Complaint Review: PoliceAuctions.com

• Reported By: Ed — Pinon Hills California
PoliceAuctions.com
3182 Pullman Street, 92626 Costa Mesa, California USA

PoliceAuctions.com Sold me FAKE Silver Dollar Costa Mesa California

*Consumer Comment: Not a ripoff.

Today I received a coin in a padded envelope from an on-line auction I won. The shipping time was good - matter of a couple days since the end of the auction. The coin was described as "Collector's Uncirculated One Troy Ounce .999 Silver Clad 1893 CC Morgan Dollar Tribute Coin." I paid $51 for the coin and was excited that I got it for that price and the other bidders did not continue to bid me up more. Now I know why. I am an amateur coin collector and like collecting silver dollars, especially Morgan dollars. Since this was advertised as "uncirculated" I wanted it for the quality which I don't have on any of my other coins. However, I didn't look at the photo close enough. Upon inspection, the word "COPY" is imprinted under the left wing of the eagle on the back side. Obviously I didn't expect a "COPY" but wanted a value piece of currency. This is a "Tribute" but to what I don't know. I suppose it is a tribute to the dollar - or the eagle - or the silver - or the date - or to the coffers of policeauctions.com's cash drawer. When I called them I was told it says "COPY" in the photo. The auction reference number is 1066770. Go to it and see if you can readily see where it says "COPY". If you want a valid coin and not a counterfeit coin buy it from a reputable coin dealer not from PoliceAuctions.com. Ed G   (((REDACTED)))@verizon.net

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 01/23/2014 04:16 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/PoliceAuctionscom/Costa-Mesa-California-92626/PoliceAuctionscom-Sold-me-FAKE-Silver-Dollar-Costa-Mesa-California-1117974. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on PoliceAuctions.com

Not a ripoff.

AUTHOR: Crucible - ()

" I am an amateur coin collector and like collecting silver dollars, especially Morgan dollars."

You should be embarrased to call your self a collector.   Even amatuers can decipher plain english descriptions.

Let me help you out with that.   "Silver Clad" means "plated in silver" which by definition is "not solid silver".     "Tribute Coin" means "not the real coin, but a copy similar to the original".   Geeez!

" I didn't look at the photo close enough. "

Well you already had plenty of clues in the text.   So, I suppose your failure to look at the photo is also someone else's fault?    If you were confused by this common copy, I strongly suggest you find a new hobby.

I hope you never run across that Gold Buffalo tribute coin they advertise on TV for $10.   Somebody could probably get you to fork over $1500 for that, even by accurately describing it and showing you a picture of it.

anticipation