Complaint Review: primecast

• Submitted: Fri, December 23, 2011
  • Updated: Fri, December 23, 2011

• Reported By: alyssa — fort collins Colorado United States of America

primecast 83 year old woman taken advantage of and held hostage by corporate threats, Internet

*Consumer Comment: A couple questions

I am a very concerned daughter who tried to help save my 83 year old mother a few dollars.  Sounds simple its not.

My mother lives in a trailer park community that informed her last year that she could no longer have any choice on where to purchase her tv programs.  Said the company Primecast purchased this area with an exclusive contract and if she wanted tv she must pay them.  My mother followed the rules and has always made her payments on time for the amount of $79.44 every month to Primecast.

My mother's heart medication's increased and I tried to help her with her budget.  My mother only watch's the local channels.  Was paying for over 200 channels.  I called on November 4th 2011 and spoke with a very nice lady at Primecast and asked if there was a way to lower her bill.

Primecast informed me yes.  Mom would lose 50 channels as she was also paying $20 every month extra to Direct TV.  This was not necessary as her package covered this money in her contract.

Primecast conference our call to Direct Tv and their services were canceled.  Thus saving the $20.00.

Primecast said Mom was current on bill and next bill would be due like always next month.  Her new bill would be $61.44.   Including all taxes.

December bill $115.79.

Called and spoke with Tamarah at Primecast.  Was told with changes  of the packages that mom now lost her promotions.  New package would cost $96.80.  Also that Direct Tv has not canceled their side so still show's us owing the $20.00.

I said forget just go back to what she was paying monthly the $79.44 total.  NOPE can't do that as we canceled Direct Tv.  Even though they did not stop billing for their $20.00.

So I said to Tamarah.  Does this make any sense to you.  I called to try and save my mom $18.00.  Now your company has taken more channels away from her and your company is now charging her from $61.44 which I was told to a monthly charge of $115.79.  An increase of $54.35!!!

Was told a supervisor would call me in 24-72 hours. Was contacted by Sarah at Primecast.  Not a supervisor.  Said she saw our order and did some research and found that we were double billed and would return the $20.00

Said our promotion ended so that is why we get to pay more. I informed her that Mother's community trailer park is under a contract with Primecast so NO promotions are in effect. She put me on hold and verified that.

Well she really didn't know why the price went up.  Maybe it's Direct TV's fault. However she would give mom an additional discount for a survey.  Survey was never taken.  Sarah told me she would have a supervisor call me.

I told her that would be good and I told her that you tell the supervisor in advance that I demand they honor what was quoted and that my mother would not pay a penny over $61.44.

I sent a check for $61.44.  for her December bill.  Primecast cashed the check. My mother went out of town from December 17th til December 22 2011.

Her TV services had been shut off.  In the mail dated December 12th Past due notice demanding $54.35.  Wtih $50.00 reconnection fee and automatic access to withdrawl from her checking account.

Mother is devistated.  Grandchildren due to arrive in two days for Christmas and expecting to watch TV. 83 year old woman wanted to watch news to see how the weather will be.   Also January 4th 2012 statement states past due amount of $23.51.  Not $54.35 that notice states.

With current charges of $61.78 due in January.  Called Primecast again.  Spoke to another Sarah.  She said she would put me on hold to speak with a supervisor.  I was left on hold for an hour.  I called on my cell phone while  I was on hold with my mom's house phone.

Michael answered.  Told him I had been holding for over an hour.  He sounded sincere and said that was unacceptable.  He tried to get to a supervisor but said he was not sure one was still there.  He sounded reasonable.  I told him everything that was going on.

He became short tempered and said we owe $54.35. in past due fee's.  Even with all the discounts given.  How is this possible.  Paid every month $79.44 just like the statement said.  December paid $61.44.  Enough is Enough.  We've been lied too.  Given too many stories from his company.  Lost channels.  Service's disconnected.  I told him we would not be dealing with his company any more and will not give them another penny.

He said that is our right but if Mom doesn't pay he will make sure the company ruins her credit.  Also tried to tell me how a business is run.  I took this personal.  Told him I don't appreciate his threats.  I am a colleage graduate and Pricecast's 2 plus 2 does not equal 4.

I now have to explain to my 83 year old mother why her grandchildren will not be watching their favorite show's.  Merry Christmas everyone.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 12/23/2011 04:56 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/primecast/internet/primecast-83-year-old-woman-taken-advantage-of-and-held-hostage-by-corporate-threats-Int-813276. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on primecast

A couple questions

AUTHOR: Ramjet - (U.S.A.)

You said your Mother just watches local channels.  Does she live close enough to them to get them with rabbit ears or a simple antenna?

You could always rent a bunch of movies for the kids to watch, they'd probably like that better anyway.  I know my Grandchildren will watch the same movie like a million times.

Just a couple suggestions.

I know what you mean, I think we watch maybe 10 or 15 channels and we ended up with a package with a zillion channels to get the ones we want.  We can afford it but it's still really aggravating.

I wish they would allow us to just get the channels we want but I seriously doubt that will ever happen. We NEVER watch any sports channels, movie channels, religious channels, shopping channels. infomercial channels or any of the  wierdo channels no one ever heard of or watch.

Also, I think differential calculus is easier to understand than their ever changing, convoluted fee structures LOL