Complaint Review: Pepboys automotive

• Reported By: Claire L. — Baton Rouge Louisiana
Pepboys automotive
9704 Airline Highway Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA

Pepboys automotive charging for work not needed Baton Rouge Louisiana

I had recently purchased a Toyota 4Runner from a family member.  There was an episode where bad gas was distributed in my area which caused certain issues with vehicles and my vehicle was experiencing similar issues.  My husband wanted to get a diagnostic done and our regular mechanic was on vacation, so we took my 4runner to Pepboys.

Pepboys called to give us the results and indicated that my vehicle died twice on the test drive (which we never authorized and figured they took it on a parts or lunch run).  They also recommended I not drive it away as it was not reliable.  When we picked it up, their recommendation for repairs was for $5,600.00 for repairs including four catalytic converters.  I'm told my model vehicle only has 3 catalytic converters.  Needless to say we did not have Pepboys repair my vehicle.  I figure if it needs that much in repairs it shouldn't be running at all. It certainly has never died on me, and required me to wait for it to cool down before it would start again, as they claimed it did.

We had the vehicle checked by another repair shop, another diagnostic and the results were that we needed ignition coil 6, and the only other recommendation was that it would be good idea to change the plugs if they had not been changed in the last 60,000 miles, and they had not.

The total bill for final repairs was 421.00.

I am appalled that Pepboys would indicate we should have such a high repair bill that was not needed.  Certainly underscores my concern over taking my car for repairs anywhere but I will certainly return to the Precision Tune on S Sherwood Forest in Baton Rouge, LA  - they were the shop that did the actual repairs.

Pepboys:    $5,600.00

Precision:    $421.00

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/04/2014 02:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pepboys-automotive/Baton-Rouge-Louisiana-70816/Pepboys-automotive-charging-for-work-not-needed-Baton-Rouge-Louisiana-1144009. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pepboys automotive