Complaint Review: RENT-A-CENTER

• Updated: Wed, September 11, 2013

• Reported By: coolgc — Newalla Oklahoma
RENT-A-CENTER
530 W MAIN ST, Oklahoma USA

RENT-A-CENTER Lied to police to get my brother wrongfully arrested. 530 W MAIN ST Oklahoma

*Author of original report: Legal action?...Yes! Getting someone thrown in jail on fabricated charges...NO!

*UPDATE Employee: I work at RAC...

*Author of original report: MY BROTHER HAS SAUGHT LEGAL ADVICE

My brother got a laptop computer from Rent a center and was paying on it and the laptop ended up getting stolen.

He paid what he could on the laptop even though he didn't have it anymore until he fell behind on his payment agreement. Rent a center ended up sending their employees to his work to harrasing him about the laptop and also to my home to try and get the laptop which he didn't have any longer. At my home he informed them that he didn't have it and ask them to leave the property. A few days later he was informed that they had filed charges against him claiming that he threatened to shot them if they did not leave the property and since there were two of them and one of him the city has taken their word against his.

A warrent was issued for his arrest and he was later put in jail after a traffic stop. I have read other rip off reports discribing simular action in other cases. The state of Oklahoma doesn't believe that this was a way for Rent a Center to get back at my brother for not paying on the laptop. I know he may do stupid things, but I doubt he would actually shot anyone. I don't even believe that he actually said that.  I am not saying that he doesn't owe the money, but should he be fausly accuse of something that isn't true so someone can get back at him?

I heard about other cases where rent a center was being sued for doing this in other states.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/11/2013 10:44 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/RENT-A-CENTER/530-W-MAIN-ST-Oklahoma-73069/RENT-A-CENTER-Lied-to-police-to-get-my-brother-wrongfully-arrested-530-W-MAIN-ST-Oklaho-1083617. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on RENT-A-CENTER

Legal action?...Yes! Getting someone thrown in jail on fabricated charges...NO!

AUTHOR: coolgc - ()

Legal action like taking him to small claims court, not by saying that he threatened to shot someone when he never did. My brother has a lawyer who is working on a counter suit against RAC because of their actions. This wasn't a case of them suing him to get something back, it was a case of them lying so that he would go to jail which they knew would never happen otherwise.

I work at RAC...

AUTHOR: James - ()

Hi, I do work at RAC and I’m sorry to read about your brother’s experience with us. At RAC, we do everything we can to work with our customers on flexible payment plans that work best for them. That being said, when our customers neglect to make payments on the items they have rented from the company, RAC has the right to take legal action to reclaim the items and missed payments. This is only a matter of last resort when all other avenues have failed. If you or your brother have further questions about these cases, or would like to get more information, you should definitely contact our Customer Service line at 1-800-422-8186. I hope this helps.

MY BROTHER HAS SAUGHT LEGAL ADVICE

AUTHOR: coolgc - ()

My brother has a lawyer who is handling a counter suit against RAC. We have been informed not to contact RAC about this case. I find it hard to believe that a company that refused my brothers payments when he was trying to pay for the laptop before, would be willing to help him now.