Complaint Review: Poore's Propane

• Reported By: Joy-C — Millsboro Delaware United States of America
Poore's Propane
PO Box 24 Lewes, Delaware United States of America

Poore's Propane Price Gouging Lewes, Delaware

Unfortunetely, when having my house built thru Ryan Homes, I opted for a propane fireplace, which included a underground propane tank. Unbeknowest to my husband and myself, we were locked into a contract with Poore's Propane. The first year we found out that if we did not purchase at least 100 gal. of propane within a year we would be billed $99.00 for maintenance only. Non of the paperwork we received at settlement indicated this surcharge. Because the house is a summer home, we have little use for the firelplace, therefore used very little propane. We did however, pay for 96 gallons of use.  It should be noted, with or without the maintenance fee, there is no regular maintenance performed on the propane tank.

Today I called Poore's Propane so that I could have them fill the tank. I told them that I was an ongoing customer and asked what the price per gallon would be. I was quoted a price of $3.199 per gallon. I then asked to schedule a fill up. When I gave my address, I was told that the price quoted was wrong, that the cost would be $3.99 a gallon. I asked why and the girl stammered and suggested that it was due to my location. I then said that she had to be kidding me. She then stammered again and said that she was new and needed to put someone else on the phone.

The next individual said that the higher price would be in effect for my address. I asked how could they do this with an on-going customer; especially since gas prices have been going down. Well after hearing her explain that it was due to a log fireplace installed, I asked what that had to do with anything. I said that she needed to put her supervisor on the phone. A man answered and I informed him that I was never told nor was anything written about propane log fireplaces costing nearly $1.00 more per gallon and that I would rather cancel the service with Poore's then to pay an inflated price. He then said "a crew will be at your house tomorrow and will remove the tank and cancel your service". He did not address me, did not mention any costs invoved with the removal, so I guess I will soon find out and will have to fight any costs through the courts.

I have always felt that one pays for customer service and I did not get my value.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/16/2011 01:15 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Poores-Propane/Lewes-Delaware-19958/Poores-Propane-Price-Gouging-Lewes-Delaware-777661. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Poore's Propane