Complaint Review: Pleasant Springs Sales, Service and Towing

• Updated: Thu, April 17, 2014

• Reported By: Somethingsgottagive — Madison Wisconsin
Pleasant Springs Sales, Service and Towing
2731 County Hwy N Cottage Grove, Wisconsin USA

Pleasant Springs Sales, Service and Towing; D.E.S. Enterprises LLC; Daniel E. Sperloen (Owner/Operator) Dishonest Salesman, Careless Mechanic and an Undesirable Human Being Cottage Grove Wisconsin

On the 16th of January I purchased my 98' Honda CRV from Daniel Sperloen at his place of business, Pleasant Springs Sales, Service and Towing. I paid a total of $3,852.00 with tax title and registration, $3,500 base price for the vehicle. Before purchasing the vehicle I noticed the driver's side window didn't work and was told by Daniel that he would install it for free if I paid for the part. This was the only malfunction made known to me about the vehicle at the time of purchase. I have barely driven the vehicle at all since purchasing it. The mileage was about 146,200 when I purchased it and I have only put about 400 miles on it. All the trips I took have been within Dane county and I have been driving it very easy so as to feel the vehicle out.

I started to notice problems on the 30th of January when I had the car on cruise control doing 65. Suddenly the vehicle started decelerating at the same time the RPM went really high and I could hear the engine working a lot harder. I quickly turned off the cruise control and the vehicle began driving 65 again within the normal RPM range. As the days went on I noticed other problems such as: the transmission lagging between gears, the check engine light came on, the vehicle shook violently when stopping from a higher speed, slow response to accelerate after pushing gas pedal and raising it's RPM while driving at consistent speeds.

On the 28th of March, I took the vehicle back to Pleasant Springs Sales, Service and Towing where Mr. Sperloen found that the timing belt was loose, the water pump was leaking and the boot of the right front CV axle was cracked. He adjusted the timing belt (which should have been replaced), put a new waterpump in, installed a new right front axle and replaced the window regulator for the driver's window. At this point I told Mr. Sperloen that I that I would be driving out to Wyoming in May for a job and I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have any problems on my way out there. On this trip my cousin noticed coolant fluid leaking from the radiator. Daniel ensured me that the vehicle was fine the coolant leak wasn't a problem and I shouldn't have any problems.

I still felt unsure about the transmission and some noises that the vehicle was making so I decided to have the vehicle inspected by Midas on the 2nd of April. In the afternoon I went to pick the vehicle up and was informed of a list of problems including:

1. All 4 tires were dry rotted and have deep cracks

2. The A/C belt tensioner was worn out and making noise

3. The belts for the A/C, power steering and alternator were all dry and thin with deep cracks

4. The fuel filter and all hoses on the vehicle are original and should have been replaced

5. The transmission fluid was very dark and needs to be flushed

6. The rotors on the front brakes are warped which causes the vehicle to shake when stopping from high speeds. The front and rear brakes have 30-40% of their life left

I took the vehicle to the Honda dealership to have the transmission change and vehicle check done where they found that the A/C compressor was shot. They cut the A/C belt as I don't have the money to fix it which reduced the noise to a point where you can now hear the alternator is making noise.

My expenses for repairs now total $1,080.88:

4 new tires: $265.65

Transmission change and check at Honda: $85.56

Brakes, rotors and fuel filter: $103.62

Radiator: $115.75

Repairs that still need to be done include (price for parts only):

Replacing all hoses: $200.00

A/C compressor, tensioner pulley and belt: $400.00

Power steering and alternator belts: $40.00

Timing belt plus kit: $100.00

Alternator: $230.00

Plus labor costs for work that I can't do myself

I haven't driven that vehicle hardly anywhere and these problems were existent before I bought it. I paid the price for a vehicle in good condition and was led to believe that this vehicle had none of these problems. If I hadn't gotten that vehicle checked out before leaving to Wyoming I'd of been stranded less than half way there. Daniel Sperloen deceived me, lied to me and endangered my life as well as my future.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 04/16/2014 01:06 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Pleasant-Springs-Sales-Service-and-Towing/Cottage-Grove-Wisconsin-53527/Pleasant-Springs-Sales-Service-and-Towing-DES-Enterprises-LLC-Daniel-E-Sperloen-O-1139367. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Pleasant Springs Sales, Service and Towing