Complaint Review: Payless Car Rental

• Updated: Wed, December 04, 2013

• Reported By: Change Agent — Atlanta Georgia
Payless Car Rental
4310 Global Gateway Connector Atlanta, Georgia USA

Payless Car Rental Payless Means Less Service and Less Truthfullness Atlanta Georgia

I rented a "dented" minivan from the Atlanta Airport Payless Car Rental location on Wednesday before Thankgiving. My rate was $99 per day. I returned the vehicle two days later, on Friday, at about the same time. When I pulled in the airport to return the vehicle, the rental guy didn't log the time. He simply checked the miles and gas usage, wrote it on a ticket, and then he told me to go upstairs to "close out my bill."  While at the counter, the customer service rep had a difficult time closing out my bill (I think she was new on the job). It took her almost 15 minutes and the assistance of several other people from other rental companies (all the different company counters are next to each other at the airport) to finally get this done. The clincher? The company logged the time I brought the van back at the time this woman finshed closing out my bill, not at the time I actually brought the van back!

Once the CSR (customer service rep) closed my account out, she told me that I was only getting back $82.00 of the $533.00 that was put on hold. My final bill was $450.58 for three days, no longer two days. I inquired why and she explained that the system had charged me for another day (a third day) at a higher rate because I brought the van back 1.5 hours late!!! (Keep in mind, I even had to stand in line to wait until the CSR got to me, and that time was not considered either.) Furious, I asked for the manager, who she explained wouldn’t be in until Monday, so there was nothing she could do. At my insistence, she contacted someone by phone who told me she was the manager. I explained the situation to this person, but instead of reassuring and/or calming me down, she ignited the conversation by yelling snide remarks, speaking to me like a child and then saying she would pull the camera footage at the desk to determine the time I had actually gotten the car and arrived upon return. Between "the manager's" nasty attitude and the CSRs lack of training at the desk, this situation really got out of control. Moreover, me getting charged for an entire day for being an hour late rather than a pro-rated amount is truly ridiculous. None of this was stated in writing on my rental agreement nor was this explained to me.

I took a chance with this small company and got burned in terms of price and customer service. In an attempt for this company to rectify the situation, I wrote a complaint via their company website on the very day this occurred. I got a response on the following Wednesday, almost one week later, stating an obvious lie. Here is just part of the response:

"We've reviewed the transaction, and our investigation has determined that you had called the location, and requested a rental extension. You were told on the phone that you could extend your rental period, but that the rate for the additional day would be different. You agreed to the charge while on the phone. However, upon return of the vehicle, you disputed this charge with the counter, and the manager. You requested that the additional day be waived, and the manager declined to do so."

This is such a bold-faced lie that I could hardly contain myself while reading it. I never called for an extension of any kind, and the manager never said anything to me except yell and demean me for questioning the charges.

Please think twice before using this company. They are unprofessional and dishonest.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/04/2013 07:11 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Payless-Car-Rental/Atlanta-Georgia-30337/Payless-Car-Rental-Payless-Means-Less-Service-and-Less-Truthfullness-Atlanta-Georgia-1104454. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Payless Car Rental