Complaint Review: Rite Rug

• Submitted: Tue, November 18, 2003
  • Updated: Mon, October 13, 2008

• Reported By:Canal Winchester Ohio
Rite Rug
3949 Business Park Columbus, Ohio U.S.A.

Rite Rug ripoff on carpet Columbus Ohio

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Rite Rug Rip Off

*Consumer Comment: Setting the record straight

*UPDATE EX-employee responds: Rite Rug is far from a rip-off

My wife and I bought carpet from Rite Rug less than a year ago and it started to pull and run. The represenative came out and said that is was the carpet but he will go back to Mike at Rite Rug. We called Rite rug and they were going to replace the carpet but we would have to pay the difference. It was no longer in stock.

When we called back again to find out how to get it resolved. The represenative said Mike the manager told him this was not Rite Rugs problem and it was the installer. The installer came out and said it was the carpet and requested we call Rite rug. We did with the installer and Mike at Rite rug and no other manager would pick up.Weeks went by and we finally got a call from customer service stating Mike will make the decision and will call back that day. This was two weeks ago and still no call.

When I called today Mike was not in and will not be back until the end of the week. I was transferred to Don Penrod's voice mail and left a message there. All the decision makers at Rite rug do not answer the phone they hide behind the voice mail and refuse to replace or correct bad carpet. They blame the installer and when the installer wants to get into detail with Rite rug, they won't pick up or a managers is never around.

Anthony
Canal Winchester, Ohio

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 11/18/2003 08:39 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Rite-Rug/Columbus-Ohio-43204/Rite-Rug-ripoff-on-carpet-Columbus-Ohio-72267. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Rite Rug

#1 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Rite Rug Rip Off

AUTHOR: Kdfelix - (U.S.A.)

To all out there Rite Rug also has a office In Louisville, Kentucky with the same bad reputation they have earned in Ohio. I worked in the Louisville Store for many years and in which time I must say Consumer Beware as they live up to the bad reputation they earned they rip off from consumers as well as employess and do not think twice about doing so . avoid any business dealings with this company.

Setting the record straight

AUTHOR: Todd - (U.S.A.)

Julie

Your loyalty to Rite-Rug is a nice thing but you should not be confused with certain facts in the carpet / flooring industry.

First thing as an ex-installer for Rite-Rug I would agree with you about Mr. Penrod's reputation he is a fine and upstanding individual. As an employee / contractor for him I had nothing but an outstanding relationship with him. But as a 20-year veteran in the flooring industry I would like to point out a few problems with your statements.

1: On another note, many of the installers at Rite Rug are contracted and therefore are not exactly employees of the company.
As a sub-contractor I was hired by Rite-Rug and many other companies, to install carpet for their customers, I was sent out on the job by Rite-Rug, and I was paid by Rite-Rug and I had a monetary retainer taken out of my check by Rite-Rug. I had no contact with any customer except through Rite-Rug. Thus in my opinion (and the opinion of any court in America) I was an employee of Rite-Rug.

2: However, Don Penrod is a truly decent and honest man and I have no doubt that if he knew about the problem he would have it fixed immediately.
If everything reported is true why should Mr. Penrod be involved in the loop. It should have never gotten to him. Mike should have handled the complaint.

3: Also, if you do not for some reason want to contact Rite Rug again, I would try calling the manufacturer because Rite Rug is a retail store and does not actually make the carpet.
If the customer could get through to the manufacturer he would be told that it is the responsibility of the store that sold him the carpet to take care of any warranty issues. Yes over the years I have handled warranty issues without going through the original installing store but the process is so mind-numbing and repetitive that most loyal customers give up and live with the problem.

Is Don Penrod you Dad? My god such devotion it's a wonder you no longer work for him. Why did you leave?

Now as for you Anthony.

First have you ever thought about having both parties (Mike and installer) at the house at the same time? This solves a lot of time and confusion for everybody concerned. Nobody can play the blame game, as it looks like it was played on you.

Also you must understand that people do go on vacation. And you must understand that is a reasonable response for a company to give to their customers. If there ares two many people in the mix confusion ensues.

#3 UPDATE EX-employee responds

Rite Rug is far from a rip-off

AUTHOR: Julie - (U.S.A.)

I don't even know where to begin. First of all, I'd like to say that Don Penrod is a wonderful individual and a very smart businessman. He would never rip-off a person intentionally and I find it to be a stab at his character to say that. I know for a fact that he puts his customers first and that he is always happy to help in any way that he can.

Second, I have personally called every, so called "decision maker" at Rite Rug, and have never had a problem getting through to any of them. So it is also an unfair statement to say that they hide behind their voicemails. Is it possible that the one time you called Don just happened to be away from his desk or out of town and never received the message?

On another note, many of the installers at Rite Rug are contracted and therefore are not exactly employees of the company. That means that Mike was correct in his explanation about why you would need to pay. However, Don Penrod is a truly decent and honest man and I have no doubt that if he knew about the problem he would have it fixed immediately.

Also, if you do not for some reason want to contact Rite Rug again, I would try calling the manufacturer because Rite Rug is a retail store and does not actually make the carpet. So, while I know that Rite Rug stands behind the carpet that they sell, I would still contact the company that made the carpet and see if they can do anything to help you.

Next, I have Rite Rug carpet in my home and I know a lot of people who also have purchased carpet from the store and I have never had a problem. In addition to myself, none of my friends have ever had a problem either. However, the few complaints that Rite Rug did receive while I worked there were handled with the utmost courtesy and were handled as soon as possible. So if I were you, I would think about how you went about contacting the company and consider whether you treated the employees fairly.

Lastly, before you start trashing perfectly respectable companies and men on the internet, I would make sure that you have all of your facts straight. Rite Rug is a well-known and very well-liked company in Columbus and throughout Ohio and I find it funny that you have had such a problem with a company that most people consider to be very dignified. Finally, on one last note, Don Penrod is the best thing that has ever happened to that company, and he is a very righteous man.
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC