Complaint Review: portfolio recovery

• Updated: Thu, May 08, 2014

• Reported By: tuna — Hood River Oregon
portfolio recovery
Nationwide USA

portfolio recovery Santander reposessed a vehicle that was paid off two years prior Westlake Nationwide

*Consumer Comment: Confused

My car was repsessed by  pra after it had been paid off two years prior

After battling for the title of my van for 2 years with no luck I was contacted by pra recievables in june of 2013 saying I owed them 20000 on it and I was behind on my payments of 500 dollars monthly  I handed these papers over to my lawyer. She contacted the abd tgey were cooperating telling her they were going to straighten this matter out and send me the title. In September of 2013 a tow truck showed up at the house no warning no contact no notice from portfolio recovery what so ever looking for the van. Again we contacted my lawyer and again we were told theRe was a misunderstanding and they would be sending me the title. 3 months by no title no contact no letters from pra what so ever then on January 8 2014 the van was reposessed or stolen by portfolio recovery. i called the local ssheriff to report a stolen car thats when I was told it was reposessed we were not given any info on where we could get our belongings or what company had the van we then were sent a letter several weeks later that our van was being sold at a private sale  and we would be billed for what ever the balance owing would be. Oregon law states the consjmer has the right to knkw by law where the vehicle is being sold  at what time and what day and where. But no word then in may of 2014 I was sent a bill for 22000 dollars for a van that was paid off in 2011.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 05/04/2014 12:53 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/portfolio-recovery-/nationwide/portfolio-recovery-Santander-reposessed-a-vehicle-that-was-paid-off-two-years-prior-West-1143900. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on portfolio recovery

Confused

AUTHOR: Robert - ()

This is a bit confusing.  You apparently had a lawyer in 2013(and possibly from 2011 to 2013).  But when they physically took the vehicle not a thing about what your laywer said in 2014.

If you are telling the truth and not leaving anything out, it sounds like you may now only have a complaint against this company but your lawyer who didn't look like they did a thing.

Of course there is the question as to why they think you are $20,000 behind in your payments as at $500/month that is close to 4 years of missing payments.  What were the terms of the original loan, that is amount, interest, length of loan and payment.  Then were you ever late or requested anything like a deferrment?