Complaint Review: Penn Credit

• Reported By: H Koplow — Maryland
Penn Credit
916 S 14th Harrisburg , Pennsylvania USA

Penn Credit robo-call debt collector Harrisburg Pennsylvania

Penn Credit anonymously called me and asked me to pay a $70 alleged debt.  I was instructed to press an option to pay by credit card.  They did not identify the owner of the alleged debt.  It was so vague, I thought it was a scam.

I did some research on the toll-free # in the automated call and learned that it was Penn Credit.  I wrote to Richard Templin, the President.  He never even bothered to investigate.  He never validated the debt, as he is required to do by the FDCPA.

I learned that Penn Credit has a contract with Maryland.  I contacted Maryland State gov't.  They contacted Penn on my behalf and informed me that I DO NOT have a tax debt and Penn would not bother me again!

Penn never even apologized.

Trying to collect nonexistent accunts seems to be a common complaint against Penn.  I wonder how many people feel intimidated and actually pay Penn's bogus "debts."  I searched online and found nine people in the US who have sued Penn, four within the past three months (since Nov 2013).  I'm thinking of trying to form a class action.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/17/2014 05:57 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Penn-Credit/Harrisburg-Pennsylvania-17104/Penn-Credit-robo-call-debt-collector-Harrisburg-Pennsylvania-1124090. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Penn Credit