Complaint Review: Publisher's Clearing House

• Submitted: Thu, July 03, 2008
  • Updated: Thu, July 03, 2008

• Reported By:Waterville Maine
Publisher's Clearing House
720 Winners Circle St. Cloud, Minnesota U.S.A.

Publisher's Clearing House THIEVES & LIARS St. Cloud Minnesota

I ordered two magazines from Publisher's Clearing House, Popular Science and Scientific American for a total of $39.95. Within three days, I was getting emails (3 of them!) and on day five, I received a letter, the envelope was addressed to me and was printed "URGENT! IMMEDIATE RESPONSE REQUIRED!". I opened the envelope to find it was yet another bill from PCH, stating that I must pay either the minimum payment or pay in full immediately. Otherwise, my credit rating would be tarnished. What gall! They claim I won't begin receiving my magazines for up to 6 weeks, but I must make a payment at once or they'd report the "delinquency" to all three credit reporting agencies. My credit is impeccable, and I don't need this grief from them. I looked on the invoice I'd received, and found absolutely NO telephone number. I went on their website and still could not find a telephone number. So...I decided I'd email them. No provisions for that either...just a lengthy FAQ screen which did not address my concerns. Not until I did a Google search did I find their telephone number, fax number, etc. I called and told the Customer Service Representative I wanted to cancel, and was told it was too late to cancel - it must be done within 24 hours. She then transferred me to their Collections Department, who demanded I make an immediate "pay-by-phone" payment, for which they were kind enough to state would incorporate a $15.00 charge! I told them I wanted the subscribtions cancelled, or I'd contact the Maine Attorney General's Consumer Information and Protection Division in Augusta, Maine. They hung up on me. I thought I'd seen arrogance before!

Jeff
Waterville, Maine

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/03/2008 02:02 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Publishers-Clearing-House/St-Cloud-Minnesota-56399/Publishers-Clearing-House-THIEVES-LIARS-St-Cloud-Minnesota-347249. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Publisher's Clearing House