occurring

Complaint Review: Pep Boys

• Submitted: Sat, December 15, 2012
  • Updated: Sun, December 23, 2012

• Reported By: Mike Hardaker Editor & Publisher — California United States of America
Pep Boys
4645 E Pacific Coast Hwy Long Beach, California United States of America

Pep Boys Recommended service that was NOT needed, left truck without OIL... Long Beach, California

*Consumer Comment: Pep Boys is Terrible!

*Author of original report: In Response to the comment

*Consumer Comment: Pep Boys do suck,but your story is BOGUS.

Josh - Assistant Manager, I took my Bronco in for an oil change and to have the Brake pads replaced. I received a call from the assistant manager saying they would not be able to work on my brake pads as "the rear brake is about to fall off" was severely rusted. That I would need to replace the brakes, bolts, nuts, springs etc.  For a total cost of $1200.

When I went to pickup my vehicle, the receipt showed 10W30 oil, I always used 5W30 as I live in the mountains with cold temps. I asked from 5W30 and was upset that the wrong oil was used.  There was NO sticker inside the vehicle to show the oil change had taken place.
Josh assured me he would take care of it.  This is where the story gets worse.....

When I went to pickup my vehicle we had been double charged for the oil change, no big deal I saw it on the receipt and Josh was able to refund the price.  He told me "you sure know a lot about motor oil" I have a witness that was with me, I thought nothing of this and took my car home.
The next day I went to a Brake specialist and was told my rear brakes were fine, no rust, no damage.  He replaces everything did all the work for $300.

I figured I should check my oil just in case, turns out it was EMPTY.  Completely drained..... The day I left to drive from California to Wyoming.

Josh told us her personally grabbed the 5w30 oil, now I believe he purposely and maliciously had the mechanic not put any oil in my truck.  How on earth were 2 oil changes done. One with 10w30 and one with 5w30 and less then 24 hours later the truck has no oil.....

I called to complain and have not heard back.  My truck could have exploded on the road not to mention the upselling of parts and labor that was not needed.

So how is Pep Boys going to resolve this issue?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/15/2012 03:46 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pep-Boys/Long-Beach-California-/Pep-Boys-Recommended-service-that-was-NOT-needed-left-truck-without-OIL-Long-Beach-982601. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pep Boys

Pep Boys is Terrible!

AUTHOR: E&T - ()

They are scam artists of the worst kind. I believe this story happened as well as all the others. Several years ago, they tried to charge me over two thousand dollars for unnecessary work to my car. I was just 18, in school and had a part time job. I was so upset, I cried because I thought I was screwed and I would not have a vehicle to get to work or class because I couldn't afford it. But after I calmed down, it didn't sound right to me so I told my dad.

My dad was furious and told them not to work on it and leave the car alone. We took it to a small, locally owned repair shop and they told me all I needed was a belt. ONE BELT. Pep Boys had told me I needed all new belts, hoses, spark plugs, and a new axle! Ridiculous. And it seems they have not changed and will not change. This company should be out of business.

In Response to the comment

AUTHOR: Mike Hardaker Editor & Publisher - (United States of America)

I checked my oil the day before I was to drive across the country.. Had I not, my car would have caught on fire.

Pep Boys do suck,but your story is BOGUS.

AUTHOR: Will - (U.S.A.)

" The next day I went to a Brake specialist and was told my rear brakes were fine, no rust, no damage.  He replaces everything did all the work for $300"......If everything is fine then why is he replacing parts?......" figured I should check my oil just in case, turns out it was EMPTY.  Completely drained,The day I left to drive from California to Wyoming"......really? so you drove with no oil (not knowing of course) and did not ruin the engine?
Pep Boys is a loser rip-off company, next time write a better fairy tale.