Complaint Review: peoplesmart.com

• Updated: Tue, July 22, 2014

• Reported By: Small law firm — Manchester Center Vermont
Internet USA

peoplesmart.com Deceptive advertising Internet

I am a lawyer in a small law firm.  I needed to find a client I had lost touch with.  I started with Google and ended up with a link to PeopleSmart.  From what I read, I would be charged $0.95 for my inquiry and have 1 month unlimited search for free.  However, there was also some conflicting mention of needing to cancel within 7 days.  So after I got my information, I went back on and attempted to cancel my membership.  The directions were confusing, but I thought I had cancelled any account.

Several months later I discovered that People Smart had been automatically withdrawing a monthly membership fee of $19.95 using my credit card.  I immediately went on and again attempted to cancel my membership.  Again it was confusing, so I followed up with a letter and also asked for my money back.  I got an email response to my letter and an email acknowledging my cancellation at exactly the same time several days later.  (Makes me wonder if my account would have been cancelled if I hadn't also written.)

Predictably, they are refusing to refund any money.  They claim that all I did with my first cancellation is remove my credit card, but that doing that doesn't cancel a membership.  Really?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/22/2014 10:07 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/peoplesmartcom/internet/peoplesmartcom-Deceptive-advertising-Internet-1164033. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on peoplesmart.com