Complaint Review: Progressive Auto Insurance

• Updated: Fri, February 28, 2014

• Reported By: FloSucks — Everett Washington
Progressive Auto Insurance
19909 120th Ave Northeast #200 Bothell, Washington USA

Progressive Auto Insurance Progressive Auto Insurance Scam lowball fraud vehicle Bothell Washington

On 2/1/2014 my 70 year old mother was rear-ended by another vehicle. The collision was deemed at the fault of the other individual who was insured by Progressive Insurance. Upon filing a claim, and having the estimate completed by the Progressive Auto Repair Center in Lynnwood, WA, we were assigned a claims agent "Ashley G. Thompson". Ashley informed us that progressive assessed the damage to the vehicle to be approximately
$2876.81 to repair, while they felt the value of the vehicle was worth $2044.47 for the damaged 1993 Mazda MX-6. I questioned the low valuation since I could not find a single comparable vehicle (1993 Mazda MX6) that was being sold anywhere in the nation for less than $2995 before tax and licensing (based on autotrader.com, craigslist and carsforsale.com searches.) I supplied all of these comps to Ashley and asked her to redo the valuation. She responded that markets and mileage were the biggest variances to the lower valuation (even though one of the vehicles for $2995 was in cincinatti ohio - a market which should have substantially LOWER car prices). I also referred them to the NADA.com (used by many auto insurance companies) estimate of the car's value which states it should be between $2300 (poor condition)- $5875(good condition). Ashley then forwarded me her documentation, and I noted that they negligently left off most of the features of the
car in their low valuation (no A/C, no Dual airbags, no sunroof, etc.) I asked them to correct these issues and send us a fair quote. Progressive auto insurance's response continued to get more pointed and they said we needed to return the rental car the next day (leaving us with no second vehicle to rely on - and attempting to force us into accepting their offer). After we returned the vehicle, Ashley sent me an email saying they fixed the errors and checked comps nationwide, but it only changed the valuation to $2184.47 and this would be the only offer they would be extending to us, and they will mail us the check if they do not hear from us (forced acceptance) and they were going to tow our vehicle off their lot if we did not pick it up. Yet, upon reading through the comps attached in the email YET AGAIN, they STILL are deducting for not having AC, CD player, Sunroof,
Fog Lights, (not to mention a new clutch & new tires). Progressive is deliberately falsely misrepresenting the vehicle, deliberately trying to force my 70 year old low income mother to accept their false low-ball offer, and using the facts that she only has liability coverage on her car (so her insurance wont force progressive to a realistic offer), and the fact that she only has one vehicle (and without a rental she can not go to work) to make her accept the offer immediately. This is despicable.

I filed a BBB complain on 2/20 and received a response from supervisor Josh Morton with contact info. When I spoke with Joshua Morton, the supervisor for Ashley, he clearly let me know that he would not be adjusting the offer - and in fact he felt the offer was TOO HIGH and he should issue a stop payment on the check and issue a new check for a ~$150 lower. This was completely a reaction to me filing a BBB complaint against them - and in fact they DID put a stop payment on the check WITHOUT sending ANY notification to my mother (who had already cashed the check). She did not realize there was a stop payment on it until 7 days later when she received a second check in the mail. Only to realize the amount of the first check was now DEDUCTED from her bank account and she was overdrawn significantly and had been incurring all sorts of overdraft fees from her bank.

During that period of time, I had her car fixed and have been taking her to/from work since Progressive would not give her a rental car while her car was getting repaired, and she could not afford to rent a car on her own.

There are SOOO many fraudulent, deceptive and manipulative issues with this case that it just sickens me that a company can be this horrible to a 70 year old woman who is already struggling to just make ends meet. Joshua Morton and Progressive need to be held accountable!

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 02/28/2014 10:33 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Progressive-Auto-Insurance/Bothell-Washington-98011/Progressive-Auto-Insurance-Progressive-Auto-Insurance-Scam-lowball-fraud-vehicle-Bothell-1127488. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Progressive Auto Insurance