Cried

Complaint Review: rolls moving and storage

• Submitted: Sat, July 06, 2013
  • Updated: Sat, July 06, 2013

• Reported By: Mike — Manassas Virginia
rolls moving and storage
316 Talbott Ave Laurel, Maryland USA

rolls moving and storage Horror moving experience Laurel Maryland

Stay out of those guys, move your stuff yourself if it comes to that, but do not use them.

This was a horrible moving experience at many levels. IF there was a 0 stars rating, it would have been my rating.

- Staff professionalism:
We opted for the three guys plus car option. So we had a "manager" plus two helpers. One of the helper was literally not doing anything (walking back and forth behind the two other guys who did the lifting, wandering in the yard, at one point he spent 25 minutes in the bathroom, we had to knock pretending we needed the bathroom. After he left, I instantly went in and it smelt smoke, I wouldn't say what kind). I tried couple of times to get him to take something to the truck, his reply is that his manager should ask him to do so.

I pulled the manager aside and respectfully told him that I would like to see the third guy doing more and his reply was giving me his back, walking away and shouting "some lifting is a two man job", I offered to help, he didn't reply.

Later durinthe move, the manager is yelling and screaming clearly stating that "he does not care" "don't expect me to apologize". They ripped the vinyl kitchen floor in 6 spots because they didn't properly handle our freezer (I was able to move it in front of them without damaging the floor). The tried to get our treadmill in, not even looking where things go, it bumped through the door frame, the "manager" didn't even look at where it is bumping, he forces it again, and again and again, banging the treadmill against the door frame. I had to ask him to stop and rotate the thing around to go in.

- Price & Hidden fees:

Their website states "no hidden fees".

We were quoted $90/hour (plus one hour charged as "travel time"). The truck arrived with huge printed ad of "$79.99 / hour for Truck plus three guys"..

As soon as the guy walked in, before doing anything, he wanted us to sign paperwork, fine (the clock is ticking by the way, from their perspective and you have to read the contract with all fine print). I asked them if I can have time to read it while they start, they said they can't start until I sign. Meanwhile, the "manager" is walking around seeing what to be moved (he was actually identifying extra cash to be made). When we called to book the service, they said they take care of packaging the items.

Now that the guy is here, that we need to obviously move, he looks at my wife's mirror closets and say that he can't move this unless shrink wrapped. The closet is actually 4 closets from Ikea connected to each other. The shrink wrap is an extra fee: $20 per closet (he used in total no more than a quarter shrink wrap roll, the exact kind you get for $8 at home depot for the full roll). They then taped the "free" blankets around the closet. Oh yes, $16 was charged for the two rolls of tapes used during the move.

They looked at our two beds (we were moving from a 3 bedroom, an information they asked for when quoting us): so they told us to wrap each mattress is $20 (or $25, I really forgot) per mattress. We said don't wrap them. Our mattresses had the zipped protective cover because we have a baby, so we thought we would just wash those later and save. They didn't like that. I mean, you are moving a house, don't you expect to have.... mattresses? But no, they have to come up with hidden fees.

They looked at the T.V. and said exactly "oh, you have a TV? You are moving this?". I was stunned by the question (oh, am I the only household with a TV??). I Said "yes of course". The response was "It is a $25 extra". I didn't like that at all (things started going sour from this point when they noticed we were not ready to be ripped). I politely declined and told him that in my opinion this is an expected item to move. My wife and I took the TV to the backseat of our car. Of course, they refused to help me carry it to my car.

Finally we have a freezer ($25 for bulky item). I am paying by the hour with the truck, but they said it requires extra handling. I didn't have a choice there so I went with it.The freezer was quite heavy (but they had the wheeled hand truck to put it on). We had cooked frozen food and we can't get them out of there, otherwise they are no longer freezable.

- The "Supervisor": (Andrew Keh)
Oh this guy is something.. So, the movers damaged our door frame and facing wall, with the treadmill, the damaged pieces of furniture because they didn't blanket pad them (we have a nice black and expensive 6 foot long thin TV stand, now with a chunk of wood missing from the top), and the kitchen floor that basically need to be replaced.

At this point I told them I need them to please be more careful, that they are just throwing stuff around, etc. They stopped working, started yelling that our stuff is heavy, and asking me to pay (they didn't finish unloading the truck yet). I said I have no problem paying, but that I need to talk to the manager. The two helpers (not the manager) started laughing telling me I have no idea about the supervisor.

They wanted me to pay and sign final document that states the items were unloaded fine. There is a "remarks" section there, I wanted to write down the damages incurred so far, I told them I would pay but hold off on signing that document till the end (to see what else went wrong). They refused, they stopped working (but the clock is ticking) and demanded immediate payment and signature. Half of our stuff is still in their truck. So I called the Supervisor who told me to sign and pay, and they tomorrow (Monday) I can request a claims form, fill it and they will process the claim. I am not stupid.

I took pictures of the damaged items on the spot, I insisted that I write the damages in the "remarks" section and he refused saying that they have a clear process I have to follow. He said he will call the manager who will give me instructions. I took a video from my phone of the manager talking and acknowledging the damages over the phone. At one point he noticed I am recording and he started screaming, yelling and physically threatening ("this is the first and last time I am telling you to stop filming me before I take that phone"). Anyway, I got away with writing the remarks section filled, I paid them (they didn't work for 25mn while we were arguing about the damages, but it was on our clock).

They presented me with another document to sign, stating that no matter what the claims result is, that I can not dispute the credit charges because of that. They insisted I sign it. My wife at this point just wanted to get out of this horror and wanted to sign, I told them I want to read it first, but since I paid them, they should resume working (I hid the document and they forgot about it, I was not willing to sign that). They slowed down their work, and I had to pay for an extra hour (they demanded cash, no more credit card, for the extra hour).

Three days later, I heard no one about our "claims". I called to ask for a claim form. The Supervisor "Andrew" is like "we only refund $0.6/pound, you will really not get much, do you really want to waste your time and mine in paperwork". I said "yes please I would like the form". His response is "but your furniture got damaged because of your treadmill". I replied that it was damaged because it was not properly protected. He started heating up and stating that my claim will be declined anyway. I asked how can he decide without even seeing the claim and proof? He is like "why are you doing this, for the money? for a small TV stand that you got for $40 or $50" (I mean, this is just unbelievable how this guy talkes).

I said it is worth more than that, but my biggest claim is the kitchen floor that got ripped. He said "those were negligeable because the freezer is heavy, they are very small I saw the pictures". I stopped him there and said "which pictures? None of your stuff took pictures and I didn't submit any yet". There he became very nervous "you are not getting anything, not even the form, I am hanging up now" and he hang up! I recalled and he sent me to voicemail. I called from a different number, he picked up the phone but hang up as soon as he heard my voice.

We never received a claim form.

This report was posted on Ripoff Report on 07/06/2013 11:48 PM and is a permanent record located here: http://www.ripoffreport.com/r/rolls-moving-and-storage/Laurel-Maryland-20707/rolls-moving-and-storage-Horror-moving-experience-Laurel-Maryland-1064969. The posting time indicated is Arizona local time. Arizona does not observe daylight savings so the post time may be Mountain or Pacific depending on the time of year.

Click Here to read other Ripoff Reports on rolls moving and storage