Complaint Review: PETCO

Orlando, Florida United States of America

PETCO PETCO PALS Program an organized corporate ripoff Orlando, Florida

*Consumer Comment: PETCO Pals is a scam

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Ok

PETCO Animal Supplies, Inc. is running some very organized scams at their corporate level to ripoff their best customers. Their PALS program which purports to reward loyal customers with discounts has at least 4 different scams going. At least that's how many I've been subject to.

Free Food Program, Scam 1 - You buy 10 bags of food and get one free. Sounds easy, right? What happens here is they don't give you credit for all the bags you purchase, hoping you'll not get to 10 bags before the year is up (you only have 12 months to purchase your 10 bags). I caught them doing this to me twice this year. They did give me credit but I had to call both times.  If you don't get your free bag, you're paying more since they're priced higher than the competition.

Free Food Program, Scam 2 - They don't send you the coupon after you've earned one. The store emplyees tell you they send it in 2 weeks, PETCO's website says they send it within one month. My PETCO PALS account says I earned a bag back on 10/24/2009. It's 01/09/2010 and they still haven't sent it. Their hope here is that you'll never call to complain and get your coupon, thus causing you to pay more than if you bought from the competition.

Sale Prices Don't Ring Up Scam- You can read about this in another ripoff report on here. I can assure you that it's not an isolated incident. Sale items constantly ring up at the original prices. I'm surprised an Attorney General in some state hasn't gotten a hold of this one yet. I always take my ad with me and check every price before I pay.

Expire Coupons Scam - They'll give you a coupon via your account on their website but it's already expired! Their web site says "Electronic Quarterly Rewards Certificates are normally available for viewing and printing one week after the earning quarter ends". I clicked on my 2009 Q4 Coupon and it said it expired in the middle of November! That was before the quarter even ended. Also there was no option to print because they don't want the coupon in your hand. It said it would show up on my next receipt.

I'm sure they've got more scams going. Those are just the ones I've had perpetrated on me.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/09/2010 07:23 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PETCO/Orlando-Florida-/PETCO-PETCO-PALS-Program-an-organized-corporate-ripoff-Orlando-Florida-551428. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PETCO

PETCO Pals is a scam

AUTHOR: res0g - (United States of America)

The free bag after purchasing 10 is a scam. I had to call three times and ask for my coupon previously, and I have receipts in my hand right now that show where they changed my number of bags purchased from 5 to 2 between purchases.

#2 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Ok

AUTHOR: Jeffx - (U.S.A.)

I don't know what kind of dog you have but I have a fifty pound dog and I go through a 15 pound of dog food every two weeks.  So 12 is easy to do.  It also clearly states that they must be the same size and quantity on the receipt.  That's another clear signal that most people don't bother to read everything clearly.  You do read the fine print in your credit card offers or even loan agreements right?  And if you haven't received the coupon call the number on your card.  Even ask to speak with the store manager.  If your nice and polite they might be able to help you.  My boss did for several people.

Sale items ringing up at wrong price happens everywhere.  Sometimes it's a computer issue, and sometimes it's people don't read the signs.  If you think an item is on sale at the checkout say something.  If it is they'll fix the price.  In fact I remember fixing the price for several things that were just on the wrong rack.  However if say one type of Science Diet is on sale that doesn't mean they all are.  And once again these are clearly marked with signs and such.  You just have to take the time to read them.  Also they do ring up as the regular price, but underneath you'll see the automatic subtraction of the discount.