likes
  • Report: #120765

Complaint Review: Pet Lane, Lane Nemeth

• Submitted: Wed, December 01, 2004
  • Updated: Tue, July 27, 2010

• Reported By:Martinez California
Pet Lane, Lane Nemeth
2446 Estand Way Pleasant Hill, California U.S.A.

Pet Lane, Lane Nemeth Ripoff greedy unethical multi level marketing company that uses it's employees to make money instead of helping animals Pleasant Hill California

*General Comment: Facts

*General Comment: FYI

*Consumer Comment: Some questions still left unanswered???

*Consumer Comment: Whoops

*Consumer Comment: You almost had me, Kimberly

*Consumer Comment: You almost had me, Kimberly ..Your company recognizes that it can make $400 bucks a pop by selling an "opportunity," and thus profit from people's dreams

*UPDATE Employee: "Mallory" is a fictitious person - we have no record of a Pet Advisor named Mallory.

This report is to inform all those unsuspecting individuals out there about this company. It was founded by Lane Nemeth, the same woman who started Discovery Toys. The basis of this company is to have you pay a $400 sign up fee to get a kit of various pet products to host in home pet parties.

The unfortunate part of all this is that they have made it so difficult to further yourself with the company that you can never advance to a stage where you would make enough commission on sales to ever be able to run a profitable business. It is your typical old fashioned multi level marketing scam. The company has been in business for over a year now and there are people working the so-called Pet Lane Business Plan on a full time basis and they are still not generating enough sales to promote to a team leader position. It is unheard of for a company to have been in business for a year and not have one single person promote to a higher earning position. The founder of Pet Lane has set up the company so that all the sales profits that her "Pet Advisors" earn go right back into the pocket of Lane Nemeth herself instead of the sales people out there doing all the hard work.

I did some research on the web and found that Mrs. Nemeth and her husband Ed have started and ended over a dozen companies over the past ten years that followed in the same foot steps as Pet Lane and Discovery Toys.

I also found an article on the web that was posted in INC magazine in 1990 that showed where Lane Nemeth almost lost Discovery Toys beacuse of her greed. If you go to google.com and put in Lane Nemeths's name you will find the article I mention. It was that same greed that finally forced her to sell Discovery Toys to Avon in the early 90's or else the entire company would have folded.

My purpose of reporting this company and this woman is to make sure that no other innocent persons join this company and lose their money. Please people, read the fine print. Do your research before you join. And please, please, please ask questions. The one thing these people hate more than anything else is when people ask questions. Ask them how many people have promoted to team leader and see what answer you get. Ask them why it's so hard to promote. Ask all the questions you wan before you join. Please don't make the same mistake I made and jump before you look.

I beleived these people had the same mission in life as myself. To better the lives of companion animals and the people who care for them. But their only mission is to fatten their pocket books.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,
Naive in California

Mallory
Pleasant Hill, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/01/2004 11:26 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pet-Lane-Lane-Nemeth/Pleasant-Hill-California-94553/Pet-Lane-Lane-Nemeth-Ripoff-greedy-unethical-multi-level-marketing-company-that-uses-its-120765. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pet Lane, Lane Nemeth

#1 General Comment

Facts

AUTHOR: Holly S R - (United States of America)

I am a licensed veterinary technician.  I am also a "pet advisor" with Pet Lane.  I didn't pay $400 for a starter kit, it was $199 and paid for in two installments with options to return and cancel in 60 days.  I pay $6 a month to use the website order form instead of phoning in orders.

The food is NOT corn based.  NO NO NO, that is the worst stuff you can feed your pets. Have you looked at the label?  The primary ingredients are chicken and brown rice, with things like kelp and rose hips to provide the elements of nutrition.

This company is more of a direct sales than a MLM.  Most of the commission is paid on what you sell YOURSELF, not what your "downline" produces.  This money is "incidental" to the sales you make for yourself.  I don't really care to be a team leader, so I haven't looked into these reports.  I know that you need to do about 2 parties a week to make the income worth the trouble - about $100 a week.

Maybe you are referring to older policies, or ? but I have been doing this about 8 months now.  I seem to find the support when I need it or request it, and many of the products are original, and some you can find in pet shops. I do know of people in the business who are making this a full time living, so it can be done.

Holly Rivney

holly31@petlover.com

#2 General Comment

FYI

AUTHOR: LynnAnne - (United States of America)

I'm not a customer or rep for PetLane, and I joined DT way after the Lane Nemeth years, so I have no idea how things were run back then.

But for the person who keeps hounding about the "$400" starter kit, I guess you didn't read the rebuttal all the way through, because that wasn't cited as the price of the kit. And for the other responder, why don't you ask Kimberley herself about the numbers and whatnot?  I'm pretty sure that's what she left all her contact information out there for. If you really feel they need to be posted here, perhaps you could come back and post them yourself afterwards.

"Number eight" might not have been the most politically correct thing for a company rep to write, but considering the kind of ranty nature of the post she was responding to - sounds like a reasonable assumption.

Some questions still left unanswered???

AUTHOR: Anonymous - (U.S.A.)

I am writing this letter as an anonymous person because I just had a friend that invited me to a Pet Lane Party, and I don't want to bring her or myself any unwanted scrutiny. It seemed like a fun idea at the time and I enjoyed myself at the party. As I am the constant skeptic I decided to do a little research on this company and came across this post.

I'm just wondering why Kimberley still didn't answer "Mallory's" one nagging question? The question being how hard is it really to promote to higher paid sales positions within this company. And, how many people have acutally accomplished moving up to the higher levels?

One would assume that if Pet Lane's products are of good quality and at a reasonable price that their sales associates should be very successful. People in this country love their pets, they spend on average over $100.00 a month on each one. I actually think it's more than that with some people but that's about my average.

I found Pet Lane's products to be of good quality. I can find most of them in pet store's and on line, but they do have a few specialty items that were interesting. Their prices were for the most part comparable to the big pet store chains. The one program they have that is nice is their food program. I believe it's the refillable bag program or something like that where your dog or cat food is delivered every month without having to order it. It's an automatic service that is nice for the normal consumer that has a perfectly healthy dog. The unfortunate thing for me is my dogs have allergies and with all the corn in thier dog food I can't buy it for my dogs. I wish they would have made a better quality of dog food, but maybe in the future. Many animals have certain food allergies and they can't eat just any old food.

Anyways, I'm getting off the subject. If the product is good and the price is comparable then sales associates with Pet Lane should be very successful. So can Kimberely tell us just how successful they are? I'm just curious. Do you have any numbers, for us consumers out here that might be interested in becoming "Pet Advisors"?

I'm not trying to bust your chops about this, but if I were to apply for a job I would want to know how successful the company was before I "Bought" into it and signed on.

I'm skeptical by nature, but was made even more so by Kimbereleys comments. She seemed somewhat defensive. It's hard to get a feeling for someone's emotions through typed verbage but my interpretation of her answers was that she was very perterbed by "Mallorys" remarks and wanted to put "Mallory" in her place.

I don't care about "Mallory". I care about my friend, and a possible business venture for myself. SO Kimberley...what would you say to me to convince me that Pet Lane was a good business to invest in and not just some warm and fuzzy version of the good old PYRAMID SCHEME???

I'll be patiently awaiting your response

Whoops

AUTHOR: Timothy - (U.S.A.)

I thought I may have posted that rebuttal twice. Sorry about that.

You almost had me, Kimberly

AUTHOR: Timothy - (U.S.A.)

Kimberly, you had me up until point #8. Then you went into that old MLM blather and the fog began to clear.

Here's my issue: I'm sure that you bring people in by convincing them that they can sell this stuff. But if YOU were actually convinced that they could sell this stuff, then why would you make them shell out the $400 up front? It seems to me like you could drastically increase your sales force, and bring in more qualified individuals if you weren't charging what amounts to a start-up fee. That is, of course, if you were selling a decent product at a good value.

Here's what I think. I think that you don't really care whether the people that sign up to sell for you will ever actually sell anything. Your company recognizes that it can make $400 bucks a pop by selling an "opportunity," and thus profit from people's dreams, rather than profit by selling a quality product at a good value via competent marketing.

So some poor schlub forks over $400 for the "opportunity" to have a big box of junk that they will never sell. What do you care? You've got their $400. And, on the off chance that they actually sell that stuff, all the better! They'll fork over another $400, try to recruit some other suckers, and so on while you sip margaritas in Cancun.

Whether or not you think you are scamming people, you are. You may be the nicest person in the world, who would never think of ripping somebody off. But simple logic counsels against the notion that your company operates with an ethcial foundation. If you really thought that these people could sell off those kits, you wouldn't make them pay for them up front.

AUTHOR: Timothy - (U.S.A.)

AUTHOR: Kimberley - (U.S.A.)

My name is Kimberley Coburn and I am the VP of Sales for Petlane. I can be contacted at sales@petlane.com We found it difficult to post this rebuttal since we have no record of a Pet Advisor named Mallory ever joining our team. If an individual lacks the integrity to use their own name, why should we believe anything else they have to say? Nonetheless, this ridiculous posting required a response;

1. Our new Pet Advisor kit cost is $299 and has a retail value of +$630. It comes with a money back guarantee - a Pet Advisor has up to 120 days to return a kit if they change their mind about being in business with us.

2. Many of our new Pet Advisors do join this company because of Lane Nemeth. Discovery Toys always had a reputation in the Direct Selling industry as being one of the most ethical, mission driven companies ever founded. Further questions? Please call Neil Offen, President of the Direct Selling Association in Washington D.C. I'm sure he will be more than glad to share his knowledge of Lane Nemeth and Discovery Toys.

3. Lane has never developed or owned one single company in tandem with her husband Ed. They are both entrepreneurs in totally different and unrelated industries.

4. After Lane sold Discovery Toys to Avon, she explored two different small business opportunities - unrelated to direct selling, neither of which came to fruition. Petlane was begun in exactly the manner described in our catalog (you can request one at www.petlane.com)and was born from Lane's passion for her own companion animals. I was present the first time Lane ever went shopping for her granddog Jade, and I shared her dismay over the quality of product available to these very important members of our respective families.

5. We ENCOURAGE you to PLEASE read the article "Mallory" refers to INC. magazine - it says nothing mildly similar to what "Mallory" infers, but may help you avoid making a mistake similar to the one Lane made when seeking Venture Capitol as an inexperienced new business owner. The sub title of the INC. Magazine article reads: "Why a haphazardly made venture capital deal may cost a successful entrepreneur her company." You can read the entire article at http://www.inc.com/magazine/19900701/5247.html

6. Discovery Toys was sold to Avon in 1997 because Avon offered Discovery Toys the opportunity to expand into 180 countries, utilizing the infrastructure Avon already had in place. The chance to help so many parents, in so many countries was paramount to Lane's dream of changing the world one child at a time. Unfortunately, the Avon Chairman/CEO who negotiated the purchase of Discovery Toys left Avon 15 months after the purchase and the new CEO did not feel DT should be a part of Avon. DT was sold a second time, and Lane retired shortly thereafter.

7. I am available - with a real email address and real phone number - to answer questions. I will happily refer you to real Pet Advisors who are working to build businesses with Petlane. You can call us at 925-521-9980 or email me at sales@petlane.com

8. People who fail in life often need to blame others for their own lack of success. We are truly sorry if this is the path "Mallory" is currently on. Hopefully some day she will find something to do that she can succeed at and makes her happy.