Complaint Review: Rent A Center

• Submitted: Fri, November 07, 2008
  • Updated: Fri, September 28, 2012

• Reported By:hemet California
Rent A Center
2095 E Florida Ave Hemet, California U.S.A.

Rent A Center Harrasment to not only me but my friends and family Hemet California

*General Comment: That is not how it works

* : RENT-A-CENTER RIPPOFFS

*Consumer Suggestion: RAC Harrassment

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: In reference to the harassment calls

*Consumer Comment: wondering how things worked out

*Consumer Comment: Nothing against RAC

*Consumer Comment: RENT A CENTER.....HARRASSING LIARS

*Consumer Comment: JUST PAY YOUR BILL!!!! IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!

*Consumer Comment: California Collection Laws Concerning Rent A Center

*UPDATE Employee: I never said

*Consumer Comment: This is not just California, this seems to be an RAC common practice everywhere!

*UPDATE Employee: Are you serious?

*Consumer Comment: I agree with the complaint from Hemet CA!!

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: I agree with the complaint from Hemet CA!!

Someone has to get a handle on Rent a Center. I rented a couch set from Rent a Center and my sister rented a computer, I was current and on time with my payments, the first time they showed up at my door and told me I had to pay the rest of my sisters account or they were going to take it out of my payment and make me late on MY account. At the time I did'nt understand how RAC worked so I went ahead and paid off her computer and kept my account current. Just recently I fell behind on my weekly payments, the first time i fell behind I was two days late when the RAC manager called my job seven times when I couldnt get on the phone with them, I had 11 missed calls on my cell phone from RAC, when my cell phone wasnt answered they came to my second job looking for me. After doing all of that to get ahold of me I was intimidated to go back to pay my bill so I sent a friend to pay it for me.

I have been late on my payments and am currently late, but not because I dont have the money to pay but because each time they have come to my house (every day) they bully, harrass, and threaten, my 16 year old son, my roommate my sons friends and anyone else who opens the front door. When they show up at my house I hide in my room, I need to make my payment but Im scared to go the RAC store. There has got to be a law against a company coming to your place of employment and calling you 50 times a day where you work, I dont know what to do next.

Caligrl
hemet, California

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/07/2008 04:36 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rent-A-Center/Hemet-California-92544/Rent-A-Center-Harrasment-to-not-only-me-but-my-friends-and-family-Hemet-California-389034. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rent A Center

#1 General Comment

That is not how it works

AUTHOR: Fed Up - (United States of America)

You, as a manager, sound as though you try as hard as you can to work with your customers. However, if you pay attention to the vast number of complaints and the content of these complaints, I think you'd find that no one is saying that RAC is hiding anything. What we're all saying is that the way in which this company goes about 'contacting' us crosses the line and borderlines on harassment. If I rent an apartment or a house and I am late on a rental payment, my landlord DOES NOT call all of my references, my job or show up at their houses. I understand, and so does every other customer, that we signed a legal contract. We understand what our obligations are. We are all adults and know how the real world works. No one is looking for a free ride or a hand out. We are looking for MUTUAL respect. I no longer deal with RAC because of this very issue. A close friend of mine lost her job and was only renting a refrigerator. Now, because she lost her job she goes out when her kids are at school to find employment. Not an easy thing in today's economic crisis. When she finally had a moment to sit down and check her voice mail, she had 44 voice mail messages, which she was smart enough to save, and these messages were received over a two to three day period. I personally heard her offer money to them and ask if she could give the rest in a few days because she lost her job and she was treated like crap! I see your point about the 'after hours' messages you would receive if you had a voice mail box. I'm sorry, but that seems like a really lame excuse. There are HUGE businesses that have so many other things they have to deal with because of what they offer and they make sure that their consumers have a way of contacting them after hours. Do you think Apple says to themselves, "Oh, we COULD have a voice mail system for customers but it would just be a pain to have to listen to all those mundane messages. We'll just call them on OUR time." That is not good business. It is also not good business when calls are being made after seven at night. Also, ONE phone call to a reference listed should suffice. One, not five or six and DEFINITELY  not calling your place of employment or showing up there. Are you kidding me? One of your customers could lose their job and then NOT be able to pay for their product. I know YOU are not 'THE FACE OF RAC" and I'm not trying to direct this solely to you. I just had to respond to your comment because, while you sound sincere and nice, you also sound like you're spouting a memorized, blanket statement used in dealing with complaints. Also, please note that the date your comment was posted was 2008. I am posting this in 2012. Nothing has changed. The refrigerator incident happened yesterday, 9-28-12. I stopped dealing with RAC three months ago because I couldn't take the phone calls and the 'harassment' of my friends and family members. I went online to find a way to contact corporate and ran into the same problems everyone else on here was having. There is no way to communicate these issues with ANYONE who might have the 'pull' to fix them. RAC has an 'F' rating on the Better Business Bureau Website. What does that say? Again, not directed to you personally. Just throwing it out there.

#2

RENT-A-CENTER RIPPOFFS

AUTHOR: MAJIC - (USA)

RENTA CENTER IS THE WORST TO DEAL WITH! I TOTALLY AGREE AND HAVE EXPERIENCED THIS FIRST HAND! THEY ARE SOO RETARDED THINKING THEY CAN INTIMIDATE PEOPLE WITH THEIR UNPROFESSIONAL BEHAVIORS and unprofessional business practices.

I would call and make a payment and they would try to force me to pay the next payment in advance! WHEN I THINK OF THIS COMPANY I FEEL LIKE PUKING - YES, THROWING UP..

What kind of business practices do these people do.. OH AND THE WORST PART IS WHEN I TOLD THEM OK, JUST TAKE THE NEXT PAYMENT OUT OF MY CARD - THEY OVER CHARGED ME TWICE AS MUCH. i was FURIOUS!!! AND TOLD THEM TO GO TO HELL.

BECAUSE OF THEIR UNPROFESSIONAL AND DISGUSTING METHODS,, TRYING TO SCAM MORE MONEY FROM ME BY TRYING TO INTIMIDATE ME,,

IM NOT PAYING NO MORE... CAN'T STAND RIPP-OFFS, AND CAN'T STAND anyone trying to be SLICK WITH ME. FOR ALL I CAN SAY RENTA-CENTER CAN KISS MY A. I WOULD'NT RECOMMEND THIS BUSINESS TO MY WORST ENEMY.

#3 Consumer Suggestion

RAC Harrassment

AUTHOR: Shien - (U.S.A.)

It's true that RAC employees harrass. I don't know about the 3-calls-per-number policy but I've had had more than that. It taught me a lesson. Unfortunately, my job keeps me on the go during their office hours so sometimes it's hard for me to call their office.

But what is funny is that when they call to collect, there will be several people trying to reach you. But when it is you who need to talk to them to follow up for service or repairs, there is nobody that you can reach. It's either, "I don't know anything about that", or "Someone else was working for this account", or "Sorry, the guy who was supposed to do this is no longer here"...

It took me 3 months to get someone to do something about a part of my appliance because "I could always return it".

The people at RAC will work with you, especially when you know your rights.

#4 UPDATE EX-employee responds

In reference to the harassment calls

AUTHOR: Brentp - (U.S.A.)

In reference to the harassment calls the best thing I can suggest being a former employee with Rent A Center for 3 years I held the title of assistant manager I invested 3 years of my life to this company and I was fired for knowing too much about the company and trying to expose the truth. Im willing to give each and every one of you insite into the company and what steps I would suggest in taking if you feel that you have been wronged, mistreated, harassed. My suggestion to Caligirl with her issues of having 11 missed calls in one day, Now, Rent A Center allows 3 phone calls per day to one number I.E If you have a cell phone Rent A Center may only call that number 3 times per day but may only leave 2 messages. If you have a home phone number as well Rent A Center may call this number 3 times per day but may only 2 messages, anymore calls or messages after that is considered harassment (depending on your states Rent To Own laws which vary) so with that being said you can receive up to 6 phones calls and 4 messages per day anymore than that is violation of Rent A Centers policies and procedures and also MAY violate state rent to own laws again depending on your state. Caligirl if you feel that your being called too much than this is what I suggest you do. Rent A Center keeps a phone log of how many calls were made to that number employees are required by Rent A Centers' policies to log all of these calls which are available upon request to the store manager. So what I would do is I would get a copy of ALL the phone calls that have been made on your account and with this information I would contact NOT only a contract lawyer but I would contact a civil one as well and show him the information you have and he can determine the validity of your claim and may wish to pursue. If you have questions i encourage you to please contact me at my email address Exstasyismybuddd@yahoo.com I will answer your questions to the best of my knowledge I know I can be alot of help to alot of people out there I know alot I will not be able to solve your issues that you may have but I can atleast give you a starting point. So please feel free to contact me.

wondering how things worked out

AUTHOR: Melissa - (U.S.A.)

i was wondering if everything finally got settled u give the stuff back,they leave u alone or what

Nothing against RAC

AUTHOR: Madaijai - (U.S.A.)

I have been dealing with RAC for over 10 years. I have had only 1 misunderstanding with them and it was resolved AFTER communicating with the Manager of the local store. It's very sad if the consumers are actually afraid to go into their local stores. The way RAC works....(at least in my experience) if you miss your payment and do not call them, yes, you will receive phone calls. If you do not contact them after 48 hours then they are calling your references and your home....any longer than that...yes, you will be getting more phone calls, and then you get the notes on your door. The best policy is honesty and communication. STOP HIDING!!! PAY YOUR BILL!! And yes, it's that simple. They do not want to speak to anyone but the person who signed the agreement. I give KUDOS to my RAC store. If you don't want to pay the bill, then let RAC do their job and pick up the merchandise. JEEZ!!! These people are helping you get the things you want when you want them so return the favor! NO PAY.....NO MERCHANDISE!

RENT A CENTER.....HARRASSING LIARS

AUTHOR: Salesbruce - (U.S.A.)

ok i have had the same problem. i rented a bedroom set from rent a center,they dropped it off i told them i would set it up myself due to needing the clean up the area it was going, when i went to set it up the gave me the wrong sides and middle for the bed, i went back to the store and they did not have the correct sides but gave me middle pieces from antother bed which was still not the correct one i also order a couch from them which they still didnt have in stock they told me they would order the couch (finally) and the right parts to the bed and call me when they came in i told them ok and i will come in and pay when you call me to let me know you have the correct parts cause im not gonna pay if i dont have the right parts and cannot use the bed they told me no no please we value your business we will call you when we have the correct parts and you can pay then i said fine i waited 2 weeks no call went in ( my bill still wanst due because they had a promition going on where you got month free) and they still havent even ordeed the right parts told me dont worry we are waiting till we have a big enough order to ship your order out//blah blah blah..... we will call you when it comes in...been waiting for there call no call.....about a week ago i got a message from my sis and two friends that they have been calling them non stop bugging them to tell them i owe money,first of all i dont live in the same state as any of them, second they have my phone number,why cant they call me to let me know i am due to pay and i also find it annoying they are telling firnds and family i owe them money and t=my sis yells at them to stop calling her cause it is harrassment to her she dont talk to me,dont live in the same state as me and cant make me do anything that she would tell me but thats it.....and i dont wanna hear just pay your bill cause as far as i was concered i was suppose to be waiting for a phone call to know my parts came in and pay them and it has alos completely slipped my mind but rent a center employees that post on here...your gonna stick up for the compnay no matter what but going to peoples jobs and calling jobs is gonna get them fired then how do you expect to get your money...didnt think of that did you? and why is it so unbelive the other peoples stories?? bugging the person that owes money is one story but bugging family and friends that have nothing to do with it and cant do anything about it is harrasment and i was never informed they would be harrassed if i was late on a payment i was only told they would call to veriyf i was a reliable person and i told them not to bug these people so go ahead and bug me fine but stop harrassing other people what do you think that will really do

JUST PAY YOUR BILL!!!! IT'S NOT THAT HARD!!!

AUTHOR: Raccollectionwife - (U.S.A.)

Now i have a few comments on that hemet, RAC story. Now first of all let me just say my husband works for rac. and you should hear some of the stories and excuses people come up with why they can't or should i say won't pay there bill. It's seriously ridiculous!!!!!!!!!! Now he wouldn't be knocking at your door or showing up at your work if you returned there phone calls or JUST PAYED YOUR BILL ON TIME!!!!!! Now if someone owed you money wouldn't you expect them to pay you. It's the same thing except the only difference is it's okay cause you owe it. They understand the economy sucks right now. And let me tell you i know for a fact they work with you if your a few days late every so once in awhile i've been in the store when i've heard them helping people who needed to be alittle late. But would you want to help work out payments with someone who was late every week or said they were going to pay at a certain time and never did. but no of course rac is the bad guy cause they expect you to pay on time. which let me tell you even before my hubby worked for them we rented from them and we didn't have any trouble with them harrassing us or calling us because we stayed in contact with them when we were alittle late and we were a few times. but i also know when we signed that contract they did tell us they needed to call refrences and they needed those refrences just in case we decided not to pay or to skip with there stuff. they have alot of furniture in there store the last thing they want to do is come pick yours up so they have more. it's so funny i think when your first renting from them and you first get your stuff or when you want something from them they are your best friend. but when it comes time to pay or return your stuff cause YOU can't afford it there your worst enemy. It all comes down to if you pay your bill like you agreed to, there wouldn't be any issues and you wouldn't be writing in this report. Maybe for you not paying rac should put your name in here for ripping them off!!!!!!!

California Collection Laws Concerning Rent A Center

AUTHOR: Tony - (U.S.A.)

As a retired " Collection Attorney " who made his living collecting money for individuals and various companies I found the Caligirl story amusing. If what she says is even partially correct she could own Rent A Center after litigating aginst Rent A Center for collection law violations. From all the collection law violations I saw in her story I could not beleive that RAC would be so STUPID to act in the manner discribed. The guy that rebutted ( the Store manager ? ) was also funny . One of the oldest rules in lending is to tell the customer , " If you have any problems contact us or me ". Its up to the customer to make contact no matter how hard. Caligirl needs to read the California Uniform Comercial Code and the applicable Collection laws for the state of California. Depending on exactly how the contract you signed is worded you can wave your rights but only up to a point. RAC can not violate collection law. Check you contract and call a personal injury Attorny and you might get a lot of money if your story is accurate. By the way I have collected in the Hemit area and did not find lenders who violated the law as you lead us to beleive. Can RAC really be so stupid ?

AUTHOR: Tbluedevil - (U.S.A.)

Never in my previous post, did I say that I wouldn't work with a customer if they came in before their due date to inform me they would be late on their next payment. I actually encourage this action. When that happens, my customer and I have a quick two minute conversation about anything we may be able to do, come to an agreement and then I give them a total for what their past due payment will be. I note our conversation in our computer and it's done. No more questions asked. I do hold them to do agreement however, but the customer understands why. Because it's the plan of action the BOTH PARTIES agreed on. My store personnel does not go out of their way to pickup items from our customers. We enjoy our customers, treat them with respect, and build long-term relationships. If other stores would try it, they would find it to be very self-rewarding also. I enjoy my job at RAC, but enjoy my weekly conversations with my customers even more. Even the bad apples in the bunch don't change my opinion of the rest of them.
As far as calling the references listed on the order form, my potential customers understand this due to the fact that we verify order forms while the they are in the store. We also ask the references if it will be ok to contact them if we cannot get ahold of the customer. We let them know that this is a last resort, but it could happen. We also explain the ENTIRE rental agreement to the potential customer to ensure clear understanding of what is expected of them and what to expect from us in the future. Absolutely nothing is hidden.

AUTHOR: Tbluedevil - (U.S.A.)

AUTHOR: Terrin - (U.S.A.)

I am thousands of miles from California but I had the exact same experience. Further more, if you do not answer when they call from their office (and sorry, they are calling you at work you can not always just answer) they will begin calling you from cell phone numbers and blocked numbers because they assume that all of their customers are low lifes. I had two full bedroom sets, a television and other items with them. After the 2nd time this happened (and contrary to what the other store manager listed here, they don't care if you tell them in advance you will be late) I told them to come pick up their stuff and I was done doing business with them.

What RAC does not tell you when you fill out a rental application is that if you are late they will not only harrass you, they will start calling every person on your reference list. But the other writer is correct, they are as nice as pie when you show up in their office to pay.

My son lives in Texas and had this experiece. So if it happens in California, Colorado and Texas it would seem that is an RAC policy to do this to everyone late on a payment.

Are you serious?

AUTHOR: Tbluedevil - (U.S.A.)

I'm a Store Manager for RAC and I honestly don't understand where you're coming from by being so scared of the store personnel. All they want to do is collect your payment and they'll stop harassing you (which they shouldn't being doing for any reason), but you say you won't pay and hate the calls. I don't get it. If you walk into the store, explain your situation, they will be more than happy to accept your money and get you off their past due list. I'm very sorry that these people seem to be malicious in doing their collections as it's employees like these that give us others in the business a bad name. Please, don't avoid them if you're serious about paying and want them to cease the calls. Now keep in mind that if you make this payment, you will be due again and they will call on the due date, but all you need to do is go in again on your next due date and you're on your way to being gold in their eyes.
As far as the matter of not having answering machines or external e-mail, that would make for horrific results for RAC due to everyone waiting until 10 minutes after the store closes and leaving a message stating that they won't be in to pay until such and such date. All we in the store ask you to do is, pick out what you want, make your payment on time, and we WILL take care of the rest (service, delivery, move your item if needed, etc).
Again, I'm sorry that these people have made you so nervous to face them.

I agree with the complaint from Hemet CA!!

AUTHOR: SoCaliGirl - (U.S.A.)

I actually thought I was the only one living in fear of Rent-A-Center. My experience is from their Fontana store, howver, I have the same exact complaints as Hemet.

I too have the money and want to just pay my damn balance. But how can you when you're litterally uncomfortable with dealing with these people. And for anyone who wants to jump my case about being weak, no back bone, etc.... you couldn't be any more wrong.

They flipping call over and over and over and over and over and over and over again! I have voicemail, unlike Rent-A-Center! I have no problem communicating with them, however, I absolutely refuse to do it directly over the phone one on one or in person. It's not gona happen Rent-A-Center! Do you hear me..... never.

I'm not sure if HemetGirl (sorry, forgot your user name) has looked into any other possible resources to get a message to her store, but, let me save everyone some time. Apparently there is no other way to communicate with these people. I've even gone as far as calling their stupid Corporate Office. You'd think Corporate right? They'll help, or at least they can send a message to the store or something right? Wrong! I talked to the rudest women who told me I have no choice but to call the store. Despite me telling them how uncomfortable I am dealing with these people, they don't care.

You can not communicate with your local Rent-A-Center location via email.
You can not communicate with your local Rent-A-Center by leaving them a message. If you call after hours the phone just rings and rings and rings.

You can not communicate with your local Rent-A-Center by for instance logging in online to your account and clicking on a "contact us".

I hide in my back room when they come banging on the door. If they had voicemail, email, a night drop box or anything then we might be able to have a two way form of communication. Not to mention "tracking". I've read on so many post that Rent-A-Center lies and says they do not call over and over. Who can prove that? They always call from different caller id phones or it'll ring as *restricted*.

I think it's absolutely ridiculous that when I called Corporate and made a direct complaint about harrassment with a local store I was still informed that I HAVE TO DEAL WITH MY LOCAL STORE! Is she for real? I asked for an area managers name/ph# or a regional district mgr info, anything. I clearly am trying to communicate and they litterally will not unless they talk to me directly.

G'luck with that Rent-A-Center - it'll never happen.

#17 UPDATE EX-employee responds

I agree with the complaint from Hemet CA!!

AUTHOR: SoCaliGirl - (U.S.A.)

I seriously thought I was the only one hiding from them. I'm on the same boat as you. I've gone a few steps further trying to figure out a way to communicate with my local store (not hemet but in the Inland Empire) and it seems to be nearly impossible.

Does everybody realize that Rent-A-Center does not have a voicemail machine for customers to leave THEM a message? I've even called their corporate customer service yesterday and asked them to leave my local office a message. I was told NO.... That I had to call the local store.

They're crazy if they think they can make anyone do anything! I too (just like Hemet girl) have the money to bring my account current but I do not want to talk to them. I do not want to go into the store and see them. They harrass the holy crap out of me, friends, family, etc. And yes, I get it..... (for all of you current Rent-A-Center employees who will have a fit over my post) we all know we signed a contract, we all know we agreed to terms, etc....

But what's up with no voicemail, email address, online payment, payment in a different store (to avoid dealing with your own store directly) or a drop box so we can drop off a payment after hours.

I want to make my payment but i'm not dealing with them directly. I refuse!!! Hear me, refuse Rent-A-Center.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC