Complaint Review: Paws & Claws Animal Hospital

• Updated: Wed, July 16, 2014

• Reported By: Anonymous — Plano Texas
Paws & Claws Animal Hospital
2145 W Park Blvd Plano, Texas USA

Paws & Claws Animal Hospital This guy's running the biggest scam EVER Plano Texas

*Author of original report: The good doctor is lying

*REBUTTAL Owner of company: The facts don't match the complaint

Dr. Messonnier price gouged us on prescription medications. Our 15 yr old cat was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. He prescribed methimazole AND supplements. For the first bottle of methimazole, one ounce, 5mg/ml, 30 day supply, he charged $62. Dr. Messonnier picked it up at the neighborhood pharmacy and we "purchased" it from HIM.

For the second bottle, two ounces, 60 day supply, he charged us $139.70. Once we found out what pharmacy was being used, we made an inquiry at the pharmacy and were told that the first bottle cost is actually $30.65 (he marked it up 100% or $31) and the second's actual cost is $63.60 (he marked it up 120% or $76). His office manager tells us, unapologetically, That's the price of doing business with us. Oh really? We've NEVER had any other veterinarian do this to us.

Then there were the first two supplements he sold us. Both are Heel products. He charged $30 for one, one-ounce bottle (tablets mixed in water) and $20 for the other. A total of $50 for one ounce each. Checking online, both those Heel products are sold 100 tabs to a bottle at around $25 per bottle and they'd last a LOT longer than what he sold us (we estimate a 4-5 times markup). Then the latest supplement we purchased (for possible bladder/urinary health) was $24.75. Again, a bottle of the same Heel product, 100 tabs, can be purchased online for the same amount and last a lot longer.

After we complained to his office, he then had the NERVE to send us a letter saying he could no longer treat our pets. Wanna know why? Because we caught on to his SCAM of a practice and he didn't want us around anymore. Well, take THIS, "Doctor".  We now buy our cat's methimazole at a REPUTABLE veterinary practice for:  200 tablets for $33.60.  Try buying it for that at Paws and Claws.  You can't!

Run, don't walk away from this money-grubbing so-called vet.  Other bad reviews for him on Yelp.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/17/2013 05:32 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Paws-Claws-Animal-Hospital/Plano-Texas-75075/Paws-Claws-Animal-Hospital-This-guys-running-the-biggest-scam-EVER-Plano-Texas-1051810. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Paws & Claws Animal Hospital

The good doctor is lying

AUTHOR: Anonymous - ()

I am NOT lying about what Shawn Messonnier charged for the medications for my cat and i was NOT told that I could purchase it cheaper myself any where else.  That's a total lie.  What other vets buys the meds somewhere and then turns around and RE-SELLS it to a client, UPPING the price??  It IS a total scam, putting more money in HIS pocket.  And I am also not lying about what he charged me for the medications.  The vet I go to now charges only $17 for a bottle of Methimazol.

I ALWAYS take good care of my cat and give him preventative care.  He hasn't lived to be NOW 18 without good medical care and being intuned to him and his health.  When I realized something was wrong with him - which turned out to be his thyroid problem, I promptly took him to the good Dr Messonnier.  But afte this scam, I left.  And then HE had the nerve to send ME a letter, telling me he would no more take care of my cat.  What a joke.  I already decided to NEVER go back.  This was his way of saying he didn't want me because I uncovered his scam.

Go there if you want, and good luck.  You'll be encouraged to buy all kinds of homeopathic stuff that is high dollar and and that also pads his pockets.

#2 REBUTTAL Owner of company

The facts don't match the complaint

AUTHOR: Dr. Shawn - ()

The facts of this case totally refute the opinion of the person wriing the complaint. First, all clients are given the opportunity to purchase medication elsewhere (many of our clients choose this option to save money.) Second, the prices quoted in the complaint are factually inaccurate (not sure where this person came up with the pricing since our costs are considerably higher than those quoted and our standard markups are lower and within industry standards.) The liquids we prepared include our own formulations of ingredients not available elsewhere. Finally, this particular client always complained about having to retest her cat for its diseases, something we are legally obligated to do (and since her cat was always fractious at our hospital and could not be controlled by the owner, it required anesthesia in order to do a proper exam and draw blood, which resulted in additional expenses not typical of most pets.) In reviewing the pet's record it is apparent that the owner did not keep up with necessary preventive care as the owner did not want to spend the money on the pet's care (and likely will eventually find most doctors "too expensive.")