Complaint Review: PetCo Newport News 2730

• Updated: Mon, December 16, 2013

• Reported By: One For Better Customer Service — Somewhere Virginia
PetCo Newport News 2730
12551 Jefferson Avenue Newport News, Virginia USA

Jacob Irvin Manager of PetCo Newport News 2730 Needs Training on Customer Service poor customer service, uncaring attitude, shop elsewhere Newport News Virginia

*Consumer Comment: I WITNESSED IT

*Author of original report: An Update

*Author of original report: And One More Thing, Mr. Rebuttal

*Author of original report: In response to the rebuttal

*General Comment: You make assumptions...

This is the email I sent to PetCo:

"I was at your Newport News store #2730 last night. There was no one at the register. We milled around the front for a while hoping to see a store associate near the register. No one came. We got tired of waiting and approached the register. No one came. We heard someone talking, so my husband went and looked in the manager's office.

The manager was sitting there talking on the phone. He kept his back to my husband as my husband told him "We need some help at the register." The man did not move. He asked the person on the phone if he could call him back. My husband came back to the register to me. We waited. Then we heard the manager laughing loudly on what was clearly a personal phone call. He was still on the phone! I loudly asked if we could have someone ring us up. The manager did not move.

A woman in the back heard me and called over the intercom for a cashier. No one came. Then, SHE comes and rings us up. She apologizes and tells us that the manager said he would run the registers up front, but she had no idea why he didn't ring us up. I told her we had informed him we needed help, but he kept talking on the phone. She kind of looked at me like "yeah, that's him."

The manager then came out and was grinning and chuckling. He asked us if we found everything. He did not apologize for the wait time or explain why he treated us like that. My husband commented that we had some trouble finding someone to ring us up. The manager just walked away without a word. I asked the girl if that happened a lot, and she looked back at where he was walking away and let me know nonverbally he could still hear her and then looked down.

The girl who rang us up was Malinda. She jumped into fill a need left open by a store manager. She is the kind of employee who will grow your business. The manager of this store, Jacob I., will do the opposite.

This is the THIRD bad experience in a row in your Newport News location. As a farm, kennel, aviary, and pet owner who is responsible for over 100 living creatures, I will be taking my money where it is appreciated. If you go into the Pet Smart location just down the road, you will see many customers and a cashier present at the front. PetCo is normally empty when I go. I am pretty sure I know why too. PetCo says they put the animal first, but you can't put the animal first if you are scaring away potential homes or the purchase of care items for an animal.

Sincerely,
A Family Who Will Be Shopping PetSmart from now on"

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/16/2013 10:33 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PetCo-Newport-News-2730/Newport-News-Virginia-23602/Jacob-Irvin-Manager-of-PetCo-Newport-News-2730-Needs-Training-on-Customer-Service-poor-cu-1107387. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PetCo Newport News 2730

I WITNESSED IT

AUTHOR: Also There - ()

I was there and party to the horrible behavior also. I am the husband. It is normal for a customer in any store to expect to be promptly waited on at the register. This is not an unreasonable expectation for a customer to have. There was no one watching the store front. We could have walked out with the single item we purchased without anyone seeing us. That's a bad sign of neglect by the person in charge. When I addressed this man, he did not even bother to look at me or acknowledge me. He simply addressed the other person on the phone with "Can I call you back?" I took that to mean he was coming to help us until we heard him laughing and still talking later. To disrespect your customers is to disrespect your job...because a retail manager's job is the customers. No customers..no sales..no job. There was another adult who was with us and also witnessed how we were treated by this poor excuse of a manager, Jacob Irvin. As a manager, it is his name on the wall. He is where the responsibility for how the store is being managed.  And, to the other person, we have given our names to upper management as well as our phone number. We would love to hear why three times in a row we have not had professional service and have had to leave twice because no one would help us. We would love to hear why there was no one watching the front door. l'd love to hear why the things they can't or won't do, PetSmart IS doing. No response from PetCo as of yet.

An Update

AUTHOR: One For Better Customer Service - ()

Another manager called us and said they were sorry we were treated like that, it isn't their policy. The manager who did it was brought into the office, confronted, and has been written up for poor customer service which is now part of his permanent record as an employee there. We have been invited back into the store to try them again. There really isn't much incentive since we have had so many issues and have found (((competitor's name redacted))) much friendlier and efficient, but will keep them in mind to try again in a couple of years. We do appreciate the apology, corrective measures to avoid more customers experiencing what we did, and the invitation. My suggestion to PetCo...frequent secret shoppers for an extended period to iron out the customer service issues.

And One More Thing, Mr. Rebuttal

AUTHOR: One For Better Customer Service - ()

You have shown YOUR characater and tolerance level through your choice of words and attitude. The very same thing you area accusing me of and showing such disdain for, is what the manager was doing to us. We were there spending our money...money he needs to keep his store open to keep his job. Good customer service is something people expect when they spend their hard earned money. His name is displayed in store to the public as manager there, a fact he accepted when he took the job.

In response to the rebuttal

AUTHOR: One For Better Customer Service - ()

It is you who is making the assumptions. You weren't even there. You have not had the other two experiences of bad customer service at this store. He didnt even acknowledge our presence. He didn't even turn around in his chair. We could HEAR his personal conversation...and can quote him. He didn't offer an explanation or an apology. He did not answer our questions as he walked away with an attitude. We were politely waiting until it was clear he was not going to help us. His own cashier indicated this is his normal behavior. I have THREE adult witnesses to this incident and FIVE to two others. This man is not professional and lacks training.

#5 General Comment

You make assumptions...

AUTHOR: Tyg - ()

You make assumptions that the manager was on a personal call. If he was on the phone with his district manager then that wouldnt be a personal call. I find it funny that because you had to WAIT that this must be a bad manager and a bad store. Self entitled much?? First, you have NO IDEA who this manager was talking to, you have made an assumption. Second, if the manager was on break who are you to demand that he stop taking a break and service YOU. YOU obviously wouldnt stop YOUR break just because someone demanded your attention. Third, awful nice of you to really show us YOUR humanitarian side. No empathy, no understanding, just bi+ching.

Boo Hoo you had to wait. In the grand scheme of life all you have shown and proven is that YOU demand a level of service and blast ppl who dont give it to you. They are a manager, who the hell are you to ttell them WHEN they can make a call, WHO they can call, and WHAT is expected when YOU walk into a store.

Obviously there were ppl on the floor. You and your husband both took it upon yourself to hold the MANAGER responsable, so YOU went to the office. Had you looked around you would have probably seen someone stocking the isles and it was THEIR job to ring you up. But that would have been too much work to walk around and find assistance.

Their job is hard enough without some jack@ss like you bi+ching because YOU had to wait. Perhaps YOU need to treat them better. Because the body of your post really says "Im too important and my time is so much more VALUABLE then theirs, dont they know how important I AM?!?!"

I think this Petco. is probably LUCKY to NOT have you as a customer. If you did that in MY store, you would be summarily asked to remove either the corn cob from your ass or to leave my store. That level of self entitlement is one of the MAJOR reasons People no longer wish to work in retail any longer. Some stupid twit blows WAITING out of proportion and then NAMES the store AND manager in their post. This is the US of A!! EVERY citizen has the right to face their accusor.

But why worry about little tings like the constitutional rights when you can post your bullshit and do it all while ANON. See what I mean by self entitled?? One day though it WILL come back on you!! Eventually YOU will have to face and deal an EXACT copy of you. A self entitled self important dipstick who thinks that the world REVOLVES around them. One who treats EVERYONE they feel is below them as less of a person then themselves. So you had to wait, big flipping deal.

shipping