• Submitted: Wed, July 21, 2004
  • Updated: Sat, July 23, 2005

• Reported By:Sch Haven Pennsylvania
RT. 61 N. HAMBURG, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: A response from James Outten of Outten County Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep

We bought a brand new 2003 Dodge Neon from County Chrysler in Hamburg Pennsylvania. The dealership in now called 'Outten County Chrysler'. They took us and took us real good.

We had never had a brand new car before. They sold us all the extras like extended warrenty,warrenty if the car is totaled, paint sealant warrenty for an extra $500 and a very high interist rate. I had asked this question before I signed,[Should I move out of state will all these extras be upheld?]? I was told by the gentleman in finance that I can go to any Chrysler dealership in the United States and the extras would be honored. This is NOT true.

After having this Neon (1) year we were thinking about trading it in on a truck. One Sunday we went to the dealership to look at cars. In the door of a $25,000.00 car were the set of keys! I took the keys home and returned the next day. I thought what if some kids saw the keys or the car could be chopped up in a few hours at a chop shop if the wrong type of people found them in the door. I asked for the owner of the dealership. This snotty youg guy comes out to me. I told him what happened and what I did. He looked me in the eye and said,[No big deal, It happens all the time!] and barely thanked me for bringing the keys back. I was so insulted after I bought a new car from this dealership, took my time to bring the keys back and I was not even offered a free $20 oil change.

It gets better! Then I make an appointment for the normal oil change & inspection. Call to confirm the appointment and there is NO record of me calling. I make another appointment and wait 2-1/2 hours for an inspection and oil change that should take no more than 45 minets. I then make an appointment for the 1st treatment of the paint sealant that I paid an extra $500.00 for, to be done once every (4) years.

When I arrived for the appointment I spoke with the service manager Jeremy Miller and told him that would like to speak with the owner of the dealership Wille Outten. I had already Emailed the Chrysler Corporation and they told me all the dealerships are privately owned and strongly suggested that I speak only with the owner Wille Outten regarding finding the keys in the $25,000 car on a Sunday and how I was treated after bring them back. I was told at the dealership that Willie Outten in NOT the owner and they would only take my name and number. They told me Willie's SON runs the place. I then questioned the service manager Jeremy Miller (who is another young white male with an attitude) about why I waited 2-1/2 hours for an inspection and oil change. He told me that was about the correct wait time.

I told him that I have delt with the same repair man for 12 years who worked on my cars and I know how long it takes to change the oil and do the inspection is on a Brand New Car. This service manager Jeremy Miller got so nasty infront of all the other customers and staff in the room. He came from behind the counter and I really thought that he was going to hit me, as he came right up to my face. At that point I left the dealership telling all the customers in the lot NEVER buy a car here! I never had the paint sealant done that day.

Why I am mainly writing this is,I called (3) other Chrysler dealers in my area because I will never go back to Outten County Chrysler. I want to have the Paint Sealant done that I paid $500 extra for when we bought the car. I was told by the (3) other dealers that the paint sealant package that was sold to me was something that the Outten County Chrysler dealership sold and it can only be honored at their dealership. The $500 for this paint sealant was financed through Chrysler and is listed on paper work that I have.

So I called Outten County Chrysler to ask if I can cancel this $500 paint sealant. I was told NO! I asked, if a customer opts for the paint sealant and then 6 months later moves out of state, then they are out of luck? The man in finance told me,[Thats Right!]. Is this right? If a company sellers you a service that they never preform and you want a refund, dont they have to refund your money off the balance due on the car? I have read in the paper work from the car dealer that you can cancel the extended warrenty and the amount would be prorated off of the balance.

The facts with this dealership are,[They treated us nice until we signed on the dotted line. Then they made the sale, got their Money from Chrysler and they could care less if 'we' the customer ever comes back. I would say, Never ever buy a car from Outten County Chrysler in Hamburg PA. These people treated us like scum after we bought and seem to be proud of it. I sent a letter to the Oprah show. I hope she does a show about these low class ~ no class car dealers and the dogs that work for them. I would love to see the Wonderful man from Outten County Chrysler on the Oprah show, telling Oprah, Heck Yea, We leave the keys in the doors of our brand new cars on the weekends and it happens all the time AND its No Big Deal!!!!

Sch Haven, Pennsylvania

Click here to read other Rip Off Reports on Chrysler & Chrysler Products

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/21/2004 12:01 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/OUTTEN-COUNTY-CHRYSLER/HAMBURG-Pennsylvania-19526/OUTTEN-COUNTY-CHRYSLER-RIP-OFF-MONEY-TAKERS-LIERS-SCUM-BLOOD-SUCKERS-CAR-DEALER-HAMBURG-Pe-99923. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on OUTTEN COUNTY CHRYSLER

#1 REBUTTAL Owner of company

A response from James Outten of Outten County Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep

AUTHOR: James - (U.S.A.)

Thank you for taking the time to read my response to these criticisms of my company, Outten County Chrysler. I am James Outten, the General Manager and partner-owner of the dealership. Outten County Chrysler is the regions premiere Five Star accredited dealership and is consistently the #1 new Chrysler sales leader in the region because we treat our customers with utmost respect and professional treatment. Outten employs a very stable and knowledgable team of sales professionals of which most have been with the company for many years. Our customer satisfaction ratings consistenly exceed the highest standards set by the manufacturer in both sales and service.

In addressing Ed's complaint I will first clarify that Ed did not purchase his vehicle from Outten. He purchased his vehicle from the previous owners of "County Chrysler"which no longer exists as a corporation. However I can assure Ed that the "extra's" he purchased on his Neon were in fact an option at his discretion. Extended Warranties are honored at other dealerships. If another dealer refused to accept Ed's warranty, that dealer is turning away authentic warranty work and Ed should take up that concern with the owner of that dealership. Paint Sealant warranty claims can be made to the claim phone number found on Ed's original paperwork copies. Paint sealant re-application must be done at the original dealership. Lastly interest rate charges are a factor of personal credit history and are provided by the lending institutions, not Outten County Chrysler.

I am very grateful that Ed found and returned keys to a parked vehicle. This does not happen often. During a busy Saturday sale it is possible for us to miss a key and Ed's actions are greatly appreciated, however I do not personally feel that Ed deserves a financial reward for performing a nice gesture. Our lot is gated and locked to prevent a vehicle from leaving while unattended. This is a small town where people take care of each other without the expectation of financial rewards.

I do not have enough information to address Ed's concerns about waiting an excessive period of time for a service appointment. However, as of July 23, 2005 Ed's vehicle has visited our service department on four occasions, the last being only 10 days ago for an oil change, tire rotation, wash/vac, and state inspection. I can only assume that Ed has since been satisfied with Outten service since the vehicle is returning consistently for regular maintenance.

When Ed asked to speak with Willie Outten he was asked to leave a message. This is regular practice here as Willie does not maintain regular office hours at this location. He does however recieve any messages left for him. I, James Outten, am the dealer operator at this dealership and it is my responsibiliy to address and resolve customer concerns. That is why he was redirected to speak directly with me. I have never been personally contacted by Ed.

The service manager Jeremy Miller is a professional who does not get "nasty" in front of customers or get in customer's faces. Again, our service satisfaction scores consistently exceed the manufacturer's highest standards.

I appreciate Ed's concern that the Paint Sealant must be re-applied for the warranty to be valid. He is correct when he states that if a person is to move and not re-apply the formula, the warranty expires. However, he purchased this product from the previous owners of the dealership. I do not sell the product Ed purchased. My paint sealant is a one time application. I cannot change Ed's paint sealant or warranty that he purchased from the previous ownership of this dealership.

Again, Thank You for taking the time to read my response. I welcome any customer or prospective customer to always and at any time call me personally to further discuss this report or to dicsuss any aspect of the car business. We work very hard at all the Outten Dealerships to exceed all customer's expectations. Thanks!

James Outten