Complaint Review: Planet Fitness

• Updated: Sun, November 18, 2012

• Reported By: nomoreplanetfitnesss — Abilene Texas United States of America
Planet Fitness
2540 barrow street abilene, Texas United States of America

Planet Fitness Fees due to false information, terminated my contract for no reason with 0 notice abilene, Texas

I am an everyday guy who just wanted a gym to workout at.  My friend referred me to Planet Fitness, that sounded great because I needed a 24 hour gym.  I came in mid June around 11pm to sign up and get started.  The employee was a younger man and I asked him a couple questions before I got started.  "Black card members get unlimited guest access and you can bring your friends with you", I clarified "My friends can use the stuff in here?", "Yep".  For 20$ I was sold.  We got to the paperwork and we had to set up banking information  .  "All I have is a card is that going to be ok?  I don't like giving my banking info out", I was told that was fine but that the 20$ was going to be taken out monthly.

I came back for my workout a couple days later and I brought my water jug with me, I was told you cannot bring water jugs into the gym...  No one told me this when I signed up so that meant I had to start buying bottled water from the store, irritating but no problem.  This was something that was not explained to me when I signed up (along with many other things) But I obeyed and adjusted my routine.  I later brought some friends to workout with me and was told that I could not bring more than 1 person with me.  I explained that I clearly asked the rep if I could bring friends or not then I was rudely told (with plenty of attitude) well everyone says that but you can only bring one person in at a time.  I was pretty irritated at this point but for the money it was still ok.

A month into my contract my card was stolen and I needed to change the info at the gym so they would get their money properly, I took time out of work (we don't get lunches) to come down and get it straightened out.  I spoke to (another new) female employee and told her the situation.  I was told "Oh you don't have to worry there wont be a charge as long as you do it within a day before your due date, even if something does happen I'm going to leave a note on the account to assure that you don't get a charge"  6 days later I see I was charged a $15 (roughly) fee.

I went to the gym and was met with nine kinds of ugliness and rudeness, the manager was apparently having a rough day.  I told her about how the employee left a note and assured there wouldn't be a fee and all she said was "Well I wasn't here and I can't validate what you're saying".  I later asked on their facebook about it which led me to a regional manager (of some sort) who said the same thing.

A couple months ago I brought a partner with me to workout and I told her to go use the tanning while I worked out.  She returned and told me she couldn't use it.  When I asked the (new) employee about it he said you have to sign up for a separate membership to tan.  I asked him about the "Unlimited guest access" and he said "Oh that includes everything but the tanning".  I was pretty fed up at this point and decided to post the question along with a few other frustrations on their facebook (I did this without cursing or being derogatory) The response given was "We will have upper management look at this and contact you".

2 months later I decide to finally go hit the gym and I was told "Oh, your contract has been terminated", "Excuse me?  Why? And by who?".  I was given papers with my Facebook post of legitimate problems marked as "Inappropriate behavior via social media.  I was never contacted by phone, email, text, facebook or ANYTHING.  I'm an everyday customer who was very upset at the misinformation due to a poorly trained staff making mistakes I had to pay for.  Now I am left without a gym and I have to come up with a down payment for another gym on the spot.  0 notice was given.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/18/2012 08:53 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Planet-Fitness/abilene-Texas-/Planet-Fitness-Fees-due-to-false-information-terminated-my-contract-for-no-reason-with-0-971136. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Planet Fitness