Complaint Review: Racetrac

• Updated: Wed, August 28, 2013

• Reported By: Joanie G — ALLEN Texas
Racetrac
5588 S Lake Forest Dr SH-121 McKinney, Texas USA

Racetrac I purchased gas using my Debit card as a credit purchase. I have a hold with my bank for $125. McKinney Texas

*Consumer Comment: Here's the common sense side of that transaction.

I have noticed previous reports regarding CA and FL.  I used a Racetrac in TX.

I used my debit card as a credit card transaction without using my PIN.  The purchase price of my gas was just under $65.  The hold from my bank is $125.

I have not looked for a decal but will make a point to do so.  This just seems like something is wrong here. I have the cash in my account but am unclear about whether this is right, legal or just another way for someone other than me to benefit.

I pump it, happily want to pay for it with ready funds. and now someone is using my money for longer period of time?

Doesn't sound right to me.  Everywhere else I use my card, it become exactly charged/withdrawn. Why is this a special situation?

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 08/28/2013 06:40 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Racetrac/McKinney-Texas-75070/Racetrac-I-purchased-gas-using-my-Debit-card-as-a-credit-purchase-I-have-a-hold-with-my-1079715. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Racetrac

Here's the common sense side of that transaction.

AUTHOR: SoChemAndEquipLLC - ()

That gas pump has no psychic abilities to know how much gas you are going to pump.

Do the math. Gas is nearly $4/gallon, right? Many tanks out there can hold up to 39 gallons like some pickups, and even smaller cars are 16 gallons, right? Do the math.

The hold they put on your account is to guarantee that they get paid for what they expect you will pump in to your tank.

Common sense here, nothing more.

Here is a scenario for you.

You swipe your card and they do not put a hold on a certain dollar amount of funds and say you only have $50 in your account. You pump $70 worth of gas. Now what???

Hence the reason for the hold!