is a "wear" item and may eventually need to be replaced.

They claim that their customer service is their top priority, but I can assure you that there was no way I could have convinced the person who called to deny  my claim to get any other opinion than this one-man pool company provided.  His conclusion is flat out wrong, and they certainly wanted to accept his and only his conclusion.

Again, to be fair, this company has performed on some other claims, I've been a customer for awhile now, but in the area of claim denials, I really think some improvment is needed.  A next-level manager or someone with some technical experience and decision making ability should really meet with the homeowner and go over a written report of the basis for denial, and be open to other professional opinions.

FACTS - New Home Purchase with pre-existing condition coverage, Pool Equipment (Pump, Filter, Heater, Valves) additional coverage added.  Backwashed during home inspection and again before the incident.  Professional Pool Maintenance company re-plumbs the Salt Cell and tests/certifies system is functioning properly.  Five days later, after being in the home only 1-2 months, and the filter explodes immediately after a backwash.  NOT due to excessive pressure, but to a failed or weak brass nut on a 10 year old clamp.

You tell me if they should have fixed this.

OneGuard Response

AUTHOR: OneGuard Home Warranties - (United States of America)

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about the service experiences you have had with OneGuard. The customer experience is of the utmost importance to OneGuard; and since its our mission is to make homeownership a little bit easier, we never want to add to the stress that comes

from unexpected breakdowns. We regret that you are not satisfied with our company, and sincerely hope the following will help clarify the details related to your claim.

We carefully and thoroughly review every claim; each case is handled independently and repair or replacement authorization is provided based upon selected coverage, the condition of the item(s), and our contractors professional diagnosis of the cause and nature of the breakdown. We have never sought-out a means by which to deny any claim, nor have we ever denied a claim out-of-hand or without significant evidence. In fact, over 97% of every claim that is submitted by our customers is covered. Your assertion that we denied your pool repair due to its cost is baseless and wholly inaccurate. In point of fact, your claim was denied based upon the facts related to the condition of the equipment, our contractors diagnosis, and the cause of the breakdown, in accordance with our residential service agreement.

Following receipt of your complaint, members of our team performed an independent review of your case, including the original claim, all correspondence, photographs, telephone calls and other materials. Our findings are as follows: Upon arrival at your home, our contractor noted that the pool filter had been partially disassembled. Upon further inspection, the contractor noted that the screen on the top manifold was completely crushed, which only occurs when the filter is under very high pressure.  Furthermore, there was build-up around the bottom of the filter indicating that it had been leaking.  Finally, the contractor noticed that the band clamp screw was stripped.

As a result, the contractor determined that the failure was not caused by normal wear-and-tear. Before contacting us, the contractor discussed his findings with you.  At that time, you mentioned to him that you recently re-plumbed the salt cell because the system was experiencing high pressure.  Furthermore, you also mentioned to the contractor that the filter had been leaking from the band clamp and that you attempted to tighten it but stripped the bolt to the band clamp in the process.  Thus, the contractor not only based his conclusion on his professional opinion, but also upon the conversation he had with you.  The contractor then provided OneGuard with his professional diagnosis and photographs of the equipment.

Thus, our decision to deny your claim was based solely upon the contractors professional diagnosis, the remarks you made to him at the time of the diagnosis, and an internal review of photographs which clearly indicated that the system had not been properly maintained, and had been disassembled prior to the contractors arrival. There is simply no doubt that your pool system failed due to lack of prudent care and proper maintenance, and not due to normal wear-and-tear. Further, disassembly of the system caused it to be in a state inconsistent with both proper operation, and its presumed condition upon initiation of the service contract. Thus, there are two reasons why it is not possible for OneGuard to cover the equipment, and our denial was made in accordance with our contractual obligations.

A home warranty provides coverage for certain mechanical systems that breakdown due to normal wear-and-tear. When maintenance is required or recommended by the manufacturer, it is expected that the homeowner will perform such maintenance or otherwise ensure that the necessary maintenance is completed. We cannot provide coverage for issues arising from disassembly, nor can we provide coverage for breakdowns resulting from lack-of-maintenance. These limitations are detailed in our residential service agreement.

While we understand and agree that there are rare occasions when a second opinion is warranted, we have evaluated your claim and find that this particular situation does not merit additional investigation

because the photographic evidence is so clear. The pool contractor that was sent to your home has worked for OneGuard for over 10 years and has a tremendous amount of experience in the pool industry. OneGuard reserves the right to secure a second opinion if we feel there is anything lacking in the diagnosis provided by a prior service professional, or if there was anything with which the original contractor was unfamiliar. In your case, we know that the technician who provided the diagnosis is familiar with your type of pool equipment, and the photographic evidence supports his assessment.

Your assertion that our pool contractor is somehow related to the owners [of OneGuard], is simply absurd. No conflict of interest exists between OneGuard and our contractor, and our professional standards would never allow such a conflict to arise. OneGuard has been in business well over 20 years and employs only reputable contractors who meet our high standards of excellence and pass our rigorous evaluation process. Our goal is to provide excellent service to all our customers. It doesnt matter to us if the contractor is a one man shop or a large business that employs several technicians.  What matters to OneGuard is their reputation, knowledge of their specific trade, and professionalism to do a great job for our customers that they service.

Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. At OneGuard, we genuinely value your business and we appreciate your feedback.