Complaint Review: Robert Haight

• Updated: Mon, October 07, 2013

• Reported By: BeingScammed2013 — San Jose California
Robert Haight
20458 Pacific Coast Highway Malibu, California USA

Robert Haight, Robert Bruce, malibushorerealty@hotmail.com Homeaway Property Owner 930281 Blamed Me for Plumbing Failures, Blackmailed Me, Then Took My Deposit! Malibu California

I was an innocent traveler trying to stay in a wonderful vacation home in Malibu at the beach for one week with my teenage son before he goes to college. This was our last Summer fun in early September, 2013, rented a homeaway.com property 930281 from the owner named Robert Haight, also goes by Rob Bruce,  and his email is malibushorerealty@hotmail.com.

There were so many problems from the start with this owner, beginning with him "accidentally" tearing up my deposit check when he first received it in the mail, and then he said that maybe I tore up the check prior to sending it to him. Now why would I send him half a check when trying to book my dream vacation?! He played games like this from the very start.

His Malibu home shows so many signs of distress and has major plumbing problems! Kitchen sink faucet was leaking our 1st night, got all our stuff on the counter wet! And NO napkins or paper towels to clean up because he provides no supplies in his large home, only a few hand towels that we wrapped around the base for 7 days...he said he'd repair it AFTER we left. Our 3rd day, the master bath showerhead spewed water out all sides when simply moving the arm to direct the flow. The connector fell apart and from then on, we couldn't use the master shower. We couldn't do laundry the whole week because the washer was broken, bathroom faucets had slow drips, toilets took 3 attempts to flush. Bath towels and blankets were stained with rust, the furniture is very stained, smells very old and dirty.

We were still meticulous and responsible in his home. After we left, he actually blamed me for his plumbing problems! OMG, he said I broke the sink and shower! Are you kidding me?! Plumbing breaks only when it is old and worn, otherwise you need tools to pry it apart! He had no time to check and repair anything between all his guests and now he's trying to blame me for all this! It gets worse, he then threatened to hold my deposit until I gave him a minimum 4 star review! He even told me what to say, "pointing out only the good parts of the experience". He acknowledged the "real problems" we had in many emails and now wants to cover it up with a fake review. Unbelievable!

It took weeks to receive my deposit back, long after his rental agreement that states "within 2 weeks after checkout" and even after California rental laws allow. When I finally received my deposit back, he only returned $50! I gave him $500 for the security deposit and I was so clean and neat in his home and he took $450 of my deposit to pay for his plumbing problems! I am absolutely stunned. His house is falling apart and he can't afford the upkeep. But to take advantage of a Mom and her son like this is so unacceptable!

If he treats his vacation guests like this, I can imagine how much he is scamming his realty clients. Therefore, I had to report this crook so that everyone knows the truth about Robert Haight. The address of the vacation property is 20458 Pacific Coast Highway, Malibu, CA 90265. Just in case he removes his homeaway ad because of my negative review, beware of ever renting from this man or at this property address.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 10/07/2013 03:23 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/Robert-Haight/Malibu-California-90265/Robert-Haight-Robert-Bruce-malibushorerealtyhotmailcom-Homeaway-Property-Owner-930281-1090168. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on Robert Haight