Complaint Review: rockauto.com

• Updated: Wed, September 11, 2013

• Reported By: Anov229 — Itasca Illinois
rockauto.com
, Select State/Province USA

rockauto.com Rock Auto Sent wrong part which caused hundreds of dollars in damage internet

I am rebuilding my toyota camrys engine and used rockauto.com for most of the parts required. One of the many parts I ordered from them (totaling about 1,000$) was a timing belt component kit which included a tensioner pulley and spring. After I had everything installed and started the engine for the first time everything seemed to be going well until I kicked the engen up to 2,000 rpm and then the engine died followed by a loud bang. I found that the timing belt had shredded causing the crank to turn without turning the cam shafts, resulting in a piston colliding with some valves.

After careful inspection I found that the reason the belt failed was because the tensioner spring was too short and didn't provide enough tension on the timing belt. I went to a Toyota dealership and bought the spring from them and found the one that rockauto sent me was about 1/4 inch too long. Now I have to rebuild my cylinder head... again. I called them and explained the situation but they said they only honor manufacture warrantys so I could get the 3.00$ back for the spring, gee thanks. It'll cost at least 250$ to rebuild the head, not to mention the extra hours of labor. All I wanted was them to send me the valves and a gasket set, I wasn't trying to get compensated for the labor but they wouldn't even do that.

The parts are cheap as hell but it's not worht the hassle, go to your local auto parts store and spend a little more, at least you'll know you got a good part rather than some cheap ass chinese piece of shit.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 09/11/2013 10:13 AM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/rockautocom/Select-StateProvince/rockautocom-Rock-Auto-Sent-wrong-part-which-caused-hundreds-of-dollars-in-damage-interne-1083608. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on rockauto.com