Complaint Review: poetry.com

• Reported By: Char — Clinton Utah USA
poetry.com
www.poetry.com Internet United States of America

poetry.com RIPPED OFF, Internet

*General Comment: They probably did...

I have had nine poems "selected" for print.  Last year I was sent information concerning a poets conference where I was chosen to resite this poem.  I was sent an agenda, adress of the conference, conf. dates etc.  I was thrilled!  I got a money order and mailed it in for my "entry fees" .  When I ended up having foot surgery I emailed, wrote and tried to call to cancel my reservation.  Given the circunstances, I there was no way I could go.  Noone returned my letters, emails or phone calls.

I never received my money back for the conference, my copy of the publication, or my commenorative trophey.

I had over thirty poems on Poetry.com and this afternoon I tried to go on to print them out for a book I am putting together and the website no longer exists.

No have not only lost money; but I have also lost my work.  All of my emails that had a copy of my poetry now has a rectangle with an x in the top corner.  I was actually directed to this website when I googled poetry.com.  Ironic indeed.

I would like to know if they have published and profited off of my work.  If nothing else, I would like my poems to be returned to me.

If anyone has any information on how I can do this, please email me!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/11/2009 04:22 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/poetrycom/internet/poetrycom-RIPPED-OFF-Internet-507745. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on poetry.com

#1 General Comment

They probably did...

AUTHOR: Edgeman - (U.S.A.)

They probably did publish your work. Let me explain to you how this operation worked.

There were a number of websites devoted to arts such as photography, poetry, etc. People would submit their entries and virtually all of them would be notified that their work had been "selected" for publication. The books are little more than vanity publications where people pay in order to be included. The awards don't carry much value in their respective industries because of this.

To put it simply, yes, your work probably was published and purchased by other award "winners" who wanted to see their own works in print. I don't think that you have to worry about them profiting by selling the books at Barnes & Noble or Amazon.

The only thing that baffles me is asking to have your work returned to you. Don't you save your work on your computer? You shouldn't have to copy your poems from an email.

Did they have you sign some kind of release giving them all rights to your work?